Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Goldy was fantastic yesterday.

His display made even better considering, according to the commentary he was playing against the second coming of Christ, who hasn't had a kick for 3 years and was playing in the SANFL last year

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2020 is made for Goldstein with shorter quarter. He can now play 100% all the way through. If Larkey is around, then he can chop out a bit.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is literally like a tall midfielder at times, its nuts.
Word is that De Boer lost his way when coach Cameron told him to tag North's most damaging midfielder but the poor fella's never tagged a ruckman before.
100% TOG, 9 clearances, 51 hit outs, and the match turning goal. Rowell = Rising Star. Goldy = Evergreen Star.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Todd has always had good forward craft to go with his ruckwork (you don't kick 2x bags of 5 in your career without it) and showed in 2015 he can stand up and take strong contested marks too.

But against GWS, he looked more explosive and powerful than I've ever seen him.

Generally I think a peak Corey would just plough through him (Corey burst through plenty of taller opponents) but this version of Goldie, hmm not so sure.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
But against GWS, he looked more explosive and powerful than I've ever seen him.

I dunno if others noticed this, but I saw a look of determination on Todd's face in the 3rd quarter that I don't remember seeing before.

It was as if he was completely focused on imposing himself on the game and halting the GWS momentum...............and he did.

He took the responsibility upon himself, which is a trait of all top line senior players. It was a real leadership moment for me.

Put $40 on @ $501 late last night.

Being offered $90 to cash out. He’s in to $101.

The point where I’m offered $1,000, I’m taking it.

I turned $50 into $6300 cash out in 2015 on Goldy - high risk high reward

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does he get the 3 votes Sunday?

Higgins Polec Simpkin Tarrant all have claims IMO. Certainly seems like Goldy got the lions share of the media hype though
3 votes: S. Coniglio

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I dunno if others noticed this, but I saw a look of determination on Todd's face in the 3rd quarter that I don't remember seeing before.

It was as if he was completely focused on imposing himself on the game and halting the GWS momentum...............and he did.

He took the responsibility upon himself, which is a trait of all top line senior players. It was a real leadership moment for me.
Yep, noticed that too SB. In a recent interview too it was clear that he wants to reclaim the mantle as one of the top rucks in the league. I guess he has realised that the short quarters play into his hands perfectly and he is in great physical shape. Seems have an even stronger intent than previous years.

I've always been a fanboy of Goldy, only with subtle, nagging questions regarding his physicality, but this has become a noted part of his game in the first 2 rounds, bit like with Polec. I loved when Goldy got hit hard in a clash and while the Giants bloke was still on the ground, Todd was back up and contesting the next ruck contest. Kudos to him. This could well become a legacy year in placing him among the North ruck greats.

Last edited:

Senior List
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These short quarters are made for Goldy. So good that he can play the entire game without dropping off - it allows North to pick another non-ruck player in the 22. He flew under the radar last year, having a solid but not peak-Goldy year. Last game was a regular 2015 game for Goldy, if he can keep producing like this, he is easily a top 3 ruckmen in the game and on his day can outplay Gawn or Grundy.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The harsh reality that we must face as a club is this, our best chance at winning a premiership involves a ruckman on Grand Final day like Goldstein, we're gonna have to make it there with him to really have a shot.

Players like him will be the difference, and a quality ruckman like him comes around once in a generation if you're lucky.

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I remember, he had sweat pouring into his eyes but his face looked like murder

Back