Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephens had 8 games!

Sure. This isn't about whether Stephens is behind track or anything. But of all the players to challenge Blakey for a spot, Stephens is the most likely. On current evidence I have no reason to believe Stephens would outperform him.

Blakey may or may not benefit from a stint in the reserves, but some people are going on like he's playing like an absolute spud when that's simply not the case. He's doing pretty good. Whether it's good enough to hold his spot in a fully fit side is a different question, but there's no need to swing the axe.

I think it comes down to what people think is best for Blakey.

Those calling for him to be dropped (me included) remember that his BEST game last year came after a reset in the reserves. I don't think there's anything wrong with him having 2-3 games in seniors then having a game in the reserves to consolidate what he's learned, or work on some other aspects of his game, similar to McInerney or Warner.

I just want what is best for Blakey's development, and I think we have past evidence that reserves don't hurt Blakey but help him.

that's like suggesting a year 7 kid consolidate what they learned by dropping back to grade 6 ... makes no sense to me ... unless they're *ingg up week in, week out and costing us games, the best learning for a senior afl player is playing senior afl ...

But this is the problem that people seem to be forgetting - there hasn't been any reserves games for him to consolidate what he's learnt, only the GWS practise games week in and week out! Perhaps if the coaching staff thinks there's things he needs to refine, they must think he can only do it by playing REAL matches with REAL match pressure.
Personally I think he's doing fine, if anything his problem is he's trying TOO hard!
Yes, I also think he is trying to hard. If only there was an easier practice game to play where he can get the balance right.

Shame.

that's like suggesting a year 7 kid consolidate what they learned by dropping back to grade 6 ... makes no sense to me ... unless they're *ingg up week in, week out and costing us games, the best learning for a senior afl player is playing senior afl ...
No, that makes no sense.

That's like saying do a practice test before a real test to consolidate the information you've learnt.

You're doing the same game at a different difficulty and different intensity.

But this is the problem that people seem to be forgetting - there hasn't been any reserves games for him to consolidate what he's learnt, only the GWS practise games week in and week out! Perhaps if the coaching staff thinks there's things he needs to refine, they must think he can only do it by playing REAL matches with REAL match pressure.
Personally I think he's doing fine, if anything his problem is he's trying TOO hard!
Also, we've seen that the coaches are willing to drop players to refine them. See Warner, Wicks, Stephens, and McInerney. It's a really good way to teach a kid.

The problem is is that Blakey is useful in the team, and is probably a net positive. But what's good for the team isn't always good for the player.

Can you really argue that Blakey would of been better off not being dropped last year? Because I'm pretty sure Blakey being dropped would give him the same shot of confidence coming back into seniors.

I personally think the best thing for Blakey at the minute would be to work on his game in the reserves. If the coaches see it differently and he stays in the senior team, that's also fine by me. I like Blakey and at no point have I considered him to be as terrible as people are making it out to be, so I will back the coaches in.

But for the last three weeks, we've had a clean bill of health and the possibility of Rowbottom returning, so there has been the constant possibility that Blakey would be the one to make way. Let's not pretend like acknowledging that reality means anyone was hunting Blakey down with a pitchfork.

Also, we've seen that the coaches are willing to drop players to refine them. See Warner, Wicks, Stephens, and McInerney. It's a really good way to teach a kid.

The problem is is that Blakey is useful in the team, and is probably a net positive. But what's good for the team isn't always good for the player.

Can you really argue that Blakey would of been better off not being dropped last year? Because I'm pretty sure Blakey being dropped would give him the same shot of confidence coming back into seniors.

so you're saying blakey is good for the team ... but drop him?

and last year is not this year ... last year the team was not this year's team ... this year's team is 4-0 ... that's what i don't understand about this weekly, no, daily talk of dropping players ...

so you're saying blakey is good for the team ... but drop him?

and last year is not this year ... last year the team was not this year's team ... this year's team is 4-0 ... that's what i don't understand about this weekly, no, daily talk of dropping players ...
It's only daily because it's a discussion. Think it's good to talk about opinions.

I do think Blakey is good for the team, but it'll be better for the team in the LONG TERM if it's best for the player.

It's like Rampe playing last year with a broken hand. Playing him was bad for him but good for the team, but in the long term it might've been better for him not to play. Not hard to understand.

Secondly, yes we're a different team, even better reason to leave him out since we are a stronger team and could manage losing Blakey better this year than last, when we still decided to drop him.

Finally, as Ceaser88 said, if the coaches pick him I'm not going to be that upset, I trust them in the long run, but I'm just giving my opinion of what I would do in the clubs position. That's all it is, an opinion.

It's only daily because it's a discussion. Think it's good to talk about opinions.

I do think Blakey is good for the team, but it'll be better for the team in the LONG TERM if it's best for the player.

It's like Rampe playing last year with a broken hand. Playing him was bad for him but good for the team, but in the long term it might've been better for him not to play. Not hard to understand.

Secondly, yes we're a different team, even better reason to leave him out since we are a stronger team and could manage losing Blakey better this year than last, when we still decided to drop him.

Finally, as Ceaser88 said, if the coaches pick him I'm not going to be that upset, I trust them in the long run, but I'm just giving my opinion of what I would do in the clubs position. That's all it is, an opinion.

i'm all for opinions

Blakey needs to go back to the reserves for a week or three. Sydney shouldn't reward that type of game he had with a spot in the starting line up next week
not a week or three, try the rest of the season. Develop and find his role, bulk up his bloody arms and then restart next year.

Blakey needs to go back to the reserves for a week or three. Sydney shouldn't reward that type of game he had with a spot in the starting line up next week
Give Amartey his spot. Blakey offered nothing last night. Turned the ball over almost every time he touched the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just struggling under the weight of expectation, it's difficult to be the follow up act to the previous number 22 undersized ruck, the great Dean Towers.

Single-handedly turned the momentum for Freo with his brain fades...

Did those exact same 'do too much' moves in the VFL then gets selected. Fans can see it, how can the coaches not see it? /facepalm

I have been in the "give him time, he'll get there" camp, but gee he was woeful last night.
He appears to have the ability, but he's such a dumb footballer - terrible decision maker with no awareness to what's happening around him and I'm just not sure if that's something that can be taught or developed.

i will sound an arsehole, but i think he drinks his own bathwater and thinks he is a star

probably always been told how great he is, tries to be clever and creative, but its just not working

his pressure instead of tackling where he just thrusts in is riddiculous

he isnt best 22

i will sound an arsehole, but i think he drinks his own bathwater and thinks he is a star

probably always been told how great he is, tries to be clever and creative, but its just not working

his pressure instead of tackling where he just thrusts in is riddiculous

he isnt best 22

you can tell by the way he interviews, spent too much time with bud in his first 2 years

Give him the VFL treatment, that's it. Let him work it out, I'm not worried about him, but I think he'll work it out a lot faster when it's not 1005 pressure

Doesn’t have footy smarts imo

Gets away with it at times On atheist ability

Can’t see a change

I know it was one thing but him getting caught HTB comically was a big red flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back