Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

In 20 years time, our entire men's & women's team will be filled with Goldsteins!

Trade them all then we can pick up Mumford or Gorringe’s offspring

I was watching the St Kilda game again - and as God is my witness I'll watch it many more times - and the thing that stood out to me was Goldy's physical nick.

He's a supreme athlete and I reckon he's in the best shape of his career. No wonder we signed him for three.

Thing is he's not one of these blokes who required a long long apprenticeship in the twos (Gawn), but nor was he drafted fully formed like say a Grundy (I have my doubts about Grundy's longevity with injury).

Did a season and a half in the two before his first senior game. By his third year delivering games where he kicked bags and got lots of touches, Brownlow votes.

I reckon Todd is going to have a long and successful back end to his career.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I was watching the St Kilda game again - and as God is my witness I'll watch it many more times - and the thing that stood out to me was Goldy's physical nick.

He's a supreme athlete and I reckon he's in the best shape of his career. No wonder we signed him for three.

Thing is he's not one of these blokes who required a long long apprenticeship in the twos (Gawn), but nor was he drafted fully formed like say a Grundy (I have my doubts about Grundy's longevity with injury).

Did a season and a half in the two before his first senior game. By his third year delivering games where he kicked bags and got lots of touches, Brownlow votes.

I reckon Todd is going to have a long and successful back end to his career.

will get another contract after this 3 yr deal is finished - is an endurance beast

I reckon playing in the SOO match did wonders for his game.
Just to be surrounded by elite footballers and having to be an important part of that machine.
It suited him and reminded him what an elite standard is.

He was good in the SOO but having his head together in personal life is clearly the bigger influence.

Brad Scott gets a lot of s**t, but he really handled Goldy's situation - let's be honest, the big fella had a breakdown - perfectly, and we as a club will reap the benefit for years to come.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He was good in the SOO but having his head together in personal life is clearly the bigger influence.

Totally.

Brad Scott gets a lot of s**t, but he really handled Goldy's situation - let's be honest, the big fella had a breakdown - perfectly, and we as a club will reap the benefit for years to come.

Oft repeated, I queried Todd's mental state before it was public a few months later. He looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulder circa 2017-18.

IMO Brad applied "rigid" loyalty rather than change tact and give Todd some time off to recuperate without the pressure.

But it (Brad's motivation) was no doubt from a good place. A similar pattern played out with LT who also expressed he almost hoped he would be dropped at the time and again I'm sure Brad was trying to show support in his own way.

Better that than casting them aside when they're no use to him.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Totally.

Oft repeated, I queried Todd's mental state before it was public a few months later. He looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulder circa 2017-18.

IMO Brad applied "rigid" loyalty rather than change tact and give Todd some time off to recuperate without the pressure.

But it (Brad's motivation) was no doubt from a good place. A similar pattern played out with LT who also expressed he almost hoped he would be dropped at the time and again I'm sure Brad was trying to show support in his own way.

Brad was loyal to a fault.

Totally.

Goldy himself has said that Brad certainly saved his footy career, and hinted that he helped save much more.

I'm watching that Port game from last year, I'm halfway thru right now.

A couple of you have mentioned how much stronger ... or more that he looks in better nick physically.

It seems quite noticeable. I watched R1 again yesterday before I did the votes and then decided to watch thePort game and it is noticeable ... He looks a bit bigger and more physically defined, like he had done more weights or strength work in his upper body. He could be in for a very good year.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm watching that Port game from last year, I'm halfway thru right now.

A couple of you have mentioned how much stronger ... or more that he looks in better nick physically.

It seems quite noticeable. I watched R1 again yesterday before I did the votes and then decided to watch thePort game and it is noticeable ... He looks a bit bigger and more physically defined, like he had done more weights or strength work in his upper body. He could be in for a very good year.

He put on an absolute spifflication of two fairly handy ruck men that day.

The best effort from a North ruck that I have seen since Gary Dempsey obliterated Simon Madden & Crackers in 1980.

He was pretty good last week.

in that game against Port he out bodied Ryder at a boundary throw in from the pocket and snapped a goal, but he didn't seem to have the same physical presence. I think he was primed for a big year. I hope we see some more footy soon cos he'll be good to watch if he holds that form.

He was pretty good last week.

in that game against Port he out bodied Ryder at a boundary throw in from the pocket and snapped a goal, but he didn't seem to have the same physical presence. I think he was primed for a big year. I hope we see some more footy soon cos he'll be good to watch if he holds that form.
Godli plays his best on emotion.
Take Scott’s last game or after being embarrassed by Geelong at KP.
Came out against the Dogs and played a top 5 career game and did the same against Port. Angry Todd is a scary sight for opposition.

Back