Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

Killer_Mike

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2017
Ghetto Extraordinary
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
You'd rather us play McKernan who would get demolished in the ruck contests?
I think McKernan should have been given one more game at least after Brisbane.

He was very good against Hawthorn and then come up against a quality player in Martin.

We should never play two rucks though.

When our midfield combo was Jobe, Goddard and one other rotating through we really struggled. Goddards work was exceptional so he could have been roving to Alwyn Davey and still would have won it, but Jobe is not as quick on his feet and was regularly getting second to the ball. It wasn't until Merrett, Walla and Fanta were going into the midfield that we started winning the ball more.
I think this is the clear thing here. It will take time for the guys returning from suspension to get used to playing with Luey.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
I think McKernan should have been given one more game at least after Brisbane.

He was very good against Hawthorn and then come up against a quality player in Martin.

We should never play two rucks though.
I want two. Especially with the high likelihood luey gets injured. I don't think the coaches have any faith in mckernan as a ruck. He can give quite good follow up at ground level when he's in form.

Jobe is King

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
While I'm at it, let's all marvel at Luey's speed and agility..

55Sp6Yx.gif

s5HhE5c.gif
Hey, leave the big fella alone.. he's coming back from injury. Don't forgot what he's capable of in space.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, but only to stop your minds exploding from amazement. In both clips he took about three more steps and then kicked a goal. They were such good kicks that the ball travelled around the earth and then went through the goals again for double the score.

Except one missed after the second orbit and was called deliberate oob. Or - "out of bounce" as some Carlton fans call it.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I've never been a fan as he offers nothing around the ground and is poor overhead.

That being said he's good at limiting his opponents impact on the game and considering he came for free its hard to argue he has been anything other than an astute pick up.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm far from his biggest fan but he did a great job limiting Grundy's around the ground work today. I thought Grundy would dominate in that area but Leuenberger did a good job. Was surprised to see he lost the hitouts but in all honesty I didn't think the hitouts had any impact from either side today.

Call me mental, but one aspect of his game I really liked today was the willingness to gather the ball below the knees. While plenty of others were just kicking it off the ground or knocking it on, often to comically bad effect, Leuy actually bent down to get the bloody thing.

Capt Hindsight

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
For average hitouts per game he is currently 4th in the league, behind Sandilands, Stefan Martin and Mumford.
Not bad at all. Just needs to do more around the ground now.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Call me mental, but one aspect of his game I really liked today was the willingness to gather the ball below the knees. While plenty of others were just kicking it off the ground or knocking it on, often to comically bad effect, Leuy actually bent down to get the bloody thing.

Im just happy that most of the time today he decided on the handball disposal, his field kicking gets me nervous at times

I feel like he played better last year. Not sure if carrying an injury or getting acquainted with another new midfield or more complicated game plan or what. Last year he averaged 150 metres gained over the season, this year he had two games off, then 162 against Carlton, 83 against Adelaide, and today... 0.

Obviously the hit-outs are the major stat for him, but what he does outside of that seems to be less effective than we know he's capable of.

Quite liked his game on the weekend. His handballs are getting better and he does some handy work linking up. He generally breaks even in the ruck but most importantly, he gives the team around him predictability. He's my #1 ruckman on our list.

Last edited:
Back