Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Nick Daffy 10

Senior List
Apr 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Huh?!?! Are you on crack?
He doesnt chase as much anymore, even tends to walk about during play when near a contest. At every ball up he has his hands on his knees or hips sucking in big gulps of air. I think he is slowing up a little.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
He doesnt chase as much anymore, even tends to walk about during play when near a contest. At every ball up he has his hands on his knees or hips sucking in big gulps of air. I think he is slowing up a little.
Yep, definitely on crack
Dusty's defensive efforts are probably the best this year than they have been ever

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Give Caddy a chance to get match fit, he is returning from injury. Four weeks from now he will be a different player.

Hopefully but he needs to lose his automatic selection tag due to the progress of younger players around him. If our team gets to full fitness it could be a decision between him and Bolton/Baker.

Nick Daffy 10

Senior List
Apr 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep, definitely on crack
Dusty's defensive efforts are probably the best this year than they have been ever

I disagree and it doesn't appear that way when you watch him.

Dusty is averaging 2.4 tackles per game so far this season, and for comparison
2019 - 2.4 avg tackles
2018 - 2.2 avg tackles
2017 - 3.5 avg tackles
2016 - 3.6 avg tackles
2015 - 3.5 avg tackles

All of his other stats are down this year too. You could argue that this is due to a compromised season and because he is playing more time in the forward line.

Why do you think they are playing him up forward if not to rest him? He is only averaging 1.1 goals a game.

Anyway, Caddy has hit his peak and on the way down. With a reduced salary cap, he is one that we can afford to lose and still has some currency at the moment.

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
I disagree and it doesn't appear that way when you watch him.

Dusty is averaging 2.4 tackles per game so far this season, and for comparison
2019 - 2.4 avg tackles
2018 - 2.2 avg tackles
2017 - 3.5 avg tackles
2016 - 3.6 avg tackles
2015 - 3.5 avg tackles

All of his other stats are down this year too. You could argue that this is due to a compromised season and because he is playing more time in the forward line.

Why do you think they are playing him up forward if not to rest him? He is only averaging 1.1 goals a game.

Anyway, Caddy has hit his peak and on the way down. With a reduced salary cap, he is one that we can afford to lose and still has some currency at the moment.
With reduced game time his tackling has increased this season on the past 2 seasons, and probably equal with the previous 3.

And he plays forward because he's so dangerous up there.

Plus if you look a bit closer at his stats his first 5 games were a bit quiet and he's increased his out put in the last 5.
He's just starting to warm up.

Last edited:

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Lots of bunkum in this thread.
At Geelong in 2016 Caddy was in competition with Duncan, J Selwood, Dangerfield his first yr, S Selwood his first yr, and Menegola all big inside and out mids as well as Bartel as it turned out in his last yr..
He realised the squeeze was on he was not guaranteed good midfield time. He was also told he would be played more as a fwd.

He came to us and the only real competition he had for an inside role was Martin and Cotchin. Caddy along with the arrival of Prestia was supposed to boost our big inside stocks. He was promised to be played as a mid.

Why the hell would he leave Geelong a bloke getting over 20 disposals a game lots of clearances and his share of contested ball playing where everyone wants to play in the midfield, to play as a fwd !!!!it is laughable.Why do people make this crap up.

Lots of bunkum in this thread.
At Geelong in 2016 Caddy was in competition with Duncan, J Selwood, Dangerfield his first yr, S Selwood his first yr, and Menegola all big inside and out mids as well as Bartel as it turned out in his last yr..
He realised the squeeze was on he was not guaranteed good midfield time. He was also told he would be played more as a fwd.

He came to us and the only real competition he had for an inside role was Martin and Cotchin. Caddy along with the arrival of Prestia was supposed to boost our big inside stocks. He was promised to be played as a mid.

Why the hell would he leave Geelong a bloke getting over 20 disposals a game lots of clearances and his share of contested ball playing where everyone wants to play in the midfield, to play as a fwd !!!!it is laughable.Why do people make this crap up.
He told me himself he prefers playing forward and the midfield line that was running in the media wasn't true and likely told by Geelong to justify him walking as they were bitter he left.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
I’m really interested to see what happens with Caddy, I firmly believe he’s in our best twenty-two.

However I’m really not sure where he’s best suited. Pickett and Mcintosh have been doing a good job on wings and are both better runners than Caddy.

I don’t think we’ll see him in the forwardline alongside three tall’s when Chol’s playing.

