Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, 37 should not be worn again by any Sydney Swans player. There are enough numbers between 0 and 99 that certain numbers should be retired and left as one-player jumpers. Goodes is the best player in the Swans' history, no one else should wear the 37. (just my thoughts...)
Wouldn’t mind it being worn by a future indigenous prospect

It needs to be rested and handed on when a truly fitting player/situation comes along. Nothing permanently retired, however no rush on finding a new home.

I'm not sure what it would take to retire a number, maybe a current player passing away (touch wood x10000) etc.

Nope, 37 should not be worn again by any Sydney Swans player. There are enough numbers between 0 and 99 that certain numbers should be retired and left as one-player jumpers. Goodes is the best player in the Swans' history, no one else should wear the 37. (just my thoughts...)

That honour stills falls to Skilton IMO

No problem coming 2nd to him and ahead of Diesel and Plugger mind you, but Skilts is still #1 Swan of all time.

That honour stills falls to Skilton IMO

No problem coming 2nd to him and ahead of Diesel and Plugger mind you, but Skilts is still #1 Swan of all time.

Many of us haven't had the joy of watching Skilts, but have grown up watching Adam Goodes most of our lives.

Personally I just say "Adam Goodes is the best Swans player I have ever seen" this way I am not comparing him to the likes of Skilton, Pratt, Nash or Bedford.

Many of us haven't had the joy of watching Skilts, but have grown up watching Adam Goodes most of our lives.

Personally I just say "Adam Goodes is the best Swans player I have ever seen" this way I am not comparing him to the likes of Skilton, Pratt, Nash or Bedford.

I moved here in 1985 so never got to see Skilton play either, but I've watched enough old video's and read enough to know where he stands in our Club's history

I moved here in 1985 so never got to see Skilton play either, but I've watched enough old video's and read enough to know where he stands in our Club's history

Guessing most of the video's of Skilton would be highlights? Because I would wager any highlights video of Goodes would match if not better any player in Swans history. Without having seen these players week by week it is very difficult to say that one was certainly better than the other (In particular when it spans several generations).

Anyways back on topic, I would fully support giving number 37 to Nick Blakey, I don't believe in retiring numbers and would much rather that that a number develops a strong history (Similar to number 14 with the Swans
).

Alternatively how sick would it be if Blakey got say 74 and then just became this superstar and kids started running around wearing a 74 on the back of their jumper? What is this incessant need to have all players numbers be below 50? Incredibly numberist as far as I'm concerned.

Alternatively how sick would it be if Blakey got say 74 and then just became this superstar and kids started running around wearing a 74 on the back of their jumper? What is this incessant need to have all players numbers be below 50? Incredibly numberist as far as I'm concerned.

I want to see players running around with

Pi
e
i

Discrimination against irrational and complex numbers.

Is there a rule that says someone can't have the number 3.14?

No. The rules state that players must be assigned a number on the team sheet before a game and that that number should correspond to the number on the back of their guernsey. As far as I can see there is nothing in the rules limiting that number to only whole numbers.

No. The rules state that players must be assigned a number on the team sheet before a game and that that number should correspond to the number on the back of their guernsey. As far as I can see there is nothing in the rules limiting that number to only whole numbers.

Now I really want the Swans to go into the field one day where every player has a decimal point in their number. I am curious to know how long it would take the AFL to refine that rule while thinking "really, we needed to make a rule for this" :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a rule that says someone can't have the number 3.14?
Why stop at pi to 2 decimal places ? Cover the entire jumper.

To avoid recurring fractions it might be good to use mixed fractions rather than decimals, eg, 33 1/3 (suitable for a long playing career). We could use imaginary numbers for over-hyped debutants (eg, i37 for a Goodes wannabe) and negative numbers for spuds. Perhaps Swans could elect to use only Prime numbers or really large numbers in scientific notation. Why stop at Pi ? We could use other constants too. Grundy could just have a huge G on his jumper to indicate the universal gravitational constant 6.67 x 10-11 (sorry no superscript)

I also think Aliir would look good in Zero, an especially cool number to have or the coolest of all -273 (degC), (absolute zero, 0 degK, everything in the universe frozen)

Finally, think how all this may help to develop more interest in Maths and Physics among young footy fans. Imagine the scene on the tram on the way home from a game.

----------------------

"Dad, how come Blakey is now wearing the number 22/7 ? And wouldn't it be better as a decimal ?"

