Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

Such a peculiar player who knows what position he will finish his career as.

Jack of all trades type player?
I think coming off half back gives him more opportunities to use his line breaking abilities, both speed and kicking, than playing on a wing or high half forward. He can see the whole forward line in front of him and is already making much better decisions. He can still sneak forward, perhaps rotating with Dawson, to drag his man out of position. It's difficult to know where he'll end up, but at the moment he's causing plenty of problems for the opposition!

I can see Blakey staying down back for the next couple of years.
His confidence is building and he could well be one of the X factor players we need come finals time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he should stay down back for the foreseeable future, maybe for the rest of his career.

His pace and ability to break lines is far more useful in defence than attack. It's beginning to look like a legitimate match-winning weapon, which it never really did in attack or on the wing.

His form from half-back as of late has really been phenomenal. Horse made a great move, also I made a highlights video/parody about Blakey's resurgence if you want to watch it (The Lizard is taken to its full extreme using some Planet Earth Clips haha)

That is Brilliant!!! Thanks for your creativity and sharing the video for us all to laugh at.

Blakey has certainly turned the corner and his form since shifting to the backline has rocketed out of sight. A triple threat weapon pairing with Lizard, Rampe and Dawson that may become more potent with Campbell returning from injury next year.

Swans slingshot style has returned with a vengeance and kicking efficiency from rebound 50 is key. It will be a pleasure to watch Swans carving up other teams zones over the next few years. A transition from ugly duckling gamestyle to beautiful Swan is unfolding before our eyes. As a fan it's a privilage to watch the change and exciting times are ahead for the Bloods.

Would like to see him get some tackling coaching from some of the rugby league guys , the bump tackle he uses is neither here nor there. About the only thing I can criticize him about at the moment. Has given us a different dimension and another attacking option from the back.

Would like to see him get some tackling coaching from some of the rugby league guys , the bump tackle he uses is neither here nor there. About the only thing I can criticize him about at the moment. Has given us a different dimension and another attacking option from the back.
Nick just has to ask Isaac? ;)

When will he start to put on some bulk? Still one of the skinniest players going around
I don't think his shoulders are going to get any wider. He has a narrow frame. His old man was the wiry type just like Michael Tuck. The one advantage that seems to come with that is durability and longevity and it doesn't mean he can't be strong. Some of the wiry guys are deceptively strong. Should help him keep his pace as well.

I don't think his shoulders are going to get any wider. He has a narrow frame. His old man was the wiry type just like Michael Tuck. The one advantage that seems to come with that is durability and longevity and it doesn't mean he can't be strong. Some of the wiry guys are deceptively strong. Should help him keep his pace as well.

and that spring he's got

Blakey was once again a bright light last night.
He is moving the ball so quickly and generally finding a good target
He is becoming the type of player that sparks a turnaround in game

I love his endeavour and effort to move the ball quickly but it didn't work for him last night as I saw it. A lot of smothered disposal and missed kicks. Plus a bunch of defensive efforts which were ill-advised - in particular allowing the ball out the back in marking contests or not properly killing balls in the air.

Not concerned, this will come with more experience in defence, but he made a few costly blues last night.

I love his endeavour and effort to move the ball quickly but it didn't work for him last night as I saw it. A lot of smothered disposal and missed kicks. Plus a bunch of defensive efforts which were ill-advised - in particular allowing the ball out the back in marking contests or not properly killing balls in the air.

Not concerned, this will come with more experience in defence, but he made a few costly blues last night.

He is a lot of better at spoiling than I thought, I thought he would get out marked a lot more. Learning a new role, just needs to work on the technique of killing the contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back