Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's hope Blakey goes from strength to strength, he has shown a lot before and lost form, so I want to see him put in a solid season (doesn't have to be outstanding, but to keep his spot deservingly)
I agree, and I don't want to jinx him, but I have confidence he will comfortably keep his spot next year. The big difference in the backline is that he is guaranteed to get more of the footy, which is huge for his confidence. Reckon he will only get better next year as he continues to learn the defensive structures. Very excited to see how he goes.

I agree, and I don't want to jinx him, but I have confidence he will comfortably keep his spot next year. The big difference in the backline is that he is guaranteed to get more of the footy, which is huge for his confidence. Reckon he will only get better next year as he continues to learn the defensive structures. Very excited to see how he goes.

At least we have a position for him now.

I think a solid start to the year again will see his confidence rise enough, and gain the experience required to apply himself very well to any position and we can start the the transition process to the midfield

Another 50-100 games and he might start to be something worth a top 10 pick then ?
If he picks up where he left off this season next year I don't think many people will be concerned about how many draft points we spent on him.

I think we're getting to be very happy with Blakey, Rowbottom, and McInerney from that draft. The only question will be whether that, or Gulden, Campbell, and McDonald was a better haul. Exciting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he comes back with the same pace. Looked sensational off HB this year. Great to have him impacting games like this.

Great vid!

I don't know why I thought Blakey at HB wouldn't work. Seems crazy now when it's so obvious it fits him like a glove. It's the perfect position to best use his speed and vision. He needs the field in front of him to work with and slice through with his manic run and ballsy kicking. He seemed to run out of room and was trying to bite off more than he could chew when he was in and around the midfield as he just didn't have that space to work with. I think some players with pace are better at breaking out of congestion with a short burst (Florent is a good example) and some are better at breaking through it with a longer run (Blakey and McInerney)

Great vid!

I don't know why I thought Blakey at HB wouldn't work. Seems crazy now when it's so obvious it fits him like a glove. It's the perfect position to best use his speed and vision. He needs the field in front of him to work with and slice through with his manic run and ballsy kicking. He seemed to run out of room and was trying to bite off more than he could chew when he was in and around the midfield as he just didn't have that space to work with. I think some players with pace are better at breaking out of congestion with a short burst (Florent is a good example) and some are better at breaking through it with a longer run (Blakey and McInerney)
In the highlights I particularly liked the way teammates looked to find him on the burst. Often took him 30m clear in seconds and just a short pass to a leading forward.
HB uses every one of his skills and lets him unleash himself in ways that playing forward just doesn't.

Blakey's like a supercharged version of Dawson. No worries covering his departure
They're different players with different strengths (Blakey not even close in ball use for example), and were playing their best in 2 different positions. So I don't really know why people keep saying Blakey is the replacement, or that he even should be tried as the replacement. He just found a position (half back) where he looked the best he ever has, why would we discover that and then immediately move him to the wing and pushing forward (which was Dawson's best), where he had already been tried less successfully.

Leave Blakey at half back. Find/develop others to play on the wing (McInerney, Campbell, Florent, Gulden, Lloyd if JMac goes back, Stephens, Hayward or Heeney pushing up).

Does anyone have the inside goss on how his recovery is going ? Really really really hoping he loses none of his electrifying pace or confidence next year. A crucial cog in the swans machine.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back