Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's not the All-Australian ruck this year, I will seriously be asking questions of those involved and the media at large; because it is not up for debate as good as anyone thinks Gawn, Nic Nat or Grundy are going. Goldstein is undeniably having a career-best year in probably almost all aspects and he needs to be rewarded and recognised for it.
of course, the fact we are only half way through the season doesn't come in to it.

No. It doesn't. Nobody was even close to his numbers for at least the first 6 rounds of the year.

Nic Nat has had 2 decent games.
Gawn has only just started to be good consistently.
Grundy has been overrated.

Right, so how anyone plays for the remainder of the season has no influence on AA selection.

BTW, in rounds 2, 4 and 5 (Gawn didn't play round 3) Gawn averaged 20 disposals, 33 hit outs and 4 clearances. Yeah, he's only just started to get good consistency!!

Goldy has been awesome this year, but so to has Gawn. Not sure why that is so hard for people to accept.

Right, so how anyone plays for the remainder of the season has no influence on AA selection.

BTW, in rounds 2, 4 and 5 (Gawn didn't play round 3) Gawn averaged 20 disposals, 33 hit outs and 4 clearances. Yeah, he's only just started to get good consistency!!

Goldy has been awesome this year, but so to has Gawn. Not sure why that is so hard for people to accept.

Not if Goldstein continues current from for a mere 8 games in the remainder of the season when imo he has a clear 2-3 rounds lead against his competition.

Gawn can continue playing how he is for the rest of the year also, but if Goldstein does as well, its not really up for debate, Goldstein had the better year for longer and that argument of Goldstein vs Gawn can pretty much end by the time we play Melbourne, if he touches up Gawn in that game the media shouldn't ignore him anymore he has to be the leading man in the conversation for AA

As things stand right now, I think Goldy deserves the nod over Gawn. However, we play the Demons in a week. That will be interesting. Gawn has literally towelled up Todd on each occasion since 2016. Goldy needs to turn that around in R11.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not if Goldstein continues current from for a mere 8 games in the remainder of the season when imo he has a clear 2-3 rounds lead against his competition.

Gawn can continue playing how he is for the rest of the year also, but if Goldstein does as well, its not really up for debate, Goldstein had the better year for longer and that argument of Goldstein vs Gawn can pretty much end by the time we play Melbourne, if he touches up Gawn in that game the media shouldn't ignore him anymore he has to be the leading man in the conversation for AA
wtf are you on about. You're making out like Gawn has been s**t. Have you even seen him play? Goldys lowest disposal game was last week when he played puss. He had 8 disposals but 41 hit outs. Gawns lowest disposal game was this week, with 11 but 40 hit outs.

Goldy kicks more goals. Gawn takes more marks. Inside 50's are almost identical.

Its a subjective decision, both are playing great footy and the next 8 week will determine who gets in. But right now, its neck and neck.

wtf are you on about. You're making out like Gawn has been sh*t.

No, I'm not, I've said he's been playing good footy twice now, if you comprehensively took the time to understand what I was saying you'd gather that due to the game Gawn has missed and his early start of the season, I put Goldstein at a few games ahead of him for the contention of AA.

And don't discount the clearance numbers either, his groundwork has been excellent.

And yes, it is a subjective decision and I place Goldstein ahead as it stands, the upcoming Melbourne game will be a good deciding factor.

No, I'm not, I've said he's been playing good footy twice now, if you comprehensively took the time to understand what I was saying you'd gather that due to the game Gawn has missed and his early start of the season, I put Goldstein at a few games ahead of him for the contention of AA.

And don't discount the clearance numbers either, his groundwork has been excellent.

And yes, it is a subjective decision and I place Goldstein ahead as it stands, the upcoming Melbourne game will be a good deciding factor.
you said it wasn't up for debate and that Gawn has only just started to be good consistently. I showed you how good Gawn was in Rounds 2-5.

It is up for debate, Goldy is not a few games ahead of Gawn and the game against each other wont be the decider. What will decide it, is the next 8 weeks.

Your initial comment was: If he's not the All-Australian ruck this year, I will seriously be asking questions of those involved and the media at large. I pointed out that there was still half the season to go, and you tried to say it didn't matter. Well, it does. Hopefully at the end of the year, Goldy will still be right up there contending for a spot. If he gets it or not, pfft I couldn't care less. But if he is in contention then hes had a great season. Hopefully we have a few others with him and we've come storming home in the second half the season, a la Richmond, on our way to a flag.

you said it wasn't up for debate and that Gawn has only just started to be good consistently. I showed you how good Gawn was in Rounds 2-5.

It is up for debate, Goldy is not a few games ahead of Gawn and the game against each other wont be the decider. What will decide it, is the next 8 weeks.

Your initial comment was: If he's not the All-Australian ruck this year, I will seriously be asking questions of those involved and the media at large. I pointed out that there was still half the season to go, and you tried to say it didn't matter. Well, it does. Hopefully at the end of the year, Goldy will still be right up there contending for a spot. If he gets it or not, pfft I couldn't care less. But if he is in contention then hes had a great season. Hopefully we have a few others with him and we've come storming home in the second half the season, a la Richmond, on our way to a flag.

K.

Gawn’s 11 disposal game followed a 13 disposal game.

