Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand what you are saying and how it relates to my post.

Well players always get a choice if they want to activate father son or not.

Marc Murphy chose not to go to Brisbane and instead went to Carlton in the draft.

Blakey had the same option, he could have gone father some, but instead elected to go for the academy. I am sure in the future some players will choose father son instead.

I know right now is not the ideal time for Blakey without any key forward support, but it's one of my main harping points that he should be streaming off a wing at centre bounces and getting into the circle at centre bounces in a few years.

He doesn't have the frame to be a key forward, even if he fills out a bit he will quite slim and would be outbodied too easily. If he stays a key forward I see him having a profile similar to a rich man's Jarrad Grant.

I know right now is not the ideal time for Blakey without any key forward support, but it's one of my main harping points that he should be streaming off a wing at centre bounces and getting into the circle at centre bounces in a few years.

He doesn't have the frame to be a key forward, even if he fills out a bit he will quite slim and would be outbodied too easily. If he stays a key forward I see him having a profile similar to a rich man's Jarrad Grant.

Needs the lower level games to actually figure these things out IMO. I suspect you're right, but even in a senior game, if he's out of form, throwing him on a wing won't miraculously make him better.

Needs the lower level games to actually figure these things out IMO. I suspect you're right, but even in a senior game, if he's out of form, throwing him on a wing won't miraculously make him better.

Not so much about him getting an extra 5 diposals to justify his selection, more about him spending games developing in a position I personally don't think he fits. It's wasting time in my opinion. Though I do think he is dynamic and skillful enough to make a small impact as a midfielder right now as well.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
We need to work out what he is and play him in the role. Is he going to be a mid long term? If so start playing him there.
in today’s game it is less important about a players physical stature

Rhino5

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Early days and please don't think I'm writing the bloke off (of course not), but I'm yet to see an indication of why he was so highly rated. He's had a few nice moments so far, but overall he's been very underwhelming (not just this year). Far from certain that he's going to be a 'gun', as many just assume. There are plenty of good young players on other teams that I'd rather have at this point.

Part of the issue seems to be that he doesn't really have a clear position. He doesn't look or move like a key forward to me and I'm sceptical with his body type that he will ever be that type of player (if that's what's intended for him).

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He's only three games back after three months off, the last thing he needs is a spell! Dont know what the answer is, particularly with no NEAFL, but i dont think its a spell.
Not a spell. Dropped for team balance. He is a passenger. We do not need passengers. This is not a bus. Same goes for Taylor and Hayward. All passengers. McLean, as much as he did not get big stats, did his job under dreadful conditions the way the ball was coming in, he brought the ball to ground. Ronke was OK for a first game up after injury. He at least put forward pressure on.

Why was Haywardsent to the half back flank? It was a message. Put defensive pressure on.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
He's only three games back after three months off, the last thing he needs is a spell! Dont know what the answer is, particularly with no NEAFL, but i dont think its a spell.

If his execution was off or his decision making needed work then sure, you leave him in the side.

But for me (and I suspect many others) his troubles are effort based. If that is the case, he needs to learn that sub-par effort is unacceptable. That means shaking hands with the Magoo's coaching staff until he gets back to the required level.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If his execution was off or his decision making needed work then sure, you leave him in the side.

But for me (and I suspect many others) his troubles are effort based. If that is the case, he needs to learn that sub-par effort is unacceptable. That means shaking hands with the Magoo's coaching staff until he gets back to the required level.

I am not completely convinced it is work rate. He had 17 pressure acts, his average speed in attack was equal 1st on the ground and of his 5 possessions 4 of them were wing and towards the opposition forward line (our defence).

I just think he is struggling to get into the game and exert himself physically and therefore also lacking a bit of confidence rather than a lack of effort. I could be wrong.

I’d be playing him off a wing, perhaps even a run at half back, just to get him running with, past and onto the ball rather than coming to the ball which he just isn’t able to compete physically with his opponent yet.

My biggest complaint is that he misses easy goals from 35m out.

Yes his brain moves too fast for his body but that will come up in time. Needs to be told that yes you are talented but you need to do the basics first right first.

Going to be a star just needs to pull his head in a bit.

And do 50 set shots from 35m out and if he doesn't nail 45 of them, he does 50 more

I’m not sure he is going to be a star

Nothing what so ever at senior level is suggested that imo
True I forget he is a first rounder we drafted...

In the bin!

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I’m not sure he is going to be a star

Nothing what so ever at senior level is suggested that imo

He did some pretty excellent things last year for an 18 year old playing at senior level. He's rake thin and 19 years old playing in a very weird lockdown-affected season in which tall forwards are having a fraction of the impact they normally have. I wouldn't write his star potential off just yet.

He did some pretty excellent things last year for an 18 year old playing at senior level. He's rake thin and 19 years old playing in a very weird lockdown-affected season in which tall forwards are having a fraction of the impact they normally have. I wouldn't write his star potential off just yet.
I haven’t but he is miles of a start so not point saying it or counting chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back