Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Resign one of the top ruckmen (with a heap of other attributes), and the wisdom of this is being doubted?

fu**en idiots abound.

The wisdom of resigning a guy of his ability and quality is not being doubted, but we do our regular thing that we've done in our truly successful last 20 years in just running our decent players into the ground.

Todd actually owed us from his last contract, he was the highest paid player in North history not named Wayne Carey, I know that for a fact.

There is no way his performances warranted that contract in 2017 & 2018, he then ran this contract renewal to basically deadline day with the threat of FA to a contender.

You can do all the backslapping you like, but I'd be happier if Todd just re-signed 4 months ago, he's no doubt got a nice little payday again from getting Geelong involved.

I don't really give a s**t about his personal circumstances (which were all self imposed) when he's absorbing circa $900k a season at one point from our TPP.

People seem to be overlooking that fact he got dropped at one point during this contract for our young backup that we were happy to basically give away, who was contracted at the time, which forced us into a corner the very next season because we probably didn't have an able replacement if we were to maneuver him for any trade value.

Absolutely shithouse list management.

Last edited:
Earlier you claimed Goldy would be 24 in 2022. The unrelated matters refers to the joy you and a few others seemingly have for putting people with alternative views to your own on ignore, like its some sort of badge of honour. I find it all a bit weird, I won't lie.

I respect your opinion and despite the fact that we tend to have differing views on most things, I would never put you on ignore as I might miss some occasional gold.

Our posts may not contribute to club strategies (if we have one) but I'm convinced it contributes to the reporting - there is too much evidence to the contrary to suggest the journos don't read these threads, and write articles based on our mostly incoherent ramblings.

Oblique (nice word, had to look it up) reference? The Ziebs mentions him in ever 2nd post. As for Rad Roo, he is a Richmond supporter who outted himself a few weeks back when he referred to North as them instead of US.

I apologise for being a bit militant and dispassionate, but I can assure you I'm only interested in building our next dynasty, whatever the cost may be to our near term results.

Let's just clarify a couple of your points there.

24 was a typo, which generated a bit of mirth for Firestarter and gokangas. Since corrected. And we would hardly be having a conversation about age and length of contract if he was 21 now. In fact we would be saying 3 years is far to short for a ruckman of Goldy's calibre.

(And as far as "counting" is concerned, in terms of age I might just be able to count quite a bit further than 34.)

In nearly 18 years of posting here I have never once put anyone on ignore, nor said I would put someone on ignore, so you are barking up the wrong tree with that idea.

I dont agree with this contract. Is Goldy a clubman, 100% and he should finish with us BUT it should have been on 1 year deals to see out his fantastic career. Look at Stefan Martin who is at the same time in his career, signed a 1 year deal and is ecstatic to do so. If Goldy was so hell bent on putting on the white and blue he would have been happy to sign one year deals until his retirement. Anyone know his salary? If its anywhere above 600k thats just rubbish.

I dont agree with this contract. Is Goldy a clubman, 100% and he should finish with us BUT it should have been on 1 year deals to see out his fantastic career. Look at Stefan Martin who is at the same time in his career, signed a 1 year deal and is ecstatic to do so. If Goldy was so hell bent on putting on the white and blue he would have been happy to sign one year deals until his retirement. Anyone know his salary? If its anywhere above 600k thats just rubbish.

Exactly this.

Are Goldstein and Higgins more deserving of the 1 year deals that Boomer and Petrie had to cop year after year during their 30's as club policy?

Club policy has obviously changed regarding 30+ year old contracts.

I am quite a bit uglier. As in, comparing Daniel Craig to Steve Buscemi.

I do appreciate the opportunity to make others feel better by saying I am a piece of gutter trash.

You've clearly never laid eyes on me then, Firestarter. May make you feel much better when it comes to self-appraisal.

You've clearly never laid eyes on me then, Firestarter. May make you feel much better when it comes to self-appraisal.

Unusual exchange for bigfooty.

We normally have a high percentage of posters with elite MMA, Olympic weightlifting and bodybuilding backgrounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unusual exchange for bigfooty.

We normally have a high percentage of posters with elite MMA, Olympic weightlifting and bodybuilding backgrounds.

Oh not a problem for me with the bodybuilding bit. It just accumulates in the wrong place. Off to have a spot of lunch now.

Exactly this.

Are Goldstein and Higgins more deserving of the 1 year deals that Boomer and Petrie had to cop year after year during their 30's as club policy?

Different people making decisions, there is every chance policy will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we'd want to make the most of the the next two years.

I'd say he'll start to slow in his last season.
Then so be it, his knowledge and expertise is everything to Xerri who will take his spot.. Campbell is a spud and simply a back up if things go pear shaped for goldy. So even if Goldy isnt in our best 22 in his final year im sure he’ll have a positive impact on our future

Exactly this.

Boomer was unlucky and treated poorly by brad, Petrie was done at the end of his contract

Then so be it, his knowledge and expertise is everything to Xerri who will take his spot.. Campbell is a spud and simply a back up if things go pear shaped for goldy. So even if Goldy isnt in our best 22 in his final year im sure he’ll have a positive impact on our future

In which case they can hire him as a coach and not pay him as a player, im reading so many posts like this and its rubbish.

I could assume you're basing this off an imaginary salary when no one on this site is officially privy to such information.

Im not even talking about his salary, those saying if hes not upto it in his last year or his second year he can add value in the vfl or teaching the rucks their craft thats absolute baloney. Its 100% more beneficial to not have him in the player salary cap and move him into department spending for obvious reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back