Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
From Ralph via twitter

Attachments

• D8VMMg3UIAAI5L-.jpeg
    D8VMMg3UIAAI5L-.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 184
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Relax everybody.

Terry Tan has put a stop to it!

Wallace’s concerns with Saints’ reported Goldstein chase

By SEN

Terry Wallace can’t see how veteran North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein would fit in at St Kilda, amid reported interest in the soon-to-be free agent. Goldstein, 30, is being monitored by the Saints who are looking to bolster its ruck stocks to support up-and-coming big man Rowan Marshall.

With the likes of Marshall, Tim Membrey, Josh Bruce, Max King and Paddy McCartin already on its books, Wallace says St Kilda would run the risk of becoming too top-heavy if they acquire the 2015 All-Australian. “I thought they’ve actually found their ruckman for the future. I think Rowan Marshall is really starting to grow and evolve as a player,” the AFL Hall of Famer told SEN Afternoons. “I can only think that St Kilda are looking to play tandem rucks … but how are they going to fit everyone in? “How would they be able to have Goldstein as their No.1 ruckman, have Rowan Marshall as your forward/ruck, then have (Tim) Membrey and (Josh) Bruce, who are the two key forwards at the moment? “You’re trying to bring Max King into the line-up in the next 12 months, and that’s not even accounting for Paddy McCartin. “There’s too many to be able to service.” Goldstein has played 223 games across a 13-year career with the Roos.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I was one of the vocal opponents of trading Preuss ahead of Goldstein.

Well, while Melbourne do have Gawn and that's a big factor - Preuss has played 2 AFL games this year and the last month in the VFL.

Finding a really good ruckman isn't as easy as people think.

If allowing Todd free passage was almost certainly getting us say pick #3 (say if he was as good as James Frawley and we were as shite as the 2014 demons..) then sure, I'd be listening.

But this isn't going to happen. The reward on offer is nowhere near enough to actively encourage this situation.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I was one of the vocal opponents of trading Preuss ahead of Goldstein.

Well, while Melbourne do have Gawn and that's a big factor - Preuss has played 2 AFL games this year and the last month in the VFL.

Finding a really good ruckman isn't as easy as people think.

If allowing Todd free passage was almost certainly getting us say pick #3 (say if he was as good as James Frawley and we were as shite as the 2014 demons..) then sure, I'd be listening.

But this isn't going to happen. The reward on offer is nowhere near enough to actively encourage this situation.

It's a salary cap pressure stunt.

StKilda doesn't want us getting a march on them again this year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Relax everybody.

Terry Tan has put a stop to it!

Wallace’s concerns with Saints’ reported Goldstein chase

By SEN

Terry Wallace can’t see how veteran North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein would fit in at St Kilda, amid reported interest in the soon-to-be free agent. Goldstein, 30, is being monitored by the Saints who are looking to bolster its ruck stocks to support up-and-coming big man Rowan Marshall.

With the likes of Marshall, Tim Membrey, Josh Bruce, Max King and Paddy McCartin already on its books, Wallace says St Kilda would run the risk of becoming too top-heavy if they acquire the 2015 All-Australian. “I thought they’ve actually found their ruckman for the future. I think Rowan Marshall is really starting to grow and evolve as a player,” the AFL Hall of Famer told SEN Afternoons. “I can only think that St Kilda are looking to play tandem rucks … but how are they going to fit everyone in? “How would they be able to have Goldstein as their No.1 ruckman, have Rowan Marshall as your forward/ruck, then have (Tim) Membrey and (Josh) Bruce, who are the two key forwards at the moment? “You’re trying to bring Max King into the line-up in the next 12 months, and that’s not even accounting for Paddy McCartin. “There’s too many to be able to service.” Goldstein has played 223 games across a 13-year career with the Roos.

Crikey this will just make St Kilda chase him even harder. They've recently adopted a George Costanza-like "do the opposite of every Terry Wallace decision" strategy.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Then we get him and someone else.

Goldstein is going ok, but is not the future.

he'll also be a lot cheaper than he was previously.

what do you propose instead? get a speccy pick as compo that probably won't amount to much? or try and trade in another ruckman that we'll have to pay overs for? the only ruckman better than goldy are gawn, grundy and possibly lycett - the rest of them are equal or worse.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this Goldstein's manager playing funny buggers?

Goldstein has been good lately. Is he one of those 'contract on the line, time to pull the finger out' types of players?

If so, no need to rush the contract. A dawdling Goldstein is worth nothing to the team. We've seen that.

Let him keep playing for his contract. One-year contracts.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this Goldstein's manager playing funny buggers?

Goldstein has been good lately. Is he one of those 'contract on the line, time to pull the finger out' types of players?

If so, no need to rush the contract. A dawdling Goldstein is worth nothing to the team. We've seen that.

Let him keep playing for his contract. One-year contracts.

Yep.Goldy has hit form when it most matters, the last year of his contract. Perceived rival interest gives his management leverage in contract negotiations.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
what do you propose instead? .

Dunno as I'm not sure who is available.

I think we should continue to prioritise building a quality, fast midfield.

I'm happy to keep him on a cheaper contract, but wouldn't fuss me at all if left

People have short memories. He's been very ordinary last couple of years overall.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dunno as I'm not sure who is available.

I think we should continue to prioritise building a quality, fast midfield.

I'm happy to keep him on a cheaper contract, but wouldn't fuss me at all if left

People have short memories. He's been very ordinary last couple of years overall.
was still solid last year, this year has been even better.

i think you've forgotten that he was AA in 2015, half of 2016 until his injuries. 2017 was a write off due to off-field issues and he was back in form in 2018, that's only about a season and a half of ordinary form - and most of that not due to injuries.

fast midfielders are good but goldy has been dishing up silver service to our mids in the last few weeks, was a major reason for the midfield domination and wins.

AdmiralBenson

All Australian
May 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i think you've forgotten that he was AA in 2015

the last few weeks, was a major reason for the midfield domination and wins.

2015 is 4 years ago.

Played against 2 teams without an AFL standard ruckman. He should have dominated.

As previous I'm happy to keep him. But there is no rush whatsoever to extend.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2015 is 4 years ago.

Played against 2 teams without an AzfL standard ruckman. He should have dominated.

i love how you pick and choose what to reply to to suit your narrative, very much like a a polly.

he had a good 2018 and has had a great 2019 - also has a great tank that gives flexibility with other players and rotations.

From Ralph via twitter

He's got attractive offers from rival parties - or he's certainly got interest from rival parties

Or in other words, I'm just making shyte up.

2015 is 4 years ago.

Played against 2 teams without an AFL standard ruckman. He should have dominated.

As previous I'm happy to keep him. But there is no rush whatsoever to extend.

Dominated like 28 possessions 7 marks and 57 hit outs?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
This rubbish is based upon the comments of a sacked coach:

"The Kangas are undertaking “a strategic shift,” as former coach Brad Scott put it."

One of the better space cadets on the Richmond board has the "inside word" that Cunnington is off to Tigerland next year.

Oh, I've gotta go and read this.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I don't think it's newsworthy that list management decisions probably aren't going to be made while we're reviewing the football department and don't have a coach.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
But we want you to come back alive.

It's ok my little cynical one, I only went to read it.

The bloke on the podcast thinks they've got Kreuzer and one of Cunners/Gaff/B Crouch. I have no words.

Back