Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldstein 106kg's! :eek:

The Monster was only 200/100 when we drafted him, this blokes 201/106 thats huge.

Goldstein 106kg's! :eek:

The Monster was only 200/100 when we drafted him, this blokes 201/106 thats huge.

That is ********ing massive considering he doesn't turn 19 until mid next year.

He has a very Basketball name - very American.

A bit more on Goldstein from http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20799698%5E19742,00.html

From the sounds of it, he might take a bit of time before he is ready.

Mateship tips Todd into footy
22 November 2006 Herald-Sun
Jon Anderson

SHOULD Todd Goldstein be drafted on Saturday, and indications suggest his chances are better than even money, it will represent a major victory for football over basketball.

Goldstein is not your oft-told story of a kid who dabbled a bit in both, rather an 18-year-old who until three months ago had considered nothing else but a basketball future.

And why shouldn't he, given he remains in the Australian Institute of Sport's under-19 squad, is still in the running for Victoria's under-20 team and has received strong expressions of interest to play college basketball in the US next year.

At 201cm and 105kg, the Trinity Grammar Year 12 student had resisted persistent offers from the Oakleigh Chargers to give football a go.

That was until April 1 this year when he decided to register with the Chargers. Some frantic faxing took place between Oakleigh regional manager Stephen Conole and Todd's father Jeff, ensuring his registration went through an hour before deadline.

And so began a love affair that blossomed into a TAC Cup victory, with ruckman Goldstein a key component in Oakleigh's come-from-behind win against Calder Cannons on grand final day.

As of last night, the recruiting managers of five AFL clubs -- Sydney, Melbourne, Kangaroos, Hawthorn and Goldstein's beloved Essendon -- had visited him at his parents' Kew home.

All this for a teenager who played only the last eight games for Oakleigh and admits he's a long way off.

"I'm so new to it all that you would definitely describe me as a project player, but hopefully I haven't left it all too late because I've fallen in love with football. And that is despite playing basketball since I could walk. My life has been basketball," Goldstein said yesterday.

"The mateship I got from football at Oakleigh, I never got from basketball. No matter what happens, there are guys from that Oakleigh team who will be friends for the rest of my life.

"Some basketball guys I might never see again. Footy is leading by a mile because of the culture of the sport. You get such tight groups."

Goldstein, who was regarded as too small to play tall roles in basketball, made huge inroads in the small time he was with the Chargers.

"His two months with us were sensational. In fact his development was nothing short of sensational. Todd has skills most kids of his size don't possess," Conole said.

"He's got a big strong frame and real awareness and ball handling in heavy traffic, which I guess comes from playing basketball, where he was constantly surrounded by bodies.

"He's also a very good young bloke."

I was also reading somewhere that this guy is slow over the first 20 metres (Weaver's draft I think).

This guy seems like an exact replica of McIntosh to me. Might have been ok as a pick lower down (even though someone else would have snapped him up), but I just felt there were still better midfield & forward options available when this pick came around.

Delighted with this pick, finally a tap ruckman!! I'm not sure why people are getting so upset about us picking another ruckman. If our drafting of Hale and Hamish has taught us anything, it is how long these big blokes take to develop. I doubt Goldstein will play at all next year, and maybe not in the year after either.

By the time he is ready to consistantly play AFL anything could have happened by then. Better to have too many big blokes than not enough (see Carlton!).

Re: Goldstein?

Look at how we've built our ruck division (very clever by the club):

Hale - The All-Rounder

Hamish - Forward Orientated

Moran - Athletic Ruckman

Goldstein - Tap ruckman
I agree 100%. Was at first a little dissapointed, but now that we have a tap ruckman, we will definantly have the best ruck divison in 2-3 years time, and with none of them over 24, we cant lose! Look at positives, no one will be able to compete with or rucks in a few years time!

To those who think we didn't need to draft another ruckman, here is what I posted in another thread on this topic:

Hale and McIntosh are 22 or there abouts. Goldstein is 4 years younger which is perfect IMO. Or do you want your next ruckman to be 6 or 7 years younger?

