Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey - bid received at pick 10, matched by the Swans

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
The RS is a weekly nomination of recognition of a good game. It was a good quarter of football as mentioned above. And DA is incorrect re nomination over a couple of games (any rookie who puts in a good game can win it...even a first gamer!).

You are correct, he has shown bits n pieces but that’s all they are, bits n pieces. Where’s the game consistency like Mills and Hannebery and Goodes and Walsh and McGrath, Stephenson et al? Worthy of RS nomination? No. Only rookie that looked like he did ‘something’ (bits n pieces) this week? That’s all it could be!

This is from wiki (I know):

Every round, a nomination is given to a standout young player who performed well during that particular round.

Even Blakey admitted he was quiet and one quarter (as proven) does not make a good game...it makes a very ordinary one look ok and the stars in your eyes glisten apparently.
Agree Mick. The aptly initialled RS is an award for fans and player managers.

The Nom gave me no jollies. Nonetheless I am delighted he has shown as much as he has in his first year, when he is shaped as a French Bean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VijoMorganstein

Debutant
Aug 1, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
If we're all honest the weekly RS nom almost never goes the player with the best eligible performance of the round and that there's a fair bit of hype involved in who gets it, but happy for Blakey regardless. Surely only a matter of time until Dawson gets one too

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
If we're all honest the weekly RS nom almost never goes the player with the best eligible performance of the round and that there's a fair bit of hype involved in who gets it, but happy for Blakey regardless. Surely only a matter of time until Dawson gets one too
Doubt Dawson is eligible. Horse waited until Jordan was a grandfather before giving him regular games.

jsher098

Debutant
Apr 17, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have a listen to our podcast- 32 minute mark onwards- we have a 5 min discussion as to who has been the best forward so far this season out of first year players. Champion Data's top three forwards are Connor Rozee, Tarryn Thomas and Nick Blakey. I fabsolutely love Big Blakey and I put in a case for him!

GotTheGoodes

Bloods
Mar 15, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Have a listen to our podcast- 32 minute mark onwards- we have a 5 min discussion as to who has been the best forward so far this season out of first year players. Champion Data's top three forwards are Connor Rozee, Tarryn Thomas and Nick Blakey. I fabsolutely love Big Blakey and I put in a case for him!

Fabsolutely is a new word... it reminds me of Radelaide...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superstar swan

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Bit of a learning curve for liz tonight..either develop a right foot or learn from his mistake and turn that experience into composure

elastic

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Got crunched early today after his great mark which slowed him down a little. We may have seen his only weakness today which is no right foot. Still felt he could have banana'd it through. Sky is the limit for Nick and hopefully still living at home should keep him grounded and away from the nightclubs. Once he fills out he is going to be a nightmare matchup for the opposition.

S120

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He'll learn from today, had opportunities and made some bad decisions. Had to pull himself up after a big hit and he'll be better for it. Tough being the main man in the forward line often today when you're this young and skinny.

He's gonna be very, very good though.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Bit of a learning curve for liz tonight..either develop a right foot or learn from his mistake and turn that experience into composure
Or trade him. Wasn't very good yesterday in the team loss.

The bathwater's outta here and I want the baby gone too by October!

Top Bottom