Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubt he’s been carried because he’s guaranteed of being a future star. Perhaps the harsh reality that we’ve had a lot of injuries to our forward line. At times we’ve had no Franklin, Reid, McCartin and Sinclair. Hayward was struggling also prior to being injured.

The list only runs so deep.

yeah he has mostly been giving us nothing , especially as a forward, all good and well to be tall, but if you go no where near it who cares

he was better this week mind you, but * it, pick a smaller player if in form and make blakey earn the spot imo

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
yeah he has mostly been giving us nothing , especially as a forward, all good and well to be tall, but if you go no where near it who cares

he was better this week mind you, but fu** it, pick a smaller player if in form and make blakey earn the spot imo
Maybe there aren’t any smalls playing well enough. Ronke, Grey, Taylor all game in and out.

Maybe there aren’t any smalls playing well enough. Ronke, Grey, Taylor all game in and out.

it is a tough one, he is highly touted and you can see the pieces, and true re the guys named

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Doubt he’s been carried because he’s guaranteed of being a future star. Perhaps the harsh reality that we’ve had a lot of injuries to our forward line. At times we’ve had no Franklin, Reid, McCartin and Sinclair. Hayward was struggling also prior to being injured.

The list only runs so deep.
Correct, who else is there to play, injuries everywhere. Drop him for whom? It's like the coaches know more than the punters about the team, players development etc. I love the I'd play playerX this week without knowing literally anything about anything about that player.(eg Gould) Loved that tackle yesterday by Lizard, Low on form, not intent.

Blakey played a better game with McCartin and Reid.

To be fair most forwards are struggling this year you only have to look at the Coleman medal to see that. 19 goals after 8 games is low even with reduced quarters.

Agreed, there's no shame in it. Just think you could argue McLean deserved the same faith after kicking two goals as a forward that Blakey has received.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
You know better than coaches?

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed, there's no shame in it. Just think you could argue McLean deserved the same faith after kicking two goals as a forward that Blakey has received.
I just think that when we have other talls in the forward line Blakey provides us with a mobile target who comes down the ground and helps with our transition. I think McLean has some good potential, but he doesn't have that attribute. I'm guessing this is why he keeps getting a game, because the coaches see him as a Gunston type, not a Hawkins, but he has been playing the latter role because of necessity.
He isn't a key forward (and his games this season have shown that), he's a mobile third and yesterday was probably the first chance he had this season to play that. Now he just needs to get some confidence back.

Write off Blakey at your own peril. You could end up right when all is said and done or end up looking back at this thread in embarrassment.

Its far too early to be definitive in the slightest.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He gets games experience. He plays on and against better players and learns from them. He builds mental resilience to keep trying and putting in his all when things aren't going his way.

I don't know what benefit he gets from playing a few scratch matches.
Yes it could be a better plan. Or he just goes the whole season struggling. I'm really not sure how that would be productive at all.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Write off Blakey at your own peril. You could end up right when all is said and done or end up looking back at this thread in embarrassment.

Who are you actually talking to?

He hasn’t been written off anywhere

He'll be an extremely good player It's critical he plays every game this season, it's a developing year lets use it as such.

Oh I just know its coming

Always does

if he plays like he is currently then yeah in a year or 2 it is

but i think his worse case scenario will still be a good player and fan favourite

Back