The list is like a living organism that needs to regenerate itself as cells do in order to survive.

What happened when McCkernan and Capuano started to fall off the pace not long after the 99 GF? We had to draft and trade for band aid solutions in Porter and Burton, and only drafted Hale and McIntosh in 2001 and 2002 respectively. That was Pagan's lack of forward thinking, and we paid the price by not having a dominant ruck division up until today.

Having the next talented ruckman in line who is 4 years younger is smart list management.

I agree 100%. Was at first a little dissapointed, but now that we have a tap ruckman, we will definantly have the best ruck divison in 2-3 years time, and with none of them over 24, we cant lose! Look at positives, no one will be able to compete with or rucks in a few years time!

Brissy will have a pretty decent ruck division as well.

Brissy will have a pretty decent ruck division as well.
I agree, but i think contrary to other's point of views, we will have the better team all round, and so we should be able to beat them aswell. I would be very suprised that with the young list we've got, we couldn't consistantly make finals from 2009 onwards.

Interesting comments from D-Mac on 3AW in the last hour when questioned by that pair of serial North haters, why another ruckman..

Hale is bookmarked for CHF
Moran's development is ongoing, just because he's tall he shouldn't be pigeon holed as a ruckman - may end up developing as a midfielder
McIntosh - will shoulder the ruck work, but was recruited frm U18's as a forward
Plus we also have Tim Hutchison on the list.

That's 5 big blokes on the list.

Here's what his coach at the Oakleigh Chargers,Rohan Welsh,has to say about him: " Todd came to us about round 15 and played very well. He's got terrific athleticism,he's great below his knees and he's one of the best tap ruckmen I've seen since I've been involved in the TAC cup. He went to America to represent Australia in basketball and has only been playing footy for a year. A beauty!"

Moran's development is ongoing, just because he's tall he shouldn't be pigeon holed as a ruckman - may end up developing as a midfielder

That is the big variable and I agree wholeheartedly with Dmac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Hale can fill that role, but he seems a long way off it to me.
I haven't seen many pack marks and even his kicking was off the boil this season.
I'm far more confident about him as a ruckman, but hope I am wrong.

I think Hale would make a better FF than a CHF, you need to be pretty mobile and read the play well to play at CHF.

I'd like to see Hansen developed for CHF. He has the speed, endurance, ability to read the play, good hands. It is the harded position to fill and he should be groomed for that role. I'd play him on a half forward flank for 2007, give him some game time at CHF but I wouldn't rush him. While Hale will play mostly CHF in 2007 I do believe it is because Hansen wont be ready to hold that position for a few years. Eventually Hale will be moved to FF as Thommo gets older.

Thompson, Hale and Hansen as our three talls has me pretty excited. :p Add in Edwards, Jones and Whyman and I think we will have a potent forward line.

I think Moran will eventually be our CHB, he is VERY fast for his size, agile and CHB is the easiest position to play as you do not need an intimate knowledge of the game as the ball is more or less coming straight at you all the time. His atheletesism at CHB will be huge. That leave Petrie for full back, am happy with that.

If Goldy is a huge tap ruckman I would be very happy to see him and McIntosh fill that role. We are starting to see the makings of a very good side and we are doing it the right way by securing the key position players first, they take a lot longer to develop and while they are developing we can focus on strengthening the midfield stock.

Interesting comments from D-Mac on 3AW in the last hour when questioned by that pair of serial North haters, why another ruckman..

Hale is bookmarked for CHF
McIntosh - will shoulder the ruck work, but was recruited frm U18's as a forward
Plus we also have Tim Hutchison on the list.

That's 5 big blokes on the list.

It's good to see that Hutchison is getting a mention, even if it's not much of a wrap.

I'm happy with Goldy and I reckon he'll play senior footy for us next year after leading our rucks in the VFL for the first half of the season. He's big, strong, smart and mobile (even if he couldn't beat Boomer over the first 20 metres). I'd never even heard of him before the TAC GF but he absolutely dominated that game.

