Autopsy 22 point win over Carlton - Rd 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Going back with the flight is vastly over rated by the old timey commentators IMO. Brown went back with the flight a lot. Will possibly die of dementia at leat 10-15 years early as a result. Commentators love to cheer it on, reminds me of those calling kids to war in WW1 how they go about it. But they aren't to be seen in hospital later or during the week when the ongoing symptoms of severe head trauma are still there. Plenty of 'Harry Hardnuts' on their laptops also ready to criticize what is essentially the smart thing to do.

There are ways to demonstrate courage on the field that don't involve outright stupidity IMHO.
What are you on about. Nobody is asking him to be a kamakazi pilot.. The two situations he just needed to stand strong and mark the footy.. I thought on one occasion he dropped his head and the other was 50 50, maybe just dropped the mark. I'd like to see him stay in the team this week, maybe he'll find his feet and make a real impact in the 2nd half of the year.

Yes if we didn't beat Blue Baggers we should not be in the comp. We did this without our top ruck. Without our second choice ruck. Without all the players making headlines in the early season, Gulden, Campbell and Mcdonald. Without first choice FB, Melican. Carlton were pretty well full strength.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You lost me at Melican. Otherwise you make great points.

Not our best win, but will take the four points.

Pleasing that Sinclair could get the job done. But seriously, what was with Papley nominating for the ruck? Got away with it the first time, but the second time Pittonet couldn't believe his luck as he belted it 30 metres forward.
Good to see Lloyd and Cunningham getting into some consistent form.
McInerney seemed to struggle for momentum after missing a week.
Hayward seems to have turned the corner and will be among our first picked going forward.
Parker seemed to wait off the ball a lot; is it just me or did he shirk a few high contests? Has he been instructed not to jump or something?
Need to keep chalking up these wins.

And Patrick Cripps should have been BOG today. Sure, Heeney did a lot of great things, but Cripps was more damaging throughout the whole game.

Not our best win, but will take the four points.

Pleasing that Sinclair could get the job done. But seriously, what was with Papley nominating for the ruck? Got away with it the first time, but the second time Pittonet couldn't believe his luck as he belted it 30 metres forward.
Good to see Lloyd and Cunningham getting into some consistent form.
McInerney seemed to struggle for momentum after missing a week.
Hayward seems to have turned the corner and will be among our first picked going forward.
Parker seemed to wait off the ball a lot; is it just me or did he shirk a few high contests? Has he been instructed not to jump or something?
Need to keep chalking up these wins.

And Patrick Cripps should have been BOG today. Sure, Heeney did a lot of great things, but Cripps was more damaging throughout the whole game.

For a start JMac was wonderful. Had a really good game. Sinclair was only justa. He dropped so many marks I think he must have put butter on his fingers instead of Gecko Grip (apparently this has replaced the old stuff). I don't think Cripps was BOG. He got a lot of free kicks and you can't touch the bastard.

Parker has been flying against the big guys far too often. I would not be surprised if the coaches have asked him to look who is in the contest before flying.

Going back with the flight is vastly over rated by the old timey commentators IMO. Brown went back with the flight a lot. Will possibly die of dementia at leat 10-15 years early as a result. Commentators love to cheer it on, reminds me of those calling kids to war in WW1 how they go about it. But they aren't to be seen in hospital later or during the week when the ongoing symptoms of severe head trauma are still there. Plenty of 'Harry Hardnuts' on their laptops also ready to criticize what is essentially the smart thing to do.

There are ways to demonstrate courage on the field that don't involve outright stupidity IMHO.
He wasn't going back with the flight tho.he was just standing there and thought he was going to get cleaned up from behind because he heard the wind. No one's saying be courageously stupid. But those two moments were routine marks that 99% of players would've taken without a second thought.

It's not a good look and it's not something you see in AFL players often. I now have 0 trust in him being a leader for this club because I don't beleive he has enough courage to commit himself at the footy and make things happen. People use McVeigh as an example of someone who would squib... Well we'll talk about that if he becomes half as good as McVeigh.

The reason why mccartin impressed when first transitioning to defence is because he started off as a third/fourth tall. It gave him the opportunity to float and play off his man. He played his best footy leading his man to the ball. Now as a KPD he is getting exposed defensively constantly playing from behind and is not having the same opportunities going the other way because he's preoccupied with the oppos best tall forward.

I have faith that he can turn into a solid KPD but I'd rather him not play on the better forwards. It takes away from his attributes imo.

I just don't think that's true. McCartin's 1 on 1 work was also impressive. He's now often taking the number 1 tall, instead of the second or third, so yes, he's playing against better opposition... which means he's going to get beaten.

I really don't understand what people are expecting of him.

They used pick 5 on him so it’s their interest to give him more than ample time wether it’s right or wrong

Not saying either way
That's never prevented them from leaving young players in the reserves before. People still say it's one of the reasons we lost Mitchell.

McLean probably needs a rest. He has been down two weeks in a row. I think he is tired. Looked slow and lethargic in the last two weeks. Time for an Amartey.

If Naismith is ready we need him in next week. Amartey can give him a break and is capable of rucking more than 30%. Amartey gives us a very big presence forward but has the ability to be very good at ground level too.

Pity our reserves could not play a real match this week. But apparently they had a scratch match against Carlton reserves as Carlton brought the whole squad up as they were staying in Sydney over two weeks.

I just don't think that's true. McCartin's 1 on 1 work was also impressive. He's now often taking the number 1 tall, instead of the second or third, so yes, he's playing against better opposition... which means he's going to get beaten.

I really don't understand what people are expecting of him.
Don't play him on the number 1 tall. If he's going to get beaten because he's outsized then atleast keep him on the second or third tall so he can compete and be as effective as he has shown in the past.

