Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve said this a hundred times but...

If we said “footy” in Sydney we’d almost certainly get into a ten minute conversation about what footy code we were actually talking about, and then an argument about why we’re right/wrong to call it that. It’s just quicker and easier to say “AFL”!
Outside of NSW cities, Canberra and SE QLD most everyone else in Oz would know that footy means footy. Overseas people know Australian Rules (or know of it) but wouldn't have a clue what an AFL is.

So when people say they play AFL it's pretty easy to pin them down a part of Oz where footy wasn't traditionally played. It just sound weird to anyone growing up with, well...footy.

Back on topic, any chance we could get a Nick Blakey banner ready for Saturday ? Any Cheer Squadies ? (collective noun for a member of a cheer squad)

Condescending much. I'm not new to the game, played in the late 70s and 80s in surburan Sydney. And AFL is what they call it at school level in Sydney these days so their branding has worked. It's almost like some people don't wish to grow the game and keep it to those down south who grew up with aussie rules. Glad you found my story nice.
I agree Kap, but I also agree with Bung. Why? Well, is it tomato or tomato, mall or mall, castle or castle? AFL/Aussie rules...who gives a *!

These people do exist! As you are walking past the posh seats,on your way to general admission,or whatever you can afford. You will see people in Armani suits etc,with the wife/ girlfriend/ mistress.
There is usally a token Swans scarf, or something red and white. You can just tell that these people dont really give a toss about the game,they are there to be seen and drink piss!!
I used to come to Friday night games in a suit. Sometimes I didn't wear as much as a Swans scarf but I'd still shout myself hoarse to get the boys over the line. I like that Swans supporters in Sydney are more relaxed, perhaps less feral. Maybe that's something that appealed to Nick Blakey too.

Go you Swans

I used to come to Friday night games in a suit. Sometimes I didn't wear as much as a Swans scarf but I'd still shout myself hoarse to get the boys over the line. I like that Swans supporters in Sydney are more relaxed, perhaps less feral. Maybe that's something that appealed to Nick Blakey too.

Go you Swans

Agreed. Less feral does not mean less passionate.

On our current list the following players have come through on the academy:
-Heeney
-Foote
-Robinson
-Naismith
-Bell
-Brown
-Mills

I don't remember any outcry from anyone when we drafted Foote

Don't forget academy guns Brandon Jack, Abe Davis and Jack Hiscox.

Could add Lloyd Perris too who never played but that seems like bad luck and s**t injuries more than no talent. He was clearly good if I recall.

I cringe when I hear people say "AFL" instead of "footy" or "Aussie Rules". It's akin to people saying NRL instead of league or BBL instead of T20 Cricket. Annoys the hell out of me.

The game is Australian Rules Football. The AFL are merely a league that is (at this point in time) the most popular & largest league in that code.

Whilst all the angst about AR dropping from the lexicon might be noble, it's a battle already lost.

It's like demanding Poms stop calling their game Football or Soccer and demand they correctly refer to it as Association Football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of NSW cities, Canberra and SE QLD most everyone else in Oz would know that footy means footy. Overseas people know Australian Rules (or know of it) but wouldn't have a clue what an AFL is.

So when people say they play AFL it's pretty easy to pin them down a part of Oz where footy wasn't traditionally played. It just sound weird to anyone growing up with, well...footy.

Back on topic, any chance we could get a Nick Blakey banner ready for Saturday ? Any Cheer Squadies ? (collective noun for a member of a cheer squad)

Social constructs are suitable for the society from which they derive. In the case of QLD and NSW 'footy' is rugby league whilst in the other states it is AFL or Assue rules. World wide because of the dominance of the sport, soccer is universally known as 'football' or 'footy'. The vast majority would be unlikely to even know Aussie rules exists TBH and use of the term for Aussie rules would in all honestly make them laugh at absurdity. There is no right or wrong of course because social constructs arise to facilitate communication and understanding within a particular society and achieve that goal.

Being a 30 year soccer player I've always viewed the term 'footy' as the world wide conception and therefore use of the term locally was an abomination..... an affront to the 'world game'.

