Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Really really happy with the big mans first half.

Solid competitor who knows what he's doing.

Just don't get injured big fella ...ever...we need you.

Was almost a liability apart from that though. I don't know why you'd ever try and give him the ball.
Not his fault they kept on handballing to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm not blaming him - have to take the good with the bad because at least we know he'll rarely be beaten at the stoppages.
Pretty much. Injuries have ruined him unfortunately, was looking like a brilliant around the ground ruckman around 10/11.

I was surprised when I looked at the stats to find that Jacobs had shaded Leuenberger in every department, except for the hit outs. There were times, when it looked to me, that Leuenberger was working Jacobs over.

Last year he surprised me with his strength around the contest. He is a big guy but not someone I had associated with the aggressive clearance works he demonstrated last year.

What I really liked about his game against Adelaide was the way he worked up the wings to provide targets from half back (winning himself easy ball). Leuenberger's speed and endurance are underrated and I don't think that he has ever been fit enough for long enough in a decent set up that would enable him to be seen as more of an accumulator.

He's not a guy who will intimidate, nor is he someone who will boss pack marks all day long, but if he can be a presence at the stoppages and consistently find a rhythm like the one again Adelaide he will be a very valuable player for the next three or four years (and good enough for use to either wait for Draper to develop or to try draft or poach a young gun and wait for him to develop).

I was surprised when I looked at the stats to find that Jacobs had shaded Leuenberger in every department, except for the hit outs. There were times, when it looked to me, that Leuenberger was working Jacobs over.

Last year he surprised me with his strength around the contest. He is a big guy but not someone I had associated with the aggressive clearance works he demonstrated last year.

What I really liked about his game against Adelaide was the way he worked up the wings to provide targets from half back (winning himself easy ball). Leuenberger's speed and endurance are underrated and I don't think that he has ever been fit enough for long enough in a decent set up that would enable him to be seen as more of an accumulator.

He's not a guy who will intimidate, nor is he someone who will boss pack marks all day long, but if he can be a presence at the stoppages and consistently find a rhythm like the one again Adelaide he will be a very valuable player for the next three or four years (and good enough for use to either wait for Draper to develop or to try draft or poach a young gun and wait for him to develop).
I think the kick it long to Jacobs strategy we had going wouldn't have helped luey's head to head figures.

Does anyone else find Leuenberger incredibly frustrating to watch? I swear when he took that mark in the back half vs Adelaide and then went to play on immediately and barely made contact with his boot only for it to dribble straight to Jacobs who passed it to another crow to goal I was absolutely losing my mind. It definitely felt like it got Adelaide up and going early.

I know its harsh to single out a particular incident but I just find that other than winning hitouts - he's very ordinary in most other facets of the game like marking and using the ball. I also wish he was better at directing his hitouts - I cannot recall ever seeing those truly great taps where it goes straight to our mids and they just burst through with the ball. Now that might not be his fault as it could be our mids but I don't think he's the greatest with that element of ruckwork either.

This opinion might not be popular because I know a lot of Essendon supporters consider him to be a top 10 ruck in the comp and only a step down from the elite ones but I just can't agree.

Does anyone else find Leuenberger incredibly frustrating to watch? I swear when he took that mark in the back half vs Adelaide and then went to play on immediately and barely made contact with his boot only for it to dribble straight to Jacobs who passed it to another crow to goal I was absolutely losing my mind. It definitely felt like it got Adelaide up and going early.

I know its harsh to single out a particular incident but I just find that other than winning hitouts - he's very ordinary in most other facets of the game like marking and using the ball. I also wish he was better at directing his hitouts - I cannot recall ever seeing those truly great taps where it goes straight to our mids and they just burst through with the ball. Now that might not be his fault as it could be our mids but I don't think he's the greatest with that element of ruckwork either.

This opinion might not be popular because I know a lot of Essendon supporters consider him to be a top 10 ruck in the comp and only a step down from the elite ones but I just can't agree.
Is it 3 times in 2 weeks he's scrubbed a kick like that?

Eh, I thought he was rubbish against Adelaide. He would have to have one of the lowest hits-to-advantage of all the rucks in the league, and in general play he mostly just stands around and gets in the way slowing things down.

I don't think he makes us a better side.

Eh, I thought he was rubbish against Adelaide. He would have to have one of the lowest hits-to-advantage of all the rucks in the league, and in general play he mostly just stands around and gets in the way slowing things down.

You'd rather us play McKernan who would get demolished in the ruck contests?

He certainly needs to work on hitting to advantage.

He gets his hands to it no problem and usually they are clean taps but he just taps into the general direction and more often than not over the back.

When our midfield combo was Jobe, Goddard and one other rotating through we really struggled. Goddards work was exceptional so he could have been roving to Alwyn Davey and still would have won it, but Jobe is not as quick on his feet and was regularly getting second to the ball. It wasn't until Merrett, Walla and Fanta were going into the midfield that we started winning the ball more.

These issues can be ironed out at training though and with more time together in the midfield together they can build that chemistry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back