I get tho we're slim in defence, hoping melican and fox come back in asap so mccartin can be relieved.

He's so much more than just a 1 v 1 defender, I'd hate to lose that because he's being pidgeon holed into becoming the KPD that plays on the best forward.

Hayward had a great game. Did some really clean thins and played a key role in a few goals, as well as hitting the scoreboard himself. Having him and Heeney as very good marking smalls makes us a pretty hard forward line to line up on.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I must admit I love the idea of playing two talls, two mediums, and two smalls in the forward line. When you have two players who can mark like talls but provide mobility and ground ball threat of smalls it makes you so hard to match up on.

Don't play him on the number 1 tall. If he's going to get beaten because he's outsized then atleast keep him on the second or third tall so he can compete and be as effective as he has shown in the past.

I get tho we're slim in defence, hoping melican and fox come back in asap so mccartin can be relieved.

He's so much more than just a 1 v 1 defender, I'd hate to lose that because he's being pidgeon holed into becoming the KPD that plays on the best forward.

With all due respect it seems like there's some goalposts being moved here to spare McCartin some flack. He got his arse handed to him yesterday, no ifs ands or buts about it. But that's OK. These are just things he will have to experience and get through en route to becoming the player I think nearly all of us believe he can be. Just ask Jacob Weitering and Steven May how many bags they had kicked against them while they were developing defenders before they became the stars they are today.

But it's silly to say that McCartin shouldn't be the KPD who plays on the best forward, because that's literally what we wanted from McCartin.

You argue he is undersized, but if not 193cm McCartin, then who? 187cm Rampe? 185cm Fox?

You argue it should be Melican, but McCartin was supposed to be the superior option to Melican...

You argue he is being pidgeonholed into that role of playing on the best forwards, but that role - shutting down Dixon last year, giving Hawkins a bath in round 18 - was the whole basis of the argument for moving him to defence.

He is doing fine and learning to play the role that we want him to play over the next decade. It's inevitable that there will be growing pains that come with it as he takes that next step.

... hoping melican and fox come back in asap so mccartin can be relieved.
Melican has redone his hamstring so not until after the bye :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney, Lloyd and later on Cunningham all got plenty of the footy but that was because Carlton ended up double teaming Buddy when we could those three owe Buddy some of their salary. Our player behind the ball was simply negating Buddy while your player behind the ball (or at stoppages in Heeneys case) was creating attack. Why someone wouldn't leave their direct opponent and go to the more dangerous Heeney at stoppages I don't know.

My votes
5 Heeney
4 Cripps
3 Buddy
2 McKay (higher if kicked straight)
1 Kennedy

Lloyd and Cunningham still played well obviously as well.

Not enough winners for long enough for the Blues.

20 players have scored coaches votes across 11 rounds with 8 (*) players 22 years or under!
AFL Coaches Association’s AFL Champion Player Award

Leaderboard for Swans

28 Tom Hickey (SYD)
24 Callum Mills (SYD)
23 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
17 Lance Franklin (SYD)
10 Sam Wicks (SYD) *
10 Luke Parker (SYD)
9 Errol Gulden (SYD) *
9 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
6 Tom McCartin (SYD) *
8 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
8 Tom Papley (SYD)
6 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
5 Oliver Florent (SYD) *
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD) *
4 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
4 Chad Warner (SYD) *
2 Hayden McLean (SYD) *
2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Will Hayward (SYD) *
=====
Round 1 Brisbane Lions
10 Callum Mills (SYD)
7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
Round 2 Adelaide Crows
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
Round 3 Richmond
10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
7 Tom Papley (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Callum Mills (SYD)
Round 4 Essendon
10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
Round 5 GWS
9 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Will Hayward (SYD)
Round 6 GCS
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
Round 7 Geelong
10 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Tom McCartin (SYD)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)
Round 8 Melbourne
7 Callum Mills (SYD)
1 Tom Hickey (SYD)
Round 9 Collingwood
9 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
5 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
4 Callum Mills (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)
Round 10 Freemantle
8 Lance Franklin (SYD)
Round 11 Carlton
10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
4 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
3 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Tom Papley (SYD)

Leaderboard
61 Clayton Oliver MELB
50 Marcus Bontempelli WB
50 Hugh McCluggage BL
47 Touk Miller GCFC
47 Darcy Parish ESS
46 Ollie Wines PORT
45 Zach Merrett ESS
44 Samuel Walsh CARL
43 Max Gawn MELB

I get a little peeved when we have a win and all the commentary is about the team we beat:mad: Its like Carlton lost all by themselves somehow.

They didn't lose by themselves. They lost with the men in green on their side!

That's never prevented them from leaving young players in the reserves before. People still say it's one of the reasons we lost Mitchell.
Here we go. Mitchell played 19 games in 2015 and 26 games in 2016, before he took the Judas money for the Hawks. He's never played that many since. He played 65 games in his first 4 years at the Swans and 63 in his next 4 at the Hawks. Mitchell left for $$ and probably a chance to win a Charlie. He was never gonna win enough votes at the Swans with Parker, Hanners, Franklin & Kennedy all polling ahead of him and an up and coming Heeney just behind. Tom Mitchell spells Team with an I.

Here we go. Mitchell played 19 games in 2015 and 26 games in 2016, before he took the Judas money for the Hawks. He's never played that many since. He played 65 games in his first 4 years at the Swans and 63 in his next 4 at the Hawks. Mitchell left for $$ and probably a chance to win a Charlie. He was never gonna win enough votes at the Swans with Parker, Hanners, Franklin & Kennedy all polling ahead of him and an up and coming Heeney just behind. Tom Mitchell spells Team with an I.
For once i agree , he's a selfish henry the 3rd

100 percent

Pick them on form, no debate from me there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back