Gawn’s lowest disposal game was followed by an even lower disposal game. Goldy followed his 8 disposal game with a 19 disposal game in 80% game time.

Gawn’s 11 disposal game followed a 13 disposal game.

Gawn’s lowest disposal game was followed by an even lower disposal game. Goldy followed his 8 disposal game with a 19 disposal game in 80% game time.
Goldys lowest disposal game of 14 was followed by an even lower disposal game of 8!

Stats are great!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As things stand right now, I think Goldy deserves the nod over Gawn. However, we play the Demons in a week. That will be interesting. Gawn has literally towelled up Todd on each occasion since 2016. Goldy needs to turn that around in R11.

Since Todd kicked 5 goals on Gawn in 2016? They've only played against each other twice since then.

Gawn had his way in the Ruck that day too, Goldy did the damage around the ground though. Gawn is just a bad match up for Goldy. Grundy is yet to do any damage against Goldy.

I'd have thought that to be named AA ruckman, you should be rucking all round the ground, don't see Maxy taking too many ruck contests forward of centre and plays that chop out mark as an extra defender.

I reckon if any of theses jokers were told to shadow Goldy all over the ground, they'd be off the bit by 3QT.

Matthew Lloyd just acknowledged Todd's season but also people not noticing because of how crap we have been. Shaun Higgins talked him up. Thanks god someone is!

Hopefully when Higgo retires and starts working in the media , he’ll stick up for our club.

Although I think we stress over these things a little too much on this Board, I do share the frustration of non-recognition of our elite performers. Goldy is the perfect example at present. But the tide seems to be turning as more in the media are catching on.

Here's how I think it will go down. Our game against Melbourne on Sunday will go a long way toward locking in AA rucks. If Gawn clearly beats Goldy, the AA rucks will be Gawn and NicNat unless the latter falls over for the rest of the year. If they break about even, the AA rucks will be Gawn and either Goldy or NicNat, probably determined by what happens in our game against WCE. If Goldy beats Gawn, it will probably be the two of them, unless one falls off a cliff in the following weeks and NicNat (or maybe Grundy, who is now well behind) has a great second half of the season.

I'm not saying this as someone who believes the NicNat hype, but rather as someone who knows and accepts that the NicNat hype exists and influences clowns.

Geelong takes on Todd Goldstein for the first time since trying to poach the North Melbourne ruckman

Jay Clark, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

August 4, 2020 3:41pm

Geelong made a late trade play for Todd Goldstein last year but couldn’t sway the North Melbourne ruckman to leave. And the Cats will get a close up look at what they missed out on.

It was the late-breaking free agency move which would have solved Geelong’s biggest headache.
When the Cats came with a late rush for North Melbourne veteran Todd Goldstein late last season two things became clear.

Geelong was unsure how much it could trust Rhys Stanley in the ruck and clearly, coach Chris Scott would prefer Mark Blicavs to stay at home as a key defender.

And now, about 10 months after Geelong’s unsuccessful chase for the Kangaroos’ No.1 ruckman, these old wounds are again being exposed.

Goldstein is having one of his best-ever seasons and is a leading All-Australian candidate while the Cats are being cut up in the centre square.

Remarkably, Geelong has conceded the most points from centre clearances in the competition and rank second-last for score differential (-6.6 points) from centre clearances, according to Champion Data.

In a nutshell, they’re coughing up too many goals out of the guts.

Former Fremantle and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said “Chris Scott, at the minute, has a problem in there.”

“They don’t want to see it going back to the middle against anyone, with respect,” Lyon said on Triple M.

“That is the area they need to fix because they have got everything else going really well.”

On Saturday night, the Cats conceded another three goals from centre square bounces as West Coast superstar Nic Naitanui dominated the air in one of his most commanding performances in years.

On Wednesday night, another tough challenge awaits at the Gabba.

Geelong will face Goldstein for the first time since he turned down their offer to become the missing piece of their premiership puzzle.

Incredibly, the hard-running big man leads the entire AFL competition for clearances (60), underlining the incredible influence he is having at ground level.
Scott said on Tuesday the ruck was a crucial part of the game.

“There’s some good ones out there and we really respect Goldstein, too,” Scott said.

But he would have spent the best part of the past week trying to tighten the Cats’ centre square setups.

While Geelong can still score heavily from the back half and off turnover, it is unacceptable for a premiership contender to be leaking so many goals from the restart.

Without inspirational captain Joel Selwood, who is injured with a hamstring issue, it has become clear the Cats are vulnerable here.

It helps explain why Scott’s men could also make a strong move for Adelaide free agent Brad Crouch at season’s end, as a long-term Selwood replacement.

GWS Giants’ free agent Jeremy Cameron also has a decision to make.

If he's not the All-Australian ruck this year, I would encourage the club and fans to seriously be asking questions of those involved and the media at large; because it is not up for debate as good as anyone thinks Gawn, Nic Nat or Grundy are going. Goldstein is undeniably having a career-best year in probably almost all aspects and he needs to be rewarded and recognised for it.
Won’t happen Goldstein played s**t tonight against non ruckman and as North supporters we can moan and groan the AA has already picked Goldstein won’t be picked Gawn and Nic Nat will be the rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back