Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

I'd play Balta regardless of whether Caddy is fit or not.

Just for the sake of it? I think we've gone past that. I'd play him only if he's physically ready and the coaches think he has earned his spot or they genuinely think it will really benefit his development.....

I think it's great and that we can give our younger players time to really develop and rise to AFL level (given the huge gap between under 18 and AFL). Compared to what we did in the past where we played guys early only to see them get long term injuries and really pay a price long term in trying to rehab them etc.....Grimes, Astbury come to mind.

IF Caddy fails to get up for early rounds and we are looking for someone to play that medium forward role Vlastuin would be a good option (Markov to hb). Not exactly like for like but Vlassy would hit the scoreboard.
Or we go 2 talls 4 smalls as suggested by others
Vlastuin was tried in this role a couple of years ago. It did not go well.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Just for the sake of it? I think we've gone past that. I'd play him only if he's physically ready and the coaches think he has earned his spot or they genuinely think it will really benefit his development.....

I think it's great and that we can give our younger players time to really develop and rise to AFL level. Compared to what we did in the past where we played guys early only to see them get long term injuries and really pay a price long term in trying to rehab them etc.....Grimes, Astbury come to mind.

No … not for the sake of it.
I am assuming he is physically ready and in part because it will benefit his development.
I also think he's a good fit and will fill a need, including back-up ruck.
I saw this kid play against men in the Essendon district league a few years ago and am certain he will handle the step against bigger bodies.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

I think it's great and that we can give our younger players time to really develop and rise to AFL level (given the huge gap between under 18 and AFL). Compared to what we did in the past where we played guys early only to see them get long term injuries and really pay a price long term in trying to rehab them etc.....Grimes, Astbury come to mind.

Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me if some on here are saying Balta should be get some games early and likely some did not see him play at all at VFL last year. So just going on the hype. I rate Balta and think we have a very good player developing. I only saw VFL games on TV, but the 5-6 games I saw, he was quiet in large parts of games. Like CCJ, and the forgotten man Miller, more VFL games needed imo for all these 3. More likely Weller/Moore if we have some regulars missing R1.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Some of you are getting the Vlastuin midfield experiment mixed up with the Vlastuin foward experiment.

"
With the Tigers minus concussed star key forward Jack Riewoldt, and the Saints surging during the third quarter, Hardwick stationed his reliable small defender deep in attack, hoping he could provide the team with a bit of a spark.

Vlastuin proceeded to kick two vital goals in two minutes to regain the initiative for Richmond.
He kicked another goal in the final term to finish with three for the match – all from the 18-minute mark of the third quarter – and also had nine score involvements all-up, as well as taking an equal team-high nine marks."

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
Some of you are getting the Vlastuin midfield experiment mixed up with the Vlastuin foward experiment.

"
With the Tigers minus concussed star key forward Jack Riewoldt, and the Saints surging during the third quarter, Hardwick stationed his reliable small defender deep in attack, hoping he could provide the team with a bit of a spark.

Vlastuin proceeded to kick two vital goals in two minutes to regain the initiative for Richmond.
He kicked another goal in the final term to finish with three for the match – all from the 18-minute mark of the third quarter – and also had nine score involvements all-up, as well as taking an equal team-high nine marks."

Correct.

He's an absolute beauty! He's probably barely in our 10 best players and that is in no way a criticism - but more of an indication of where our list is at. Brings a smile to my face and serious movements in my pants..

Correct.

He's an absolute beauty! He's probably barely in our 10 best players and that is in no way a criticism - but more of an indication of where our list is at. Brings a smile to my face and serious movements in my pants..

Yes. But Vlas is definitely in our top 10. He's a gun. Out and out gun.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
1. Dustin Martin
2. Alex Rance
3. Jack Riewoldt
4. Trent Cotchin
5. Kane Lambert
6.Tom Lynch
7. Dylan Grimes
8. Nick Vlastuin
9.Shane Edwards
10. Dion Prestia
11. Josh Caddy
12. Daniel Rioli
13 .Toby Nankervis
14. David Astbury
15. Dan Butler
16. Jayden Short
17. Kamdyn McIntosh
18. Jack Graham
19. Brandon Ellis
20. Nathan Broad

Leaving Out Bachar Houli & Shaun Grigg due to age / Injury / and very hard to rank them at this point but both would be anywhere between 10-15

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
No … not for the sake of it.
I am assuming he is physically ready and in part because it will benefit his development.
I also think he's a good fit and will fill a need, including back-up ruck.
I saw this kid play against men in the Essendon district league a few years ago and am certain he will handle the step against bigger bodies.
Seems just for the sake of it is the new catch cry for not trying anything different.

Athletically gifted 194cm 95kg kpp yep absolutely no benefit playing him clearly he is still too undersized.
No benefit to the team either we can just keep playing Grigg in the ruck definately no benefit there.

How does he develop playing in the seniors. such a silly thing to expect that experience will do him no good at all.

There really is no good reason not to play him yet it means change and people are terrified of it.

Seems just for the sake of it is the new catch cry for not trying anything different.

Athletically gifted 194cm 95kg kpp yep absolutely no benefit playing him clearly he is still too undersized.
No benefit to the team either we can just keep playing Grigg in the ruck definately no benefit there.

How does he develop playing in the seniors. such a silly thing to expect that experience will do him no good at all.

There really is no good reason not to play him yet it means change and people are terrified of it.

What’s good for a player may not be nessecery good for the team

Take miles for example did he deserve to play at afl level? Yes

Could we have played him instead of sombody else? Yes

Would that have made the TEAM better?
No

If we were a team that was building I would absolutely play Balta but because of where we sit in terms of our premiership window we don’t have the luxury of carrying players purely for development purposes

"

Was about to post the exact same thing, every time he has gone forward he has kicked goals

Bumped into Caddy on Friday arvo at a beachside watering hole.
Asked about his ankle, said it's only minor and will be right to go again in a couple of weeks.
Didn't seem to think he'd miss much time.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Asked about his ankle, said it's only minor and will be right to go again in a couple of weeks.
Hope you apologized! Did it start a fight?

Tiges so arrogant now we just make up injuries to create news, Caddy has probably been training even harder indoors away from the camera since his "injury"

Best.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Tiges so arrogant now we just make up injuries to create news, Caddy has probably been training even harder indoors away from the camera since his "injury"

Best.

Maybe true.. afl.com.au just an a list injury update on us and Caddy wasnt even mentioned. Right to go it seems. (or the ladies doing the reporting have NFI). Hopefullythe former!!

Rumballs

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, The Mighty Cherries

Possible reasons not to play him include:
Team balance
Inability to follow game plan
Poor repeat running
Poor positioning
Failing to achieve targets set over pre season.

This is not an exhaustive list.

Back