Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I reckon Caddy is a good mid and very good forward. IMHO we should be rotating Josh and Dusty mid and forward all game all year. Resting them, putting a big body in the middle and causing mismatches.

Cads can be a really dominant player. He's right now a basically AA grade medium forward, and B grade mid. There's no reason he can't be a better mid and just as good a forward.
By having both in the midfield we would in most cases be just matching up. We dont have a hell of a lot of big ball winning mids and in games we have lost it has shown up.
Edwards, Prestia, Lambert, Higgins, Graham Ellis are all smallls and cotchin at 185 is a medium sized mid.
when we add in Houl;i and Short down back and the three amigos Butler, Rioli, and Castagna and there isn't a hell of a lot of height and size left.
Its probably one reason why McIntosh keeps getting a game despite being so poor and why Grigg is persevered with.
Its why Caddy playing thru there and getting games into Ross and RC-D is so important.

I think there is another slant on his performances
when first at Richmond he looked like was feeling his way into a new club/team
a lot of us didn't embrace him and his performances were so so and kicking for goal was woeful

then in the run to the finals things started coming together and he played with more confidence
and I'd put more than he ever has

2018 was a pretty spectacular year for him , he exceeded everyones expectations
he played with high confidence and also showed leadership and maturity at times
in one game when he flew for a mark , un realistic attempt , Grimmes ran past and gave him a tap on the noggin
the next day I saw Josh being interviewed and he was asked about it and he said Grimmes inferred use you head and do the team thing
they way he responded it sounded like he had full respect for Grimmes and his on the ground feedback

this season he will have some different challenges thrown at him and some he hasn't done well at in the past
but I think he's up for it because of the way he is going about it and the environment he is in

Small detail but I think it was Astbury who tapped him on the noggin....(if I'm thinking of the same game?)...

Not true at all, he wanted more midfield time.
As told to afl.com.au on the day of his arrival at Tigerland;

Caddy will have more of an opportunity to play predominately in the midfield at the Tigers and has been given a generous four-ye

The 24-year-old was originally drafted to the Suns with pick seven in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.

He has spent the past four seasons with the Cats after being traded at the end of 2012.

Caddy played 18 games this year, including both of Geelong's finals games, averaging 20.9 possessions per game, but had to fight for time in the midfield.

"I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a huge consideration in the decision," Caddy said.

"Geelong's midfield has so much depth with the players they have brought in in the last few years.

"Two weeks ago I was happy to stay and keep fighting for a spot in that midfield."

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/geelong-midfielder-josh-caddy-traded-to-richmond
I can only.go by what he told me, he hates the midfield Grockadoc

Not true at all, he wanted more midfield time.
As told to afl.com.au on the day of his arrival at Tigerland;

Caddy will have more of an opportunity to play predominately in the midfield at the Tigers and has been given a generous four-ye

The 24-year-old was originally drafted to the Suns with pick seven in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.

He has spent the past four seasons with the Cats after being traded at the end of 2012.

Caddy played 18 games this year, including both of Geelong's finals games, averaging 20.9 possessions per game, but had to fight for time in the midfield.

"I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a huge consideration in the decision," Caddy said.

"Geelong's midfield has so much depth with the players they have brought in in the last few years.

"Two weeks ago I was happy to stay and keep fighting for a spot in that midfield."

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/geelong-midfielder-josh-caddy-traded-to-richmond
Miles running through the mid field!?!

Well if RCD & Ross both develop as we want them to then they automatically add the size that we need,Lets hope these 2 boys really become what we need

But if we could somehow attract Jacob Hopper next trade period he would be a great addition and provide our inside mids with both depth & Quality

By having both in the midfield we would in most cases be just matching up. We dont have a hell of a lot of big ball winning mids and in games we have lost it has shown up.
Edwards, Prestia, Lambert, Higgins, Graham Ellis are all smallls and cotchin at 185 is a medium sized mid.
when we add in Houl;i and Short down back and the three amigos Butler, Rioli, and Castagna and there isn't a hell of a lot of height and size left.
Its probably one reason why McIntosh keeps getting a game despite being so poor and why Grigg is persevered with.
Its why Caddy playing thru there and getting games into Ross and RC-D is so important.

Agree and disagree. We do Ok against all bar the monsters. And Graham isn't small.

But yes, a monster mid or two would help us a lot. Especially against the few top shelf 192cm+ quality mids. We have quality, which I'd take over size any day. But quality + size is the thing that can separate a good player form a star, and can elevate a team. IMHO it is not so much a weakness for us, as an area we don't have strength in.

You see thats where we differ he went to Geelong and broke into a midfield that had already won three premierships' it took him two seasons to do so. He had two very good seasons playing thru there and then came to us. But hey it was only an average midfield lol. As i said i hope you apply the same standards to our players as you do others.

With your logic we may as well say martin cant play midfield because our mids were shizen in 2016 its a nonsense.
In anyones language as a big inside mid 20 disposals is very passable, 10 contested A grade, 5 clearances A grade, 5 tackles A grade yet because Geelong as a whole were poor Caddy's yr was woeful FAIR ENOUGH no arguing against that.

You TOTALLY miss my point but hey that's ok. You keep pushing that barrow.

Caddy in doubt for rnd 1 with an ankle injury
Might be good news for either Moore or Balta.
Plenty of time to get a ankle better, I would think he plays off the article

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 weeks for an ankle - he's done a good job on it but better now than at the pointy end of the season or before an important h&a clash. I just hope it's not the ankle he had surgery on.

Love Balmey's response, he needs a rest and he'll be ok. My only issue with Balmey's chat with the media is it makes me think caddy's ankle is far worse than we've been let on...

IF Caddy fails to get up for early rounds and we are looking for someone to play that medium forward role Vlastuin would be a good option (Markov to hb). Not exactly like for like but Vlassy would hit the scoreboard.
Or we go 2 talls 4 smalls as suggested by others

IF Caddy fails to get up for early rounds and we are looking for someone to play that medium forward role Vlastuin would be a good option (Markov to hb). Not exactly like for like but Vlassy would hit the scoreboard.
Or we go 2 talls 4 smalls as suggested by others

Don't mind the Vlossy idea. Not a big fan of robbing peter to pay Paul but, against a bottom 4 team it's a good way to ease Markov in and give him AFL gametime...... I'm sure the coaches will have contingency plans in place though...

Caddy virtually plays as a second third tall now that Lynch is there. What an opportunity to get a few games into the likes of Balta who could go on ball and give Nankevis a rest or Moore. We still have the three amigos supplying the fwd pressure with JR hitting up the ground.

A real opportunity to address our second ruck dilemma or just get some badly needed games into our crop of young talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back