Another positive is Goldy has all the time in the world to develope as we already have 3 other ruckman, and, unlike Hale and Hamish, there isn't the pressure of being a 1st round pick. Should come along nicely.:thumbsu:

200 cm midfielder, interesting concept. I've not even seen highlights of him play yet (footy show went off air in last few weeks over here before the finals) but to even be talked about as a midfield possibility suggests he is some athlete.

Still Spider Burton used to be the best rover and crumber at the club, so I guess anything is possible.

200 cm midfielder, interesting concept. I've not even seen highlights of him play yet (footy show went off air in last few weeks over here before the finals) but to even be talked about as a midfield possibility suggests he is some athlete.

Moomba, the kid is a freak.

Still don'ty know if he'll make it, but physically, you probably won't see a better athlete. Amazing short sprint times at the draft camp (held the record. At 200cm's). More impressively, his endurance is fantastic.

Again, dunno if he will be any good but physically, playing as a midfielder isn't that stupid.

Moomba, the kid is a freak.

Still don'ty know if he'll make it, but physically, you probably won't see a better athlete. Amazing short sprint times at the draft camp (held the record. At 200cm's). More impressively, his endurance is fantastic.

Again, dunno if he will be any good but physically, playing as a midfielder isn't that stupid.

Yep, as stupid as it sounds, he tagged Nathan Buckley, and amassed 6 or 7 possessions that quarter, whilst buckley got about 9, i dont expect him to be a tagger, just an indication of his athletisism, moves like Corey McKernan.

I think Hale would make a better FF than a CHF, you need to be pretty mobile and read the play well to play at CHF.

I'd like to see Hansen developed for CHF. He has the speed, endurance, ability to read the play, good hands. It is the harded position to fill and he should be groomed for that role. I'd play him on a half forward flank for 2007, give him some game time at CHF but I wouldn't rush him. While Hale will play mostly CHF in 2007 I do believe it is because Hansen wont be ready to hold that position for a few years. Eventually Hale will be moved to FF as Thommo gets older.

Thompson, Hale and Hansen as our three talls has me pretty excited. :p Add in Edwards, Jones and Whyman and I think we will have a potent forward line.

I think Moran will eventually be our CHB, he is VERY fast for his size, agile and CHB is the easiest position to play as you do not need an intimate knowledge of the game as the ball is more or less coming straight at you all the time. His atheletesism at CHB will be huge. That leave Petrie for full back, am happy with that.

If Goldy is a huge tap ruckman I would be very happy to see him and McIntosh fill that role. We are starting to see the makings of a very good side and we are doing it the right way by securing the key position players first, they take a lot longer to develop and while they are developing we can focus on strengthening the midfield stock.
Very good on this topic and i agree whole heartedly!!!
In next years draft if the club does not shoot for the best midfielders i probably wont renew my membership until we do. We probably will finish low bottom 8 next year to give us the oppertunity.
It is great to see that we are going for players to build a team around and next draft should be that time. Will wait and see.

They only team the roos will fear in 2-3 years will be carlton, their midfield is going to be awsome!

They only team the roos will fear in 2-3 years will be carlton, their midfield is going to be awsome!

Pfft, il Take Wellsy, Swallow and Smith any day of the week to beat Gibbs, Murphy and Walker when we go head to head in 2-3 years. whats the use of them getting the ball when Hansen just takes a hanga every time they kick it down their? ;)

i think it would be more so the Hawks than anyone Franklin, Roughead and Thorp have alot of potential, but so to did the Saints 3 years ago, and still they havnt won the big one.

Two similiar players. First Moran whos come from a rugby background, has come from Queensland and is a ruckman and Frankenstein has come from a basketball background, come from queensland and is also a ruckman.

from what i have seen of this guy ,he will be an exellent tap ruckman .only a short time in the game and can go forward and kick goals . good pick up and will be a player .

Yep, as stupid as it sounds, he tagged Nathan Buckley, and amassed 6 or 7 possessions that quarter, whilst buckley got about 9, i dont expect him to be a tagger, just an indication of his athletisism, moves like Corey McKernan.

I hope he does become like the man, except try winning what corey got robbed off. But the main thing is getting the premiership Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back