Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're all honest the weekly RS nom almost never goes the player with the best eligible performance of the round and that there's a fair bit of hype involved in who gets it, but happy for Blakey regardless. Surely only a matter of time until Dawson gets one too

Doubt Dawson is eligible. Horse waited until Jordan was a grandfather before giving him regular games.

Have a listen to our podcast- 32 minute mark onwards- we have a 5 min discussion as to who has been the best forward so far this season out of first year players. Champion Data's top three forwards are Connor Rozee, Tarryn Thomas and Nick Blakey. I fabsolutely love Big Blakey and I put in a case for him!

Have a listen to our podcast- 32 minute mark onwards- we have a 5 min discussion as to who has been the best forward so far this season out of first year players. Champion Data's top three forwards are Connor Rozee, Tarryn Thomas and Nick Blakey. I fabsolutely love Big Blakey and I put in a case for him!

Fabsolutely is a new word... it reminds me of Radelaide...

Bit of a learning curve for liz tonight..either develop a right foot or learn from his mistake and turn that experience into composure

Or

Develop a right foot.

He's not Buddy.

Got crunched early today after his great mark which slowed him down a little. We may have seen his only weakness today which is no right foot. Still felt he could have banana'd it through. Sky is the limit for Nick and hopefully still living at home should keep him grounded and away from the nightclubs. Once he fills out he is going to be a nightmare matchup for the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a learning curve for liz tonight..either develop a right foot or learn from his mistake and turn that experience into composure

Or trade him. Wasn't very good yesterday in the team loss.

The bathwater's outta here and I want the baby gone too by October!

Or trade him. Wasn't very good yesterday in the team loss.

The bathwater's outta here and I want the baby gone too by October!

Bit harsh. Thought he was serviceable.

loves a bounce, might get it right soon
Given the state of the ground (and perhaps the wrong stops in his boots) I forgive him.
Nick is trying to break open the game running into forward line

Given the state of the ground (and perhaps the wrong stops in his boots) I forgive him.
Nick is trying to break open the game running into forward line

I hope he keeps doing it, he is bloody exciting

Horse hasn’t been afraid to pull the trigger with our draftees this year in terms of throwing them into their ideal positions.

I like it. Heeney & Mills probably don’t.

Going by Heeney's last few weeks I think he actually ay be best up forward (Certainly is where he looks most dangerous). Agree on Mills though, definitely needs a run in the midfield (Issue is we need a few more options in defence to make it happen).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back