Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Anyone else think he could be the odd man out once everyone is fit? Not good enough as a midfielder, no spot for him in the forward line and the wing spot is currently being occupied by Pickett and McIntosh who on present form I wouldn't drop, although that could easily change.

Long term he could possibly be Jacks replacement with CCJ or Chol replacing Jacks marking ability and Caddy playing like he did in 2018 as a genuine lead up forward capable of kicking bags but as things stand there isn't a clear role for him in the team. Could make an argument that he could play Castagnas role but when George is up and running the team is far more dangerous with his speed and running ability than what it would be with Caddy pushing up the ground and sprinting forward, on the flip side Caddy would be far more dangerous inside the forward 50.

Lastly as clean as Caddy is above head, I don't think I've seen a player get nut megged as often as he does when picking the ball off the ground. Seriously unclean below his knee's for a player his size.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Anyone else think he could be the odd man out once everyone is fit? Not good enough as a midfielder, no spot for him in the forward line and the wing spot is currently being occupied by Pickett and McIntosh who on present form I wouldn't drop, although that could easily change.

Long term he could possibly be Jacks replacement with CCJ or Chol replacing Jacks marking ability and Caddy playing like he did in 2018 as a genuine lead up forward capable of kicking bags but as things stand there isn't a clear role for him in the team. Could make an argument that he could play Castagnas role but when George is up and running the team is far more dangerous with his speed and running ability than what it would be with Caddy pushing up the ground and sprinting forward, on the flip side Caddy would be far more dangerous inside the forward 50.

Lastly as clean as Caddy is above head, I don't think I've seen a player get nut megged as often as he does when picking the ball off the ground. Seriously unclean below his knee's for a player his size.oo
When I saw us play Kmac and Pickett were on the wings and played well. I've also seen Markov play and those 3 are or could be good wings. Markov has got height and pace and if lists don't get cut I'd offer him another year. Caddy isn't a Lock in my 22

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
It might worth keeping caddy and moving him to the forward line. Though at the moment not sure where he fits in
What about a role as an impact player off the bench.

Primarily forward and midfield. Use him in short sharp bursts.

He’s never been a big numbers man anyway but does have the ability to do damage with ball in hand.

Reckon the wing role should be shelved

Dunger

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2008
-37.822165, 144.988143
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree its his best role but last season Dimma said we couldn't squeeze him in the same forward line as dusty lynch and riewoldt. Itd be even harder now with Chol up there a fair bit too.

If Caddy takes the 3rd or 4th defender of most clubs, I reckon he'd towel them up any day of the week. He should be playing there. George isn't kicking enough goals and Rioli is more of a winger or high half forward now.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If Caddy takes the 3rd or 4th defender of most clubs, I reckon he'd towel them up any day of the week. He should be playing there. George isn't kicking enough goals and Rioli is more of a winger or high half forward now.
I think it was more about the fact that we'd lose too much that trademark forward pressure (which has dropped off this year as it is) with a forward line of Caddy, Jack and Lynch. Throw in Chol and Lambert and oppo teams would walk it out 9 times out of 10.

We desperately need Rioli and Castagna to get back to that intense pressure game. Aarts is a hard nut, a decent target and is kicking goals but doesn't have the speed of those two.

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
We need to find a way to play him in the forward line at least for part of the game, he offers something different apart from 3 talls and 3 smalls, he`s an in between size and is smart and skillfull and is a goalkicker.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Have said almost from the get go that the role he plays for us makes him one of the biggest disappointments we have at the club for me.

What is so wrong with asking a big 186cm 87kg mid to play inside. He played that role well as a junior and had two pretty good yrs playing the role at Geelong before getting squeezed out of their midfield.

2015 he was doing exactly what you would expect from a mid like him.
20 Plus disposals over 10 of em contested along with winning over 5 clearances a game and laying nearly 6 tackles a game.We all know this is what we originally went and got him for yet he has never come close to reproducing any thing like that apart from 2016 when at Geelong.

His 2018 as a mid /fwd cannot be scoffed at either 46 goals in a season at 2 a game is excellent but that yr we all know is one out of the box.

Get him to play inside and if he cant perform that role then dont play him.

Hamsatma

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Have said almost from the get go that the role he plays for us makes him one of the biggest disappointments we have at the club for me.

What is so wrong with asking a big 186cm 87kg mid to play inside. He played that role well as a junior and had two pretty good yrs playing the role at Geelong before getting squeezed out of their midfield.

2015 he was doing exactly what you would expect from a mid like him.
20 Plus disposals over 10 of em contested along with winning over 5 clearances a game and laying nearly 6 tackles a game.We all know this is what we originally went and got him for yet he has never come close to reproducing any thing like that apart from 2016 when at Geelong.

His 2018 as a mid /fwd cannot be scoffed at either 46 goals in a season at 2 a game is excellent but that yr we all know is one out of the box.

Get him to play inside and if he cant perform that role then dont play him.
I recall also when he first came to the club he said one of his motivations was to play more mid time

I recall also when he first came to the club he said one of his motivations was to play more mid time
Not true, I asked him about that once - he actually loves playing forward but he doesn't have a preferred position

Back