Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Think he just needs a week off to break the circuit, then he come back and reset. Sinclair and McCartin shouldn't be too far away which will be helpful.

Stevie Johnson was a similar kind of prodigious talent early. Lazy, Arrogant, did the real stupid but did some mercurial things not many could do. Pulled his finger out and became a superstar. I'm hoping we see a similar kind of trajectory with the Lizard.

Lots of time on his side.

Last edited:

Rowbottom's goal doesn't happen without the Lizard. Struggling for sure but everyone so under the pump with this year's mind*. Should have gone for that final quarter 50m goal. Playing a position he wouldn't be if we had half the injuries. Has more upside than most, toys out the cot in this place is getting very old.

Rowbottom's goal doesn't happen without the Lizard. Struggling for sure but everyone so under the pump with this year's mindfu**. Should have gone for that final quarter 50m goal. Playing a position he wouldn't be if we had half the injuries. Has more upside than most, toys out the cot in this place is getting very old.
Didnt understand half of that, but I'm pretty sure I agree :)

In the first half Blakey was non existent, in the second half he had a real go. Kid's in his second season, really needs to bulk up but honestly I think he's doing fine.
100%...He doesn't look the type to put on weight easily either. He is about 2 more pre seasons away from getting the body he needs. He needs time.

you know he was about 4 metres in total from having a 3 goal game.

its never as bad as you think and its never as great as you think.

we and he are struggling but things can turn around with just a little luck. He's a developing player not a tony lockett who has already won a brownlow. there just needs to be an adjustment of expectations. personally i dont think he is too far off. but this website is prone to overreactions in every direction.

i'm still not quite sure what his position is. i think we've had to put a lot of square pegs in round holes over the last few years whereas if he'd come into the team in 2012 he'd be a great fifth wheel as he develops. instead we are in such desperate need to kick goals that its just putting too much pressure on him - let him play and see what he is like in 2022 (along with the rest of the team)

Geez he’s a highly touted top 10 pick on an extended contract not a rescued baby kangaroo

Play better , he’s been s**t, why the need to make endless excuses for people

If the team had no injuries it would be there wasn’t a big enough role he is a support player when there is injuries it’s the wrong role

Just get a kick and look like you give a s**t nick, right now he is lazy and useless out there

The rest of his draft class are leaving him for dead at this rate

His game against WCE was his best of the year (of course it's the best of a bad bunch but still) and I thought he was OK against Richmond. He looked dangerous (3 scoring shots), just didn't finish it off. He's been more active the last couple of weeks imo. I'd keep him in and tell him to keep working hard and it'll come.

Atm his body doesn’t match his intent. He’s just too small atm. Made a nice play where he took a bounce and tried to hand pass to himself but his opponent sneezed and he blew over , can’t break a tackle atm. As soon as he can add some size and strength we will see what he is really capable of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you know he was about 4 metres in total from having a 3 goal game.

its never as bad as you think and its never as great as you think.

we and he are struggling but things can turn around with just a little luck. He's a developing player not a tony lockett who has already won a brownlow. there just needs to be an adjustment of expectations. personally i dont think he is too far off. but this website is prone to overreactions in every direction.

i'm still not quite sure what his position is. i think we've had to put a lot of square pegs in round holes over the last few years whereas if he'd come into the team in 2012 he'd be a great fifth wheel as he develops. instead we are in such desperate need to kick goals that its just putting too much pressure on him - let him play and see what he is like in 2022 (along with the rest of the team)
I understand what you are saying, but we really needed those 4 meters. Some extra size might build the confidence he needed to be able to settle a little more before blasting away as he thought the contact was coming. Thats why he simply needs the time to build his body. He is going to be a jet, I dont know why people are overly concerned about him right now. He needs the time. Expectations for immediate performance on this kid are way overs. I would give him a spell this week to re group a bit. Doubt it will happen though.

was still mostly uninvolved for someone rated so highly, yesterday needs to be his version of a bad to average game

Needs to be dropped. It's a 17 round season and we are now up to round 9. This "give him time" approach is good and all but by the time he's found form again it'll be round 16 at this rate

I thought his game yesterday was great playing further up the ground. Kept his workrate high. Would love him to be hitting the scoreboard a bit more but that will come.

His F50 entries were beautiful. He's a sublime field kick.

This makes sense if we had an experienced replacement and a win or two would be the difference between making finals or not. But it's not that sort of season. I think learning how to turn his own form around, learning how to keep going deep into a season etc is a better plan.
Needs to be dropped. It's a 17 round season and we are now up to round 9. This "give him time" approach is good and all but by the time he's found form again it'll be round 16 at this rate

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This makes sense if we had an experienced replacement and a win or two would be the difference between making finals or not. But it's not that sort of season. I think learning how to turn his own form around, learning how to keep going deep into a season etc is a better plan.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes it could be a better plan. Or he just goes the whole season struggling. I'm really not sure how that would be productive at all.

whys blakey carried like its guaranteed he is a future star,
Doubt he’s been carried because he’s guaranteed of being a future star. Perhaps the harsh reality that we’ve had a lot of injuries to our forward line. At times we’ve had no Franklin, Reid, McCartin and Sinclair. Hayward was struggling also prior to being injured.

The list only runs so deep.

Doubt he’s been carried because he’s guaranteed of being a future star. Perhaps the harsh reality that we’ve had a lot of injuries to our forward line. At times we’ve had no Franklin, Reid, McCartin and Sinclair. Hayward was struggling also prior to being injured.

The list only runs so deep.

Yet McLean was dropped ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back