Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

There you go!

Todd Goldstein likely to stay at Kangas as Essendon poised to up offer to keep Sam Draper
Talks are underway with North Melbourne and Todd Goldstein’s management on a new deal, while the Bombers are expected to up the ante in their bid to keep Sam Draper.

Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

Free agent Todd Goldstein is likely to remain at North Melbourne as a one-club player as he hits the hottest form stretch since his 2015 All Australian season.

Goldstein has been consistently linked to St Kilda, but their ruckmen Rowan Marshall has turned into one of the league’s best ruckmen as his exceptional season continues.

Kangaroos veteran Goldstein’s last month has been massive, putting together four games of 131, 149, 132 and 124 ranking points.

He is averaging career highs for disposals, contested possessions, clearances and centre clearances.

He is in talks to remain at the Roos in what would likely be a multi-year deal, having only just turned 31 and determined to play on well into the future.

The All Australian would ideally like to be a one-club player, having played 12 mostly excellent seasons at the Roos.

It would be a bizarre career move to shift to a club like St Kilda where Marshall is clearly the No.1 ruck prospect for the foreseeable future.

St Kilda has offered Essendon ruckman Sam Draper $1.4 million of guaranteed cash over four years plus incentives.

But Essendon is expected to lift its offer to Draper to help him stay, having already lost budding ruck/forward Josh Jenkins to Adelaide in 2011 when it was seen to have strong ruck stocks.

Essendon coach John Worsfold told SEN Radio he expected Draper to stay.

“Yeah I’m really confident (that we’ll be able to keep him),” Worsfold said.

“Those clubs have them on their radar, we have him definitely on our radar.

“We think he could be a wonderful, well and truly 200-game ruckman for the Essendon Football Club and have a great career.

“The development the guys have put into him so far has been awesome and he gets the credit for the work ethic he’s got, he’s a great young kid with a great attitude and he’s lapped up the program the boys have put in place for him.”

His kicking has gone down the shitter, used to have neat skills, no he shanks it too often.
I did like the fact that martin wasn't able to throw him around last match, showed some strength.

Yep. Wouldn't be letting him walk unless the money / years was completely out of the range that we think is reasonable. Would think we would be happy to give him 2-3 years on decent but reduced money from early in the last contract.
Yep. Surely a drop in the ocean with our massive war chest....

His kicking has gone down the s**tter, used to have neat skills, no he shanks it too often.
I did like the fact that martin wasn't able to throw him around last match, showed some strength.
Not sure what has happened there. I used to love the way he would hit up short targets and leading players. Very rarely went long down the line like most ruckmen do.....

He’s been good, but this means we won’t see a chance for our VFL ruck set up?

I wouldn’t mind testing to see whether Campbell works for us before seasons end. Then make a decision on Goldy. Can’t hurt to try and plus Campbell definitely deserves a shot

He is part of the reason why the middle is leaking. Yes it is midfield is down but he is part of that. He has turned to Mr fumbles with glimpses of elite tap work. He doesn’t mark and he hardly tackles

I don’t know, we need to take a risk imo

Personally I don't understand why so many posters here appear to want Goldy to leave. He's been one of our best players for a decade.

Nor do I get the calls for Campbell to play. He did play, and in those appearances sadly showed why the Dogs cut him. His miss against Hawthorn from straight in front was part responsible for the loss, given we were on pushing hard before Wingard kicked a couple to shut the gate. He's great in the VFL, but the VFL and AFL are not comparative.

Personally I don't understand why so many posters here appear to want Goldy to leave. He's been one of our best players for a decade.

Nor do I get the calls for Campbell to play. He did play, and in those appearances sadly showed why the Dogs cut him. His miss against Hawthorn from straight in front was part responsible for the loss, given we were on pushing hard before Wingard kicked a couple to shut the gate. He's great in the VFL, but the VFL and AFL are not comparative.
I think Campbell could be as good as some of the AFL ruckmen running around. That’s a fair way short of what Goldy has delivered this season. If we can keep him without going over what the club thinks is reasonable on money or years, of course we should. Campbell has played really well and seems like an outstanding citizen, but he’s still the backup.

I think Campbell could be as good as some of the AFL ruckmen running around. That’s a fair way short of what Goldy has delivered this season. If we can keep him without going over what the club thinks is reasonable on money or years, of course we should. Campbell has played really well and seems like an outstanding citizen, but he’s still the backup.

Fair comment IMO.

I’m more than happy to keep Goldy because I think he still today covers up some gaps in our team. That said, if the cost to keep him was the difference between picking up two high quality ready to go mids <24 with pace, skill and aggression I’d be thinking very hard about where we are at and what sets us up over the next 4-5 years. Covering up gaps is less of an issue when those gaps are gone, teams have won premierships with journeyman ruckman IMO.

Tough to be making these decisions at a time with major areas of the admin in limbo. My view is we need to tidy up the coaching appointment (if we haven't already) sooner rather than later. Rawlings can "unofficially" contribute but the team as a whole needs to be making decisions in the next 3 months that set us up for 2020-23 which IMO is a realistic frame before we are more likely to regress than improve due to the ages of Cunnington & Tarrant in particular.

pretty odd report by ralphey, rambling on about marshal being so good that any other ruckman thet went there would be second string then claims that the saints would be offering draper big coin????

