Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a great game, do not want to take anything away from that. Really, really proud of him

But I want to see if he can defend. We had WCE beaten in the middle which made defense a bit easier. Hope he can win someone solid 1 on 1s and not just intercept and be the release player

100%. Assuming he plays the same role next week, will be great to see him against a strong side.

He'll have a much better Dogs midfield delivering ball in much cleaner fashion while playing on guys like Mitch Wallis or Jason Johannisen this week who are very experienced and capable of exploiting him. No doubt teams will try dragging him to the goal square to test him out.

But if he continues building his skills and confidence after his run in the reserves and game against WCE, I'll back him in. Just stick to the basics defensively, use his prodigious leap to influence contests in the air and then run and create on the back of it.

He's been down on confidence and the coaches haven't been quite sure where to play him. Judging by yesterday he might well be a very 21st century kind of utility playing half-back, wing and half-forward. Doesn't harm his game to learn how to defend, plus it's great to have a player of his pace with that much of the field in front of him.

It looked like in the last qtr we sent Dawson down forward and kept Blakey back, Dawson being another talented left-footer who took a a little time to find his position. That's a potent kind of flexibility and destabilising for opposition defenders that have spent a whole week prepping to play on Hayward and Heeney.

He'll have a much better Dogs midfield delivering ball in much cleaner fashion while playing on guys like Mitch Wallis or Jason Johannisen this week who are very experienced and capable of exploiting him. No doubt teams will try dragging him to the goal square to test him out.

But if he continues building his skills and confidence after his run in the reserves and game against WCE, I'll back him in. Just stick to the basics defensively, use his prodigious leap to influence contests in the air and then run and create on the back of it.
If he does get stuck in 1 v 1s, I don't see why he has to go body on body, because he would probly lose alot of those. He can jump well so if he keeps a bit of space between himself and his opponent he can just run, jump and spoil everything.

I have long said that his biggest issue to overcome was his body. I think playing in a half back role may be the best option to overcome this for Blakey. It is the most bruise-free role on the field and it affords you more time and space to work with, which I think Blakey is suited to.

When he needs to defend and make a contest down back, it might be watch-through-your-fingers stuff (although maybe not as he is tall and has a great leap?) but that won't be too often if he plays that Aliir role.

I guess we'll get a better look when we have one of our standard games where the back line's under the pump, how he handles it.

I'm a fan of Blakey and want him in the team, buuuut,

I'd rather have a chaos merchant going through the forward half than potentially turning the ball over down back.

In saying that, he was very good yesterday so let's hope he keeps it up!

I'd rather have a chaos merchant going through the forward half than potentially turning the ball over down back.

Leo Barry was exactly what your describing and I’m pretty that turned out quite well in the end.

I'm happy to keep trying him in defence but I agree. I'm worried it will backfire badly at some point.

I guess at least he's versatile enough that we can shift him mid-game if he's having a mare.

I'm happy to keep trying him in defence but I agree. I'm worried it will backfire badly at some point.

I guess at least he's versatile enough that we can shift him mid-game if he's having a mare.

or ... he never plays another bad game, and wins at least one brownlow and two norm smiths in our looming five-peat ... although i could be wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe put him on Bont when he roles forward???

Tall and could run with him, strength would be the biggest issue.

Bumping this thread.

Think Blakey may have a permanent spot in our defence now.

Has been excellent over the last few weeks, fantastic disposal out of defence, great rebound speed, intercept marks and some huge spoils.

Think playing out of defence has forced him to simplify his game to great effect.

Bumping this thread.

Think Blakey may have a permanent spot in our defence now.

Has been excellent over the last few weeks, fantastic disposal out of defence, great rebound speed, intercept marks and some huge spoils.

Think playing out of defence has forced him to simplify his game to great effect.

Going early

Remove this Banner Ad

Back