He’s also never really played as an inside midfielder during his time at the club. I think we may see him play a range of different roles but I hope to see him back in the team soon!

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Get the feeling dimma is Caddy fan

Wondering how he fits into the team (Aarts?) Unless there is an injury concern
Dimma likes the 3 small fwds too. They have been a constant all year. I agree about Caddy love: He's a great player but tall fwds have been in and out. I think Aarts gets the nod over Caddy if Lynch plays. If Lynch dosen't play it'll be Caddy or Chol again.

Yeah Caddy and Jack will be the forwards if Lynch doesn’t come up.
Can’t see Chol getting a game.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Dimma likes the 3 small fwds too. They have been a constant all year. I agree about Caddy love: He's a great player but tall fwds have been in and out. I think Aarts gets the nod over Caddy if Lynch plays. If Lynch dosen't play it'll be Caddy or Chol again.
Aarts flying over the pack in the oppo goal square to spoil; George running up and down over the ground too getting dispoals in the back half, and Rioli coming into form is important to our structure.

Sep 26, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah Caddy and Jack will be the forwards if Lynch doesn’t come up.
Can’t see Chol getting a game.

Its difficult isn't it. A bigger body would be SO good right now but what message does it send to the boys on the cusp of the side to give a spot to someone whose intensity has looked so so poor

Its difficult isn't it. A bigger body would be SO good right now but what message does it send to the boys on the cusp of the side to give a spot to someone whose intensity has looked so so poor
He’s got an X factor Chol but really he doesn’t offer more than Caddy.
Caddy is a born forward it’s in his blood and he is one of the more intelligent forward half players going around when fit, Lynch coming has been a big challenge for him.
You take him over Chol as a forward every time.
As you say intensity is a big thing for Chol too and it doesn’t stack up with caddy, when he first came to Richmond and we were just going through that tough phase early 2017 he set the benchmark for physical intensity when we didn’t have the footy and it caught on with all the forwards.
Having said all this if Lynch is fit I’m not sure what will happen with Caddy he’s in that funny spot at the moment on this list.
From the minute he was drafted he was going to be one of those players not quick enough to play midfield and not tall enough to play key position but a very good footballer.
Just so happens he plays for an outstanding team with specific roles filled where a player like him is a bits and pieces player now.
Pretty handy bloody bits and pieces player though!

Sep 26, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
He’s got an X factor Chol but really he doesn’t offer more than Caddy.
Caddy is a born forward it’s in his blood and he is one of the more intelligent forward half players going around when fit, Lynch coming has been a big challenge for him.
You take him over Chol as a forward every time.
As you say intensity is a big thing for Chol too and it doesn’t stack up with caddy, when he first came to Richmond and we were just going through that tough phase early 2017 he set the benchmark for physical intensity when we didn’t have the footy and it caught on with all the forwards.
Having said all this if Lynch is fit I’m not sure what will happen with Caddy he’s in that funny spot at the moment on this list.
From the minute he was drafted he was going to be one of those players not quick enough to play midfield and not tall enough to play key position but a very good footballer.
Just so happens he plays for an outstanding team with specific roles filled where a player like him is a bits and pieces player now.
Pretty handy bloody bits and pieces player though!

Yep. I still think there's room for Caddy even with a fit Lynch and Riewoldt, because of his smarts, (which you refer to). He's always good for a goal or two, its uncanny (uncaddy?)

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Chols role will be 2nd ruck. Balta and Lynch combo could play it but.... playing Chol won't cost us the game but not playing him might. I just don't feel we are blessed injury wise in 2020.
I'm starting to think we need him vs Brizzy.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

I think Caddy plays because Astbury is in the team. What that means is there is more opportunity for Balta to pinch hit in the ruck apart from Astbury going forward. I would bring in Caddy rather than Chol and I would think about Markov to.

If Chol comes in we could be too top heavy for our output

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
I think Caddy plays because Astbury is in the team. What that means is there is more opportunity for Balta to pinch hit in the ruck apart from Astbury going forward. I would bring in Caddy rather than Chol and I would think about Markov to.

If Chol comes in we could be too top heavy for our output
I don't agree with you often Magic but I'm with you on this one. Caddy forward. Balta to give Nank a break in the ruck (might even be a weapon in there for five mins a quarter) because Astbury can stay deep in defence. If they want Grimes to stay on Cameron then Vlaus shuffles across onto Balta's man. Without Broad there's no other choice I think this is the way they will go. Nank thrives on being the No1 guy. I just dont see how we can have Chol as a passenger.

Back