Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If Goldy took the Geelong offer he would be playing in a GF this year and would probably win it given what he is producing.

As for us carrying 14 players a week - its culture - happened under the Scott era and is happening now.

Strong sides drop blokes for non performance - we pat them on the back and say you tried hard there is always next week.

It doesn't matter if the replacement players are young - you must have a culture that repeated poor efforts will see you out of the team.
starts with the list mate, you cant replace 14 jouneymen if the rest of the list are journeymen.

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
good summary, i would prolly add zurhaar and thomas on potential and Larkey whos injured, then the rest would all be on the table.

with regards to goldy, his current form only adds to why everyone as so frustrated then he was in the slump, iam hoping BBB is capable of returning to his better form days, somethings amis at the moment, he cant read the ball in flight at all. not saying he has exactly had silver service but he has made a meal of his fair share of entries that were fine.

Maybe BB is going to the same optometrist Corey McKernan went to late in his career

For those that way inclined to have a bet, Todd is currently paying $41 for the Brownlow

He has had 20 games in his career prior to this year with 6 clearances or more for a total of 29 Brownlow votes.

In 6 games this year he has had 5 games with 6 or more clearances, 6 once, 7 once and 9 three times

He has had 9 3 times, over his career when he gets 9 clearances he has received 3 votes, 2 votes and 0 votes in the 3 games

If you take out the games where he got 6 clearances and only go 7 or more he has had 10 matches where he has done this and received 18 Brownlow votes

In summary, I'm loading up

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
For those that way inclined to have a bet, Todd is currently paying $41 for the Brownlow

He has had 20 games in his career prior to this year with 6 clearances or more for a total of 29 Brownlow votes.

In 6 games this year he has had 5 games with 6 or more clearances, 6 once, 7 once and 9 three times

He has had 9 3 times, over his career when he gets 9 clearances he has received 3 votes, 2 votes and 0 votes in the 3 games

If you take out the games where he got 6 clearances and only go 7 or more he has had 10 matches where he has done this and received 18 Brownlow votes

In summary, I'm loading up

He’s still $101 on SportsBet.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Yep I realised just after loading up on Bet Easy :(

Brodie Grundy is $19.

Gawn at $34.

Some others with better odds: Billings and Coniglio both at $51, Josh Kelly at $41, Mitchell at $34.

Hilarious really.

He’s sitting top five in the coaches votes. At worst he should be level odds with Grundy.

Put him in a Pies jumper and he’d be close to favourite.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Likely to break Sandilands all time VFL/AFL hitouts record in the middle of next year.

In less game too, not bad considering he's played a full season in reduced game time as well.

It's frightening what his career might've looked like if he'd landed in a Sydney, Geelong or Hawthorn structure at the "right" time from his own selfish perspective.
I called it at the bushfire charity match that those few days in camp we’re gonna do wonders for him. Smart man is Todd.
Not only was he fit and rucking for the games best, he got to understand the movement and positions of the games best movers too.
No coincidence his clearance numbers have skyrocketed also.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I called it at the bushfire charity match that those few days in camp we’re gonna do wonders for him. Smart man is Todd.
Not only was he fit and rucking for the games best, he got to understand the movement and positions of the games best movers too.
No coincidence his clearance numbers have skyrocketed also.

For one crazy week he played Carnegie Hall, drank with world leaders and partied with supermodels.

Then he returned to his regular gig of singing on a mobility scooter at Flinders Street Station.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are they using different methods to count clearances this year? the top ruckmen are all getting good numbers, none are at Goldy's level of course.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
If Goldy took the Geelong offer he would be playing in a GF this year and would probably win it given what he is producing.

Was thinking about this and it struck me that one of the benefits of Goldie staying was the torture we'd have endured wondering about the 'path not taken'.

Imagine this scenario.

Goldie gets the Geelong offer. North learn the compensation pick is #28 arming us with 3 picks inside 30 before trading commences. Very reluctantly we don't offer a competitive deal with the idea of refreshing the list albeit via an extra 2nd rounder and the additional trade currency 2x 2nd rounders might carry.

Goldie hits 2020 in the exact form he's displayed so far, forming an almost unbeatable unit with Dangerfield and Selwood. Everything he always threatened to be is now realised in a fully functioning team.

Meanwhile we endure a string of last quarter comeback battling losses. Pretty soon the forum eats itself wondering how we'd have looked with the 2020 Goldstein in the side. Delusions of top 3 and beyond in a parallel world where he had stayed abound.

I'd rather our current reality. We have a white hot Goldstein and are still s**t. But at least we know. The speculation and anguish from "what could've been?" in the above scenario would be worse.

Was thinking about this and it struck me that one of the benefits of Goldie staying was the torture we'd have endured wondering about the 'path not taken'.

Imagine this scenario.

Goldie gets the Geelong offer. North learn the compensation pick is #28 arming us with 3 picks inside 30 before trading commences. Very reluctantly we don't offer a competitive deal with the idea of refreshing the list albeit via an extra 2nd rounder and the additional trade currency 2x 2nd rounders might carry.

Goldie hits 2020 in the exact form he's displayed so far, forming an almost unbeatable unit with Dangerfield and Selwood. Everything he always threatened to be is now realised in a fully functioning team.

Meanwhile we endure a string of last quarter comeback battling losses. Pretty soon the forum eats itself wondering how we'd have looked with the 2020 Goldstein in the side. Delusions of top 3 and beyond in a parallel world where he had stayed abound.

I'd rather our current reality. We have a white hot Goldstein and are still sh*t. But att least we know. The speculation and anguish from "what could've been?" in the above scenario would be worse.
Without Goldy we'd likely be 0-6 with most of them being drubbing, no last quarter comebacks, squarely holding up the ladder.

I mean the bloke is in AA type form and we're in 16th.

Without him we'd be completely forked.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Without Goldy we'd likely be 0-6 with most of them being drubbing, no last quarter comebacks, squarely holding up the ladder.

I mean the bloke is in AA type form and we're in 16th.

Without him we'd be completely forked.

That's a more tolerable hypothetical though. In some way we'd have expected that was a possible outcome without a key senior player.

If we were to be thereabouts and he was off lighting it up in Boganvillea it would've been far more excrutiating imo.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Imagine this scenario.

I'd rather our current reality. We have a white hot Goldstein and are still sh*t. But at least we know. The speculation and anguish from "what could've been?" in the above scenario would be worse.

Todd might well join the likes of Drew, Spud, Scooter & Taz that deserve a flag but won't ever realize it 😕

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Imagine this scenario.

I'd rather our current reality. We have a white hot Goldstein and are still sh*t. But at least we know. The speculation and anguish from "what could've been?" in the above scenario would be worse.
I agree with that - losing Goldie for a pick 30 was never a good scenario for us and we are all glad he stayed.

I think he will be also glad he stayed this time next year when he will get a better midfield comprising Jy, LDU and TT with Cunners supplying the grunt!

Just checking out Goldies' stats on AFL tables and I see those numbers are all career highs.

Modern day champion that deserves more than the lip service begrudgingly offered by the media "experts".

He'd have to fall off a cliff not to land his second Syd.

Nov 29, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Capitals
Rocking the career high’s in the shortened quarters of all the times to do. Hopefully we can start winning a few more games so he gets more of plaudits he is deserving of right now.

Back