Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Todd Goldstein Syd Barker Medal History:

2015: Winner (Contract year)
2016: 11th
2017: 15th :drunk:
2018: 7th
2019: =3rd (Contract year)

The Theory of Goldstein.

1570307919414.png

The Theory of Goldstein.

View attachment 759404

He started in 2008.

Selective use of stats? That would never pass the technical rigour standards you tend to bang on about in relation to your research. Certainly wouldn't get through peer review.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So he jumped 8 spots in a non contract year and then only 3 in a contract year.

Hmmm
That's the:

"I've got more leverage if I put in more than a season's worth of effort in. Plus it's enough for them to only get a backup ruck instead of thinking about a replacement"

BRB putting $500 on Goldy to finish top 3 in the syd for 2022.

He's currently the second best tap ruckman, and arguably the second most influential ruckman in the league.

Grundy gets a tad over-hyped by the possession count.
Grundy's a wrecking ball. He's bloody good and rightly regarded as the best in the biz.

Gawn is a harder matchup for Goldy but I'd take Grundy ahead of him any day.

The Theory of Goldstein.

View attachment 759404

So the theory of Goldstein is that barring injury and serious personal issues he's a top 10 and often top 5 player.

Nice theory.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the theory of Goldstein is that barring injury and serious personal issues he's a top 10 and often top 5 player.

Nice theory.
No, that's your excuse based theory.

"serious personal issues" that were more or less self-inflicted. He can do whatever he wants and it's his private stuff but I know I won't give him any sympathy just because he's a North player. I don't excuse people for that and then let the fallout impact their performance and the teams when on 800k a year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
"serious personal issues" that were more or less self-inflicted. He can do whatever he wants and it's his private stuff but I know I won't give him any sympathy just because he's a North player. I don't excuse people for that and then let the fallout impact their performance and the teams when on 800k a year.

There probably is a slightly blurry line between some of the causes and effects in this case.

However that's just humanity and all its inherent flaws.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There probably is a slightly blurry line between some of the causes and effects in this case.

However that's just humanity and all its inherent flaws.
Of course. We are all humans and if it was Todd the non-footballer = fair enough.

But Todd the extremely well-paid athlete - different story.

If you're paid 800k a year and shoot yourself in the dick in your spare time. Then let that affect (Kimbo might be reading :drunk:) your performance for 2 years, I'm still going to say you're a dickhead for shooting yourself in the dick.

Everyone else is patting Goldstein's head saying "there there, it's not your fault you shot yourself in the dick"

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course. We are all humans and if it was Todd the non-footballer = fair enough.

But Todd the extremely well-paid athlete - different story.

If you're paid 800k a year and shoot yourself in the dick in your spare time. Then let that affect (Kimbo might be reading :drunk:) your performance for 2 years, I'm still going to say you're a dickhead for shooting yourself in the dick.

Everyone else is patting Goldstein's head saying "there there, it's not your fault you shot yourself in the dick"
Eh. While I kind of agree, you also have to take into account that Brad took the wrong approach by 'backing him in' for FAR too long when it was clear to all in Sunbury that the man's head wasn't anywhere near a football field (and his skills were even further away!)

And I also think that in this case you can have it both ways. Acknowledge that situation was largely his own doing AND still feel sorry for the guy. As KC said, this s**t is human nature.

Back