Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't meant to psychoanalyse you here Kingy but you kind of are comparing him to others when you bring up that he's a top 10 pick. It implies you are expecting him to perform as one of the best kids in his draft like Rozee, Walsh etc are, and he is currently not.

I do agree with you on his form this year though. A few really impressive weeks aside, it's been a disappointing showing. I think two things need to happen if we are to ever get anything close to elite footy out of Blakey:

1. Needs to bulk up, obviously. Far too lean to be an inside mid, and far too lean to be a key position player either. If he doesn't change his body shape and size I am genuinely concerned he will continue to struggle to assert himself on games physically.

2. Needs to find his natural position and settle on it, and learn to nail it. Wing looks his best position like the GWS match, but even then he doesn't look a natural runner like say McInerney, who gets into space and wins easy balls. Blakey has to actually generate his run from the contest, which still relies on him being able to use his physicality and win some hard balls, which he struggles with.

In a nutshell I think he's a tricky prospect. We're gonna have to get a lot right with him as he has a lot more superstar-or-bust material than some of our other kids. But if we do get it right then he will be such a massive asset for us that pick 10 will look like a steal.

You can post what you like I’m not the old man

Yeah ok if that’s comparing him then yes I do expect him to be comparing well to the other top picks , even allowing for areas like height weight being possibly a KPP I think he is well behind where he should be (just imo)

Your summation is key , he could be anything , he could be more likely a bust than others perhaps but equally could be the best in the comp

I’d hope to see more this year, accepting inconsistency but there’s been very few moments for me

You can post what you like I’m not the old man

Yeah ok if that’s comparing him then yes I do expect him to be comparing well to the other top picks , even allowing for areas like height weight being possibly a KPP I think he is well behind where he should be (just imo)

Your summation is key , he could be anything , he could be more likely a bust than others perhaps but equally could be the best in the comp

I’d hope to see more this year, accepting inconsistency but there’s been very few moments for me

In an ideal season Hewett's been playing mids all year and Heeney & Buddy have been at half forward all year, and Blakey's been in the reserves all year where he probably belongs atm. Been a far from ideal season though unfortunately.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Blakey will be a star. We’ve seen it in patches, but until he goes through puberty , he is going to struggle.

the guy isn’t buit for junior yet let alone senior footy. The off season hes should be on minimal cardio and weights and steaks every day. He literally snapped himself in half last night trying to shoulder an opponent.
Once he puts on a bit of size, he will look like a different player, her has the aggression now but just no way of actually using it.

this year was a huge learning year for him and the coaches. He’s not big enough to be a key forward and he’s only being played up the ground late in the year.

he will be fine

dazedjosh

Cancelled
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
In an ideal season Hewett's been playing mids all year and Heeney & Buddy have been at half forward all year, and Blakey's been in the reserves all year where he probably belongs atm. Been a far from ideal season though unfortunately.

In that scenario Heeney and Blakey would be probably be getting marked by the two better HB's the opposition has and Blakey has a bit more freedom to play to his ability on a lesser opponent. It's been tough year for him but I think in the long run it will serve him well.

In that scenario Heeney and Blakey would be probably be getting marked by the two better HB's the opposition has and Blakey has a bit more freedom to play to his ability on a lesser opponent. It's been tough year for him but I think in the long run it will serve him well.

Don't dispute that. I think based on talent he is clearly best 22 but on all evidence I'd have to say based on performance he is not best 22. Because I just don't think his body will allow him to be a consistent contributor for us and with everyone fit he is probably edged out because of it. He needs a few seasons to work on his physique and develop his game and were we not a struggling, rebuilding side smashed by injuries, he'd probably have that luxury.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Don't dispute that. I think based on talent he is clearly best 22 but on all evidence I'd have to say based on performance he is not best 22. Because I just don't think his body will allow him to be a consistent contributor for us and with everyone fit he is probably edged out because of it. He needs a few seasons to work on his physique and develop his game and were we not a struggling, rebuilding side smashed by injuries, he'd probably have that luxury.
Always I

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It's rediculous that we have to rely ok Blakey to win games, I don't think it's a coincidence that our best games have Blakey playing well. He is too young to be consistent and the fact that we are talking about him like he should be shows where our club is atm. Blakey wouldn't be a starter in a top 4 team, but he would in 2-3 more years, and 2-3 years after that he would be relied apon week in and week out to win games.

Where 4-6 years too early to be judging Blakey by these requirements imo.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks mate , sniper is harsh , Jordan Lewis was a sniper plenty of them. All of my thoughts are from the 60's
With all of your experience it would serve you and us if you spoke more about the game giving your thoughts, as you sometimes do, than deriding others.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I mean...No you don't. You crack the shits.
I'll defend Bedford on this one, he does admit when he's wrong.
Just a passionate supporter, don't agree with everything he says/does, but I don't think anyone would want a world where everyone always agrees with each other.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Just a passionate supporter, don't agree with everything he says/does, but I don't think anyone would want a world where everyone always agrees with each other.
I was wrong about Clarke , i thought he'd come good , no way back to his worst the other night. Thanks for your comments , i have that K on ignore. It is a great option for anyone.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think a board where a member becomes abusive when someone disagrees with him and consistently makes personal comments is a particularly desirable one.

Bedford spent a fair while making pretty shitty comments towards me because I disagreed that Shaw would be a better option than Longmire. Bring the topic up later and it's more abusive comments. Not the first time and won't be the last, most likely.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I don't think a board where a member becomes abusive when someone disagrees with him and consistently makes personal comments is a particularly desirable one.

Bedford spent a fair while making pretty shitty comments towards me because I disagreed that Shaw would be a better option than Longmire. Bring the topic up later and it's more abusive comments. Not the first time and won't be the last, most likely.
Because you are perfect WAGC

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

I was defending him saying he was wrong, also said I don't agree with everything he says/does.

Won't comment on the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back