Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

I'm not sure that he's playing as though he'd old and tired. He's consistently been one of our better VFL players.

He's also been pretty dangerous forward.

You mean in VFL? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it in AFL

He is looking pretty old and tired - I think that would be mainly where it's coming from. Would a 30 year old ruck be happy enough to be a stand-by knowing he's playing majority VFL? If so, I think the club and fan base alike would love to have him back.

He's been an absolute champion about it this year sacrificing his game for Draper's game - and still fitting in some serviceable football. If he sees himself as a ruck-coach long term he has nothing to lose staying on the role (body permitting).

Edit: And if he's really flexible maybe even Rookie list

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Retirement announced.

Came over to us on a bargain bin contract. Did well in 2016 with what we had, and in 2017/18 was huge in the development of Draper and improvement of Bellchambers. People won't think of his name when it comes to key FA signings, but this has been a really important one for us, and his class will be missed around the club.

greysong

Senior List
Apr 1, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Sad to hear of this retirement. Thought we really could have used him for one more season as insurance for Bellchambers.

Shows the character of the person that he was offered a contract and turned it down as he wouldn't have been able to fully commit to another year as he'd like. I'm sure he's forgone $100-150k+.

Shows the character of the person that he was offered a contract and turned it down as he wouldn't have been able to fully commit to another year as he'd like. I'm sure he's forgone $100-150k+.
Probably the most pertinent point in this. What a great bloke!

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
good luck Leunberger, i think the right decision has been made though but we now have to draft another ruck whether that be late pick in national or first up rookie.... unless there is a DFA about or Z Clarke?

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Came here to say the same thing. Could of been easy money just showing up and going through the motions and playing vfl every week. A real show of character.. what a legend

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
good luck Leunberger, i think the right decision has been made though but we now have to draft another ruck whether that be late pick in national or first up rookie.... unless there is a DFA about or Z Clarke?

Other names are:

Dane Hollenkamp.
Jordan Sweet.
Thomas Hallebone.
Darcy Fort.
Mark Baker.
Tim Sullivan.
Jeremy Goddard.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club