"Well son, it's a close approximation to Pi and is part of the new Swans jumper number policy to get fans into maths, and it would be impossible to fit on his jumper if it were written in decimal"

"Huh, why's that ?"

"Because it's a recurring fraction. It would stretch to infinity"

"How big is infinity Dad ?"

"Infinity is the number of touches Mitchell would have needed in the NEAFL to get a senior game from Horse, according to some BF posters"

"But Dad, that's completely irrational"

"Try telling some BF fans. No son, 22/7 is perfectly rational as it recurrs. Irrational numbers neither terminate nor recurr"

"Like pi ?"

"Of course. Everyone likes pies, especially at the footy. What's not to like about a chopped rat in boiling hot gravy and covered in sauce ? A cold beer in one hand as you juggle the overheated pie half still in its bag in the other, eyes fixated on the game in front of you don't notice the vulnerable young girl sitting below you with her dad. You raise the pie carefully to your face, peel back your lips like a horse grasping for a carrot and take a tentative first bite, scalding your mouth and causing the pie to fall into your beer even as a burning lava of gravy escapes and drops squarely into your crotch. You stand up screaming and slosh pie flavoured beer down the back of the girl in front but just then Buddy marks inside 50 and the whole crowd roars as one, drowning her cries. Her screams go ignored as her dad fixates on Buddy lining up for his shot. You grab this chance to sneak away and find a spare seat in GA."

"No, I meant like Pi"

"Oh sorry, yes, Pi's a great example of an irrational number"

"Gee Dad. I love Maths almost as much as I love footy"

------------------------

Sorry, am I off topic on this ? I tried to mention Blakey.

OK. I'll see myself out.

To avoid recurring fractions it might be good to use mixed fractions rather than decimals, eg, 33 1/3 (suitable for a long playing career). We could use imaginary numbers for over-hyped debutants (eg, i37 for a Goodes wannabe) and negative numbers for spuds. Perhaps Swans could elect to use only Prime numbers or really large numbers in scientific notation. Why stop at Pi ? We could use other constants too. Grundy could just have a huge G on his jumper to indicate the universal gravitational constant 6.67 x 10-11 (sorry no superscript)

I also think Aliir would look good in Zero, an especially cool number to have or the coolest of all -273 (degC), (absolute zero, 0 degK, everything in the universe frozen)

Finally, think how all this may help to develop more interest in Maths and Physics among young footy fans. Imagine the scene on the tram on the way home from a game.

----------------------

"Dad, how come Blakey is now wearing the number 22/7 ? And wouldn't it be better as a decimal ?"

"Well son, it's a close approximation to Pi and is part of the new Swans jumper number policy to get fans into maths, and it would be impossible to fit on his jumper if it were written in decimal"

"Huh, why's that ?"

"Infinity is the number of touches Mitchell would have needed in the NEAFL to get a senior game from Horse, according to some BF posters"

"Try telling some BF fans. No son, 22/7 is perfectly rational as it recurrs. Irrational numbers neither terminate nor recurr"

"Like pi ?"

"Of course. Everyone likes pies, especially at the footy. What's not to like about a chopped rat in boiling hot gravy and covered in sauce ? A cold beer in one hand as you juggle the overheated pie half still in its bag in the other, eyes fixated on the game in front of you don't notice the vulnerable young girl sitting below you with her dad. You raise the pie carefully to your face, peel back your lips like a horse grasping for a carrot and take a tentative first bite, scalding your mouth and causing the pie to fall into your beer even as a burning lava of gravy escapes and drops squarely into your crotch. You stand up screaming and slosh pie flavoured beer down the back of the girl in front but just then Buddy marks inside 50 and the whole crowd roars as one, drowning her cries. Her screams go ignored as her dad fixates on Buddy lining up for his shot. You grab this chance to sneak away and find a spare seat in GA."

"No, I meant like Pi"

------------------------

OK. I'll see myself out.
Great post.

----------------------

"Huh, why's that ?"

"Like pi ?"

"No, I meant like Pi"

------------------------

OK. I'll see myself out.

I deducted a point because of no Golden Ratio.

----------------------

"Huh, why's that ?"

"Like pi ?"

"No, I meant like Pi"

------------------------

OK. I'll see myself out.
NOTE TO EVERYONE

If you are ever going to go off topic please do it like this.

Bloody hilarious bungee :thumbsu: (but totally off topic... stop it... naughty... :p )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back