Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Screenshot_20200409-194122_Instagram.jpg

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was good in the SOO but having his head together in personal life is clearly the bigger influence.

Brad Scott gets a lot of s**t, but he really handled Goldy's situation - let's be honest, the big fella had a breakdown - perfectly, and we as a club will reap the benefit for years to come.

I actually disagree, at that time his form was diminished so much that that it took a long time to get back. I said at the time and still believe a break from footy would have helped immensely, I think keep playing him did more harm at the time

I actually disagree, at that time his form was diminished so much that that it took a long time to get back. I said at the time and still believe a break from footy would have helped immensely, I think keep playing him did more harm at the time

I'm going off what Todd himself said.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You can only make a judgement on what would have been best for his football form, you can't say what would have been best for his mental health. Not unless you are a mental health practitioner - a psychiatrist or psychologist. And if you held those qualifications, you would know that it is unethical, inappropriate, and entirely unreliable to diagnose a condition or to prescribe treatment without personally examining the patient.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Goldstein fit and firing

"I'm confident I have got a fair bit of footy left in me, and hopefully we can have some success in that time."

1586739632821.png

He’s into his 13th season in the AFL, a feat not many players achieve, but Todd Goldstein is confident he still has plenty of footy left in him.

The North big man signed a new deal last year, taking him through to the end of 2022.

By that time he’ll be 34, but Goldstein says he isn’t setting any limits.

"I am probably feeling as fit as I ever have," Goldstein told The Herald Sun.

"I realise I am going towards the final phase of my career, but I'll keep playing for as long as my body and my mind allows me to play, as you are a long time retired.

"I'm confident I have got a fair bit of footy left in me, and hopefully we can have some success in that time."

Goldstein said he never had any hesitation extending his career at North.

"You see very few players leave North Melbourne,” he said.

"Josh Gibson (Hawthorn) was one of the few, but there haven't been many who have left, other than those who have not been getting a game.

"There is just something about this place.

"Rhyce, Brady (Rawlings) and Jade (Rawlings) have tried to tap into that philosophy and the direction we are going in really excites me.”

Coming off one of the best years in his career, Goldstein is excited for what the future holds.

"We do have a fairly good list profile in terms of age, there are only a few of us who are over 30,” he said.

"Rhyce has been very clear in his messaging. He wants us to be successful, that's the goal and that's why we are working so hard to make that happen."

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's a bit one-eyed, mate. Grundy and Gawn were both ahead of him the last two seasons.

He seems ready to overtake both again, though.

I didn't find much to rave about with Gawn's 2019 season, but Grundy has been more consistent.

But I don't see a great divide between Gawn, Grundy and Goldstein (huh, Three G's) in skill, its a tight race, or at least has been so for the past couple seasons.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
51 hit outs
14 contested possessions
9 clearances (against a midfield consisting of Ward, Coniglio and Kelly)
4 one percenters
3 intercepts
5 score involvements
1 goal

...............100% TOG.

That's as lion hearted an effort as you will see from a ruckman. Superb.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In what way did it do him more harm.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They are pretty amazing numbers, especially against a high credentialed opponent like Jacobs. Was one of the best in round 1 and BOG in round 2, if he can continue this run we are going to be a difficult opponent to beat this season.

It will be interesting to see how he compares to past great Ruckmen of the NMFC when he is career is over. Hopefully still a few years away.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Back