Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say this, Goldy did more for our club than Saunders ever did.
Can discuss facts if required:)
Questionable. Even if Saunders wasn't there as much as he should have been (something that was agreed upon with the club given his other ventures), he provided money for the club and a low injury record. Goldy also took a handsome salary but didn't didn't do much in return other than go through the motions.

As I've said before...it's very easy for people to sink the boot into people when they're gone. This board has done a fair job of impersonating broken-hearted teen girls with regards to Scott, Joyce, Saunders, and co. The "yeah but what have you done for me lately?" is often applied to anyone and everyone. How quickly we forget...

It must have been Saunders taking that mark against Geelong in that final.

Here I was thinking it was Goldy.
Unsurprising that the poster often referred to as 'mrs goldstein' is in here making ridiculous claims.

North had the lowest incidence of soft tissue injuries in the league during his time at North (and it wasn't even close to the next best). His job was keeping players healthy to allow our team to have the best chance possible. He did that well. That's why Jonathon Brown and Fevola would take later flights back to Brisbane - Just to spend time with Steve. That's why Kangatech is used at multiple AFL clubs as well as NBA, NHL, EPL, and international level teams. Laying the boots in years after he has left is strange. Kangatime levels of "but what about foot injuries and collision injuries - why couldn't he solve them!!!" :drunk:

Cherry-picking 1 mark in 2014 does little. Getting defensive and making stupid comments does little as well. For 4 years of game-day threads, all you've done is white knight Goldstein and deflect by putting down other plays like Higgins, Garner, and LMac in some poor attempt to create balance :drunk:

Garner? You mean the player that’s played 9 games in two years. Good luck trying to find me incessantly bagging him. Maybe go through the 2018 game day threads to find an example.

Interesting that you mention him though considering how little he played when Saunders was at the club.

Garner? You mean the player that’s played 9 games in two years. Good luck trying to find me incessantly bagging him. Maybe go through the 2018 game day threads to find an example.

Interesting that you mention him though considering how little he played when Saunders was at the club.
Damn that blasted health professional. Why couldn't he cure soft tissue injuries for good!

afl-average-jpg.495030

I could say the same about you. 12 years of ad hominem attacks. Same white knighting over and over and over.

You’ve only been a member for 2 years, so what’s your other profile name?

I don't have one. Are you suggesting once upon a time you were a pleasant poster...:drunk:

Highly unlikely!

I am to people who aren’t halfwits.

Position - hardly a shining light. Gawn has been the standout by a long way. Grundy closing. Goldstein consistent but not a patch on either in recent years. Nakervis and Jacobs dropped off. McEvoy is consistent but basically a poorer Goldstein. Martin, Witts, and Ryder have their moments. Ruck is a tough position and part of the reason why Geelong was more than happy to throw 4 years in front of Goldstein.
I think you have a point re 'by club' and overall league, but to diminish Goldstein's output by rubbishing others is somewhat self-defeating. All you've done is to reinforce that he's a top 3 ruckman which you acknowledge is a tough position. Your argument seems to be that if he's not number 1, he's somehow under-performing. I think you've been hooked into arguing for argument's sake.

But hey. I hopefully he bucks the trend and proves LtK right in his remaining years at North. A good Goldy is great for us all.
I think you're better off leaving it here.

I think you have a point re 'by club' and overall league, but to diminish Goldstein's output by rubbishing others is somewhat self-defeating. All you've done is to reinforce that he's a top 3 ruckman which you acknowledge is a tough position. Your argument seems to be that if he's not number 1, he's somehow under-performing. I think you've been hooked into arguing for argument's sake.

I think you're better off leaving it here.
I wanted to leave it there but of course some posters get mighty defensive if you say the slightest negative thing about a North player.

My argument was posting yearly averages in no way shape or form dispels the theory that Goldstein extracts a digit when it's contract time. That's all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted to leave it there but of course some posters get mighty defensive if you say the slightest negative thing about a North player.
True dat.

My argument was posting yearly averages in no way shape or form dispels the theory that Goldstein extracts a digit when it's contract time. That's all.
'Theory' being the operative word. Clearly, there is evidence either way and I can see both sides. He went through some relationship issues (self-inflicted or otherwise) and associated mental health challenges that affected his form in his 'non-contract' years. IF he 'extracted the digit' at the back end of his contract to get a better deal, like you, I don't necessarily have a problem with the motivation. That said, like you, I'd like to see Todd perform even better over the next few years - that is, at the top of his game more often - because when he's on, he's brilliant.

Well the proof will be in the pudding.

If Goldie comes out next year 'playing within himself' - rather than extracting the digit like he did in the PA game - then we will all be very clear about his motivations.

If he comes out hard on a week in week out basis and shows he wants to regain his mantle as the equal of the best rucks in the game then we can all put to rest the 'Goldie only plays well in his contract year' talk.

Right now I am not sure which way it goes but I am looking forward to seeing how Goldie performs next year - playing within himself he is still a valuable player - extracting the digit like the PA game shows he can be a weapon to ensure we play deep into finals next year.

If Goldie comes out next year 'playing within himself' - rather than extracting the digit like he did in the PA game - then we will all be very clear about his motivations.

If he comes out hard on a week in week out basis and shows he wants to regain his mantle as the equal of the best rucks in the game then we can all put to rest the 'Goldie only plays well in his contract year' talk.

Right now I am not sure which way it goes but I am looking forward to seeing how Goldie performs next year - playing within himself he is still a valuable player - extracting the digit like the PA game shows he can be a weapon to ensure we play deep into finals next year.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

I honestly don’t think we would lose much by having Campbell in over goldy

Would like Campbell to play preseason games instead of goldy to test this

End of the day if the choice was cave and give him 3 years instead of 2 or let him go I would have let him go and taken the compo
I think that would have eaten into Cunnington's influence in the centre as well as throw ins .
This is the reason why I think the club bIinked. Goldstein's ability to palm the pill is what he does best.....
I must admit I did laugh when DR mentioned that one mark against Geelong.
There weren't really that many telling marks , one could come back equally with telling dropped marks to counter them....oh well apples and oranges I guess.
He has his admirers and there are many that think he's been an honest player at best.
He's not a physical type of player.
Could his average marks per game be better ? I would like it to be, yes.
He has a high percentage of game time as a ruck.
He has a low percentage of games missed due to injury.
He knocked back a 4yr deal and arguably a chance of a flag.
He'll be seen as a one club player in the history books.

It doesn't need to be put to rest because it's ******* horseshit. There is no basis for the theory. zilch, nada, none!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back