Being a NSW resident I use the term AFL as do all the kids coming through local sport and our own academy.

Other than the hype and word of mouth does anyone here actually have any legitimate intel on the way he has been playing and if he has been playing at all of late? After getting excited and doing some research, info from a few people and watching tapes I was left horrified at how shockingly average he looks, takes the odd contested mark but would hardly give Schache a run. And with the way the game is going is it even worth putting all our chips in for an immobile tall forward? Proven time again how easy it is for a tall forward leading out of the square in the 18s until they step into the big time. Please someone make me feel better. And looking at his posture I can see exactly why he’s ended up with a stress fracture

Kicked 5 and 7 in his last two games Zeusy lad. Is quick enough and can jump. Given his dad's history, he is likely to be highly durable and will run all day.

Sounds like he will be a significant upgrade on Reid who I think is terrific.

Other than the hype and word of mouth does anyone here actually have any legitimate intel on the way he has been playing and if he has been playing at all of late? After getting excited and doing some research, info from a few people and watching tapes I was left horrified at how shockingly average he looks, takes the odd contested mark but would hardly give Schache a run. And with the way the game is going is it even worth putting all our chips in for an immobile tall forward? Proven time again how easy it is for a tall forward leading out of the square in the 18s until they step into the big time. Please someone make me feel better. And looking at his posture I can see exactly why he’s ended up with a stress fracture

A poster on another forum has said a few things:

- he played in our final intraclub reserves game (and recovering injured players such as Hannebery) and in his eyes he was close to best on field.

- he said he is the most physically and mentally prepared junior he has seen

Take from that what you will.

I actually thought his highlights from the Aus v NZ game were pretty good.

What have you exactly been watching n doing research about, surely it would of popped up with his two bags he has kicked and BOG in the two games he has played in the U18s Academy series.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What have you exactly been watching n doing research about, surely it would of popped up with his two bags he has kicked and BOG in the two games he has played in the U18s Academy series.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Look I'm praying he ends up being a gun obviously and im not trying to burst anyones bubble, just making observations. After watching a few vids of him you can get a general sense of his style and stature, he's ok doesn't look like anything amazing and not even close compared to most highlight packages of high draft pick kids, even lings looked more promising. He's not particularly quick and doesn't have a strong centre of gravity, goes to ground very easily. His BOG performances come as a lead up forward with occasional good contested marks which is easy in under 18's due to the way it's played, in the AFL that role literally does not exist anymore and blokes like schache and boyd have struggled with the transition as a result. Unless you're buddy or a nick riewoldt kpf's don't work he's not going to kick 'bags' no one does anymore. The kid is seriously malnourished aswell, his biceps are literally concaved inwards, would have to bulk on atleast 15-20kgs which will slow him down a fair bit. Going off our previous drafts, the players that have been a success tend to be the strong, well balanced and ready made bullish looking players like parker, heeney and jones. It's only been the last couple of years where we've gone for skinny kids and it's still unclear how they're going to turn out. With the stronger types their impact is evident from day 1 and it's the type of player the game demands these days. I just think with the way the game is being played and if this draft is being touted the way it is, I have a feeling there will be a few we pass on cause of blakey that we will end up regretting.

I take a fair interest in all the draft prospect talk throughout the year and a lot of players get seriously hyped up by the likes of kevin Sheehan and terry Wallace, especially the kids who have a dad or uncle that played, and a mum who did shot-put or long jump in the Olympics or played netball. Connections get them in. But if you go back and look at the top 20 drafts from the last 10 years, a fair few hyped kids have either become average ok footballers or gotten nowhere and it's the last we've heard of them. Particularly key positions kids. Other than the top 2 or 3 the rest is just hype, even the 1 and 2's from recent drafts have been disappointing. And there's always that ready made footballer that goes pick 45 who everyone regrets not getting. There's a lot of favouritism when it comes to the draft and a lot of talented kids miss out as a result. There are genuine gun kids out there who if were able to get the same opportunity and grooming that blakey gets, would become 10x the better player

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back