Marshal will be one of the best ruckman in the league, they don't really have any one else so chasing Draper would make more sense then chasing Goldy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshal will be one of the best ruckman in the league, they don't really have any one else so chasing Draper would make more sense then chasing Goldy.

Why play your VFL games near the airport when you can enjoy a fresh bayside breeze instead?

Goldstein is half the player he was in 2015, which still means he is a top 5 ruckman in the game. If he's willing to accept what he's worth as an aging but dominant ruckman, we'd be silly not to re-sign him.

Goldstein is half the player he was in 2015, which still means he is a top 5 ruckman in the game. If he's willing to accept what he's worth as an aging but dominant ruckman, we'd be silly not to re-sign him.

I think Tef nailed down what the perception issue is with Todd. His 2015 was an over and above year of excellence that threw an unrealistic judgement over all his other seasons.

As you say he's still top 5 but I don't think he should have to play for any sort of unders considering his form and availability to date.

I want Goldy to stay, he is a good ruckman. But, not at any price.

I think Tef nailed down what the perception issue is with Todd. His 2015 was an over and above year of excellence that threw an unrealistic judgement over all his other seasons.

As you say he's still top 5 but I don't think he should have to play for any sort of unders considering his form and availability to date.

I agree with wholeheartedly. It was an anomaly that Goldstein was so much better than everyone else. He may have only been as good as Grundy/Gawn are today, but every other ruckman was not on his level. With the exception of Sandilands, he was going in and absolutely humiliating everyone.

I want Goldstein to be pushed out of his spot, not for it to be gifted to a B-grade ruckman because of "transition". We tried that with Boomer, and it left us with a gaping hole in our forwardline.

I don't think people want Goldy to leave but we shouldn't be throwing the kitchen sink at him in terms of contract length and dollars. It is more a view that if there are going to be very big offers elsewhere then he is likely to leave.

Campbell was played out of position in the AFL team. He is a ruckman not a forward. His form in the VFL has been compelling and sustained. I don't think you could complain if he was given another crack at AFL level.

Goldy's tapwork is second to none. He can create a lot of play with his deft tapwork. His other skills kicking and below the knees have gone downhill. Not sure what happened there as once upon a time when he had ball in hand he was very good.

I don't think it is a perception issue. If he didn't have Cunnington to hit to then I think he would be an average ruckman, Cunnington made Campbell look like a top line ruckman statistically as well. In terms of winning the ruck contests he is currently 26th in the AFL, there are about 10 non-ruckman ahead of him so even at 16th it is not remotely close to top 5.

He takes less than one contested mark a game and we bang ball after ball to him from rebound 50 clearances and he spills almost every mark with the slightest of body contact. He doesn't work as hard around the ground anymore, he doesn't push forward aggressively anymore, he has dropped off on what made him a great ruckman.

He is a decent ruckman and I would prefer us to retain him because... our other options are shithouse. However, I wouldn't pay the earth for it, his inflexibility when it comes to working with other ruckmen is going to create a nightmare scenario eventually if and when we do find a better ruckman. We already lost Preuss because of it, how long can we stifle Xerri or anyone else we may acquire who is good enough to play at AFL?

I don't think it is a perception issue. If he didn't have Cunnington to hit to then I think he would be an average ruckman, Cunnington made Campbell look like a top line ruckman statistically as well. In terms of winning the ruck contests he is currently 26th in the AFL, there are about 10 non-ruckman ahead of him so even at 16th it is not remotely close to top 5.

He takes less than one contested mark a game and we bang ball after ball to him from rebound 50 clearances and he spills almost every mark with the slightest of body contact.

He is a decent ruckman and I would prefer us to retain him because... our other options are s**thouse. However, I wouldn't pay the earth for it, his inflexibility when it comes to working with other ruckmen is going to create a nightmare scenario eventually if and when we do find a better ruckman. We already lost Preuss because of it, how long can we stifle Xerri or anyone else we may acquire who is good enough to play at AFL?

Preuss is hardly driving it back up our backsides this year. Maybe in the future but not so far.

I get your point but rating Goldstein only on the basis of him having Ben Cunnington in his on-ball group is selling him incredibly short imo.

Ben Cunnington doesn't explain Todd's incredible tank, disposal skills or deft touch over his career nor his very good nouse around goal - not many ruckman can claim 2 bags of 5 in their careers.

I think that's colouring people's perception of just how well he's going this year, for sure. Apart from 2015, he he's had two other AA-squad years - 2011 and 2013. This year compares very well to both of those on basic numbers:

Anyone complaining about how much money he made in 2016-17 could also note that he played at AA-squad level for 5 years on not much before that. He doesn't owe us s**t. Every player's entitled to take what the market will give them if they choose to.

I've only seen Campbell live in the VFL once but what stood out to me was how dynamic he was in general play, and I have doubts about that translating to AFL level given his well established body of work.

I don't want Goldy to leave but if he does he does, and if it happened I'd be fine with Campbell holding the fort for a couple of years while we develop Xerri or go shopping for a replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back