Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been rewatching some our fromast season and it's remarkable how reinvigorated Blakey was from the move back. He's still a real boom and bust player and made quite a few loose kicks that were intercepted, or tried to run when he couldn't. But it's absolutely worth it because he made some loose kicks that were absolutely pin point and opened the game up or ran through tackles at times as well.

I still don't fully believe he will settle at half back, but he should play there for at least 50 games before we try to move him to the wing etc again.

He is KPP sized but I wonder if he will ever take that sort of role. Doesn't seem entirely suited to it tbh.

Does anyone have the inside goss on how his recovery is going ? Really really really hoping he loses none of his electrifying pace or confidence next year. A crucial cog in the swans machine.
I doubt we'll receive anything until after they return into the New Year.

Does anyone have the inside goss on how his recovery is going ? Really really really hoping he loses none of his electrifying pace or confidence next year. A crucial cog in the swans machine.
This was on the 28 Oct
Nick Blakey
Nick is now eight weeks post-surgery and he has been reviewed by the surgeon who is happy with his progress. He is in the gym doing weights and some balance exercises and will commence running at 10 weeks after his operation.
The focus with him is not necessarily based on how quickly we can get him back to running, but rather making sure that when he does return to running that he has got good strength, balance and range of motion to help avoid any deficits he may have that when he gets back into training.

I missed the match v GWS. Was his speed back to its electrifying best or has he lost a few yards due to injury.
Really hope he comes back 100%, his fearless running was a sight to behold last year.

I missed the match v GWS. Was his speed back to its electrifying best or has he lost a few yards due to injury.
Really hope he comes back 100%, his fearless running was a sight to behold last year.
Admittedly got beaten a few times in 1 on 1 contests yesterday. Made one good run from halfback but couldn't find an open man in transition, which was a theme for the team yesterday. Still has a great leap when trying to intercept but its about getting into game shape after the injury.

Looked fine to me from a physical point of view so it doesn’t appear to have negatively effected him.

He just didn't go on many runs. He looked better in defence than last season but didn't show his trademark dash. I think it was more the style of the game than anything else

Love this guy.
My hope is that the defenders around him pull together as a tight, impregnable unit so he (and Mcinerney) can focus on being our first point of attack.

Love this guy.
My hope is that the defenders around him pull together as a tight, impregnable unit so he (and Mcinerney) can focus on being our first point of attack.

With his agility and speed he is going to be hard to tag in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this guy.
I hope you're right. On top of that though I think Nick has a skill set that will allow him to be a very good defender in his own right.
192cm tall
FAST closing speed
Long reach to punch
Big leap
Fearless, not afraid of the contact
Great judge of the ball in flight.
As he learns how to manage his direct opponent and when he can go help out.
He also seems to be enjoying this role and must be getting tons of positive feedback.

With his agility and speed he is going to be hard to tag in the first place.

Read somewhere that Matt De Boer was tagging him, well he didn't do a good job. I don't think you can tag him, he's just too unique with his height and speed. Plus if you're tagging him then Lloyd/Mcinerney have free reins. It's sort of like pick your poison.

Read somewhere that Matt De Boer was tagging him, well he didn't do a good job. I don't think you can tag him, he's just too unique with his height and speed. Plus if you're tagging him then Lloyd/Mcinerney have free reins. It's sort of like pick your poison.
Need to do what Hawthorn used to do to Malceski and what teams began to do to Mills in 2019 and 2020: make them defend 1 on 1.

Now, Blakey being a decent mark and having some height does help mitigate that somewhat

Need to do what Hawthorn used to do to Malceski and what teams began to do to Mills in 2019 and 2020: make them defend 1 on 1.

Now, Blakey being a decent mark and having some height does help mitigate that somewhat

Yep but i'm backing blakey every single time. His height and spoiling ability (underrated) can't be matched, especially when you think he'll be getting the 3rd or 4th best forward.

Yep but i'm backing blakey every single time. His height and spoiling ability (underrated) can't be matched, especially when you think he'll be getting the 3rd or 4th best forward.
If he has a weakness (yet to be exposed) it will be against the ground ball. He will kill most likely opponents in the air. Coaches might attempt to isolate him on a crumbing forward. Could work or could come unstuck in a big way.
He has a terrific year ahead.

Its why Dawson leaving hurt our team so much. He had a quiet one against GWS in the finals last year from having an opponent sit on him. If we has Blakey, McI and Dawson its literally unstoppable. Some teams might try play two defensive forwards to stop Blakey and McI but 3 just cant happen

If he has a weakness (yet to be exposed) it will be against the ground ball. He will kill most likely opponents in the air. Coaches might attempt to isolate him on a crumbing forward. Could work or could come unstuck in a big way.
He has a terrific year ahead.

That would be interesting, I think he would beat them comfortable. He would have the speed to match them on the ground level and obviously destroy them in the air. GBG will be hard for him since he's 195cm haha.

Its why Dawson leaving hurt our team so much. He had a quiet one against GWS in the finals last year from having an opponent sit on him. If we has Blakey, McI and Dawson its literally unstoppable. Some teams might try play two defensive forwards to stop Blakey and McI but 3 just cant happen

Yep, teams also need to have quality defensive forwards. I doubt there's many teams with 2 quality defensive forwards. Blakey is just a matchup nightmare, we actually have two players with Heeney in the mids/forward. Logan once he builds his tank will become the 3rd imo.

blakey also has that hair trigger mind when he's got the ball ... he can also take a mark, land and take off, or he can take possession and look momentarily like he's pausing to consider his options but then take off, and because he has that explosive speed off the mark there's few who can go with him, so he's both hard to anticipate and also all but impossible to catch ...
his vision and game awareness have improved enormously since this time last year ...
and i still think his defence, and especially his one-on-one tackling, are underrated

As a massive Aliir Aliir fan and someone who maintains it was still a mistake to let him go, Blakey is making me less depressed about that decision with every game. He looks every bit as good as Aliir, and with his age, could potentially be better.

Love this guy.
Have to hide Lloyd, worst defender in back six. Can organise but is a weak defender in a contest.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back