AFL Toast 22 point win against Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I argued playing experience this week and I reckon Brown paid off but Green and Myers that should be it for those two. Enough good players to come in from here. 3 out of 4 games is a great result and if we continue like this finishing 8th or 9th a decent result. Half our team is new this year and they are all playing well so no rush to add more youth. Ridley in and Hooker forward please. Keen to see Francis next. Still think tippa us lost forward but that's just me. Go bombers. Glass half full.
Myers was good without being great. Given Heppell went down it was important to have him on the field.

Brown tried but don’t see what he brings over Stewart.

Green was deadset ordinary. Please give Long a chance over him.

I argued playing experience this week and I reckon Brown paid off but Green and Myers that should be it for those two. Enough good players to come in from here. 3 out of 4 games is a great result and if we continue like this finishing 8th or 9th a decent result. Half our team is new this year and they are all playing well so no rush to add more youth. Ridley in and Hooker forward please. Keen to see Francis next. Still think tippa us lost forward but that's just me. Go bombers. Glass half full.
Green got injured yet again. Thought Myers played well. AFL had him one of our best players (28 possessions).

Myers was good without being great. Given Heppell went down it was important to have him on the field.

Brown tried but don’t see what he brings over Stewart.

Green was deadset ordinary. Please give Long a chance over him.

Brown did some nice things. Thought he was quite nimble on his feet & put the ball in some good spots.

His 2nd qtr was significant in getting us a buffer we didn’t relinquish. The gather & dish assist to hepp was outstanding, as was his left snap goal off the pack.

I wasnt a fan of his inclusion but as a fwd he wasn’t too bad at all today.

Last edited:
On McGrath...he keeps reminding me in so many different ways of both Rama and Wangas. Another one is...he never looks tired..or flat footed..or sluggish..even in last qrts. Never ending energy..always moving like a hare on the move.

Wonderful to watch.

Concur - Two blokes having a red hot crack at it with eyes on the ball, Hep came off 2nd best, play on - thats football.
Good to see both Hep and Hodge having a chat after the game.

Another thing on this as well - I didn't catch who it was, but a Brisbane player immediately after the collision stood over Hep and signaled for help straight away.

Often you see players play on and focus on the ball, but the player showed real concern for his well being which is good to see.

If anything, Heppell shouldn't have left himself wide open like that. More or less asking for it.
Yeah it was just a collision in a contact sport. In the instant I actually thought it was super courageous by Heppell as he tried to take him on but got wiped out.

Hodge, as much as I hate him, did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Contact sport means this s**t happens. Play on

If anything, Heppell shouldn't have left himself wide open like that. More or less asking for it.
I don't think Hepp reacted to Hodge fumbling it.

Hodge was able to brace for the impact but Hepp still went in to wrap him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Hepp reacted to Hodge fumbling it.

Hodge was able to brace for the impact but Hepp still went in to wrap him up.

That was my take on it as well, Heppell read it and would have had Hodge cold had he not dropped it but then when he did he only had enough time to get maybe 15% of the way down luckily enough for him because it could have been really bad.

If we're being honest Hodge probably did have time enough to react and not completely iron him out but it's still a good honest contest.

I loved the play directly afterwards where Hodge tried to chuck in a cheeky swinging fist at Redman's head, that could have been nasty

Our forward structures still need some work. I was watching the game with 1.5 minutes to go in the 3rd I think it was. All the forwards were just standing still with one hand in the air - no leads, no movement. I don't have the skills to put up the footage, but it was pretty damning for a lack of effort.

This has been a regular problem for a while now. Mids and half forwards not pushing up at the ball to free up space means there's no room for the deep forwards to lead in to. It just results in the bomb 20-30m from the goalsquare where a big pack has formed and allows the likes of Andrews to have a field day picking everything off.

Another thing on this as well - I didn't catch who it was, but a Brisbane player immediately after the collision stood over Hep and signaled for help straight away.

Often you see players play on and focus on the ball, but the player showed real concern for his well being which is good to see.

I think it was Stefan Martin. Was really nice to see honestly.

Some of our players need to work harder. End of the 3rd Quarter. Myers has the ball (bottom right). Bellchambers, AMT, Green and Stringer are all just standing with a hand in the air calling for the ball. Is this our set play for the forward line? No Leads, no movement and this went on for a while (Myers received the ball from Merret in the bottom left corner who also received no leads).
I am sorry to out these players, but it is just very lazy football.
upload_2018-6-11_8-55-44.png

I was going to try and work out how to make it into a gif, but there was no need as no one was moving anyway.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-11_8-44-58.png
    upload_2018-6-11_8-44-58.png
    476 KB · Views: 92
Can we please stop bombing the ball inside 50 when we mark it 60-70 metres out. Can’t count the amount of times I cringed when we did this and it was intercepted by a Lions defender, typically Andrews.

Would be a farce if Hodge does get suspended. Exactly what you're saying Kakkle. Hep probably contributed to the injury by leaving himself so open to contact. Same reason why I was disappointed Burton was suspended earlier in the year opposed to Higgins who left himself exposed to the hit and little brace or expectations of impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back