Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Must admit that I didn't see Blakey playing off HBF but without Aliir and Mills back there he may be the ideal hybrid intercept mark/rebounder. What I've noticed in the last couple of weeks is that he still has plenty to learn about defending which is understandable given he hasn't played much back there.
Several times he has jumped to spoil in a pack and missed the ball and been caught out playing a bit loose but given his height and his leap he may just provide that assistance that our undersized backline require for spoiling opposition talls. I think he still has plenty to learn but I'm backing him for this role because his attributes are massive for us if he can learn to defend well. And as we've noticed the attacking run, speed and left boot can be damaging back there. His one sidedness will not be such a problem playing off half back.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
His running off half back and precision kicking in the last couple weeks have resembled a fusion of both Shaw and Malceski.
Went back and had a look at Shaw and Malceski's highlights and plumbed the memory bank.
I think Blakey is more like Shaw with blinding acceleration and ability to run into a gap. Shaw mostly kicked pretty long at the end of it where Blakey is running from further forward and looking for a lead.
Mal was a better kick than Blakey and fairly dodgy but nowhere near the runner.
Rewatched a bit of the Giants game and two tearaway runs from Blakey with huge acceleration were better than either.
He hasn't got the body of work yet but the raw material is there to see.

Since coming back into the team in R16 he's averaged 17.5 disposals, 6 marks, 5 score involvements, 5 intercepts running off half back.
For perspective, prior to this he was averaging 11 disposals, 2.5 marks, 3 score involvements, less than 2 intercepts in 2021.

Credit to Horse for finding a role for him that simplifies his game and allows him to use his athleticism.
Been looking very confident the past month and playing with a lot of clarity, playing his role well and has stopped trying to win the game all by himself.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
He's like a more amped up version of Aliir atm. Playing the 3rd tall intercept marking defender with attacking flair role.

I love the lizard. It's the spoiling which amazes me, he's picked it up effortlessly. If he puts on size in the next few years he might be our KPD. Massive IF.

I still think his impact is minimal

Good coaching to get the hands on the ball, but a decent team in attack will expose him I reckon
I reckon he's tracking okay, has covered the loss of Aliir well so far I think. If he can put on a bit more beef I think he will excel.

I still think his impact is minimal

Good coaching to get the hands on the ball, but a decent team in attack will expose him I reckon

Maybe, but couldn't the same be said of McInerney then?

These guys aren't at HB to defend, they're there to provide rebound with their pace. It's inevitable they'll get exposed defensively as that's just not their natural style (plus they are kids who are still learning!) but I don't think that's the metric by which we should be measuring their impact.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe, but couldn't the same be said of McInerney then?

These guys aren't at HB to defend, they're there to provide rebound with their pace. It's inevitable they'll get exposed defensively as that's just not their natural style (plus they are kids who are still learning!) but I don't think that's the metric by which we should be measuring their impact.

the difference between blakey and mcinerney is composure ... blakey still working on that, but it's certainly improved since his stint in seconds
mcinerney is uber cool, absolutely all class, no issue with composure at all ... all the more remarkable for a kid so early in his career

c'mon, man ... you're obviously a fair judge ... but you're being harsh on blakey ... his impact the past few games has been far from minimal

I never said I was fair

I have the bar set high for blakey :p

I also like to create some angst

the difference between blakey and mcinerney is composure ... blakey still working on that, but it's certainly improved since his stint in seconds
mcinerney is uber cool, absolutely all class, no issue with composure at all ... all the more remarkable for a kid so early in his career

McInerney's an outside player and has been his whole footy career, junior and otherwise. So you expect that composure. Blakey has not only played a variety of different positions but has also been more of a contested type. The composure for him will come once he gets used to having time and space he previously hasn't had. Though I get the feeling he will always be a hell for leather type as that just seems to be in his footy DNA. Could still prove equally as effective as the more poised and composed style.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I got to see a little bit of McInerney in ressies and in his first preseason game in seniors. Two things impressed me:
His dash. He took off like a startled gazelle and could zip past people before they saw him. I thought that was pretty good for a kid recruited as a HBF.
His composure. In seniors he stayed one kick ahead of the ball down the right flank. Looked as if he was under instructions and he was carrying them out. Easy for a young guy to get pulled into the scrum c.f. Stephens but he didn't. If we got the ball there was an outlet all on his own.
Still doing it!
Reckon the coaches must love him. Clearly he listens and does his best to execute.
We rightly talk a lot about the talent of Gulden but this bloke isn't far off.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I got to see a little bit of McInerney in ressies and in his first preseason game in seniors. Two things impressed me:
His dash. He took off like a startled gazelle and could zip past people before they saw him. I thought that was pretty good for a kid recruited as a HBF.
His composure. In seniors he stayed one kick ahead of the ball down the right flank. Looked as if he was under instructions and he was carrying them out. Easy for a young guy to get pulled into the scrum c.f. Stephens but he didn't. If we got the ball there was an outlet all on his own.
Still doing it!
Reckon the coaches must love him. Clearly he listens and does his best to execute.

oh for sure, as far as being cool beyond their years, gulden, mcinerney and warner are quite remarkable ...
and it's a friggin joy to have them all in one team - ours!!!
i think campbell will end up being the same, and mcdonald appears pretty laconic for a young spearhead ...
i think i've said often enough all season, this is a fantastic group of young players

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Still doing it!
If I can use analogies
McInerney is like a marksman. He is fast to the target and lethal.
Gulden is more SAS. He is elusive, clinical, precise and not what you expect.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Happy with his move to HBF, but genuinely nailbiting watching him sometimes - can almost see him thinking “how can I make this play more daring”

He’s like your dog at the park, that you just don’t trust off the leash.

Not because they will attack anyone, but because you are worried they will run off into the bush and you won't see them again.

Back