Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Many would argue that Todd Goldstein was at the peak of his powers in 2015, but at 32 years of age, is it possible he’s playing the best football of his career in 2020?

The stats certainly suggest he’s around the mark.

While Goldstein had far and away his best season in terms of hit-outs in ’15, with 44 a game, it’s the other areas of his game that have stepped up a notch.

“I think I’m having a different year to 2015, but it’s probably been the most consistent, well-rounded season I’ve had,” he told 3AW.

“That year I was probably doing very well in the ruck, but I think my impact around the ground wasn’t quite as much as this year, which has been the pleasing aspect.”

Week in, week out, Goldstein has proven himself as an elite clearance player, alongside the likes of Lachie Neale, Patrick Cripps and Clayton Oliver.

In fact, he leads all comers for total clearances this year, with almost seven a game.

It’s easy to forget Goldstein stands at 201 centimetres tall, such is his presence when the ball goes to ground. He can often be seen roving his own taps, or dishing off quick hands to a running midfielder.

The North big man has averaged 16 disposals a match, and is athletic as they come, playing below 90 per cent game time just once in 2020.

“It’s about me working on what my strengths are, and my strengths are once the ball hits the ground, being able to get involved and try and be that fourth midfielder,” Goldstein said.

“I think that’s what we’ve been able to take to another level this year.

“I’m working a lot with our midfield coaches Jarred Moore and Leigh Adams to try and make that a real strength of mine.”

Earning another All-Australian nod will be no easy task; Max Gawn and Nic Naitanui are among those in hot competition, but Goldstein will be first in line if he can continue his outstanding form.

afl.com

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

League-wide he doesn't get enough respect and accolades for his work but in due time he'll go down as one of the all-time greats.

If he believes he has another 2-5 years, that's great. But the club now owes him by getting him a premiership medal because he bloody deserves it.

Congrats Goldy on 250!

Damn that's massive feat for the big man. In another era he'd have been a Brownlow winner for sure, off the back of his 2015 campaign or this year's monster season. Like Teasdale and Dempsey (yes I know who he played for at the time, don't care) and McKernan (posting from the future when the AFL apologises to Corey for that bullshit suspension and retrospectively awards him the medal). 3 great North ruckmen who all won Charlies, and Goldy is right there with them as far as I am concerned.

I would like to see him rested for the last game of the season as I would like to see how Xerri goes in a full game in the ruck - he's not ready to carry that load, but going into pre-season knowing what it's like to do Goldy's job would be invaluable for him. Plus Goldy deserves to get on the beers after this weekend and 250 big ones.

Well done big fella. And as per my signature - he was right. There is something special about this club.

The youngsters in the squad could do far worse than take a leaf out of Goldy’s words in that interview. He knew he’d go well this year as he knew he’d done the work and he’s already planning his preseason to ensure he gets better.

Go well you multi schlonged gun!

Back