Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

He is definitely still struggling. Slowly getting better but still can barely get out of second gear
I assume we'll have to wait until season's end to find out the true extent of his knee injury but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it requires surgery. Looks like he's done a PCL to me - his kicking's lost penetration and he's barely getting off the ground at contests. The fact that he's providing even serviceable output is a tribute to his toughness.

He is definitely still struggling. Slowly getting better but still can barely get out of second gear

Agree, need to play Maj consistently to enable him significant rests.

We need to play the side in a way we get the best out of our best player.

At the moment Goldy needs Maj.

Ruck is such a demanding position to play, you are constantly getting smashed.

Using Petrie for a chop out isnt such and bad idea i think, he seems to play better there.

Goldy can also rest forward.

its too hard for a player to play Ruck one out for the whole year.

It's a shame Waite is injured as otherwise I wouldn't be against giving Goldstein another spell.

Would assist in getting ready for the two much bigger games coming up after the 'Bravery Sooks' having to deal with injuries.

But as Waite will miss, and Majak comes in regardless to cover Waite and help Goldy (rather than Goldy out and Majak/Drew ruck), that can't happen.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is anyone else sick and tired of his soft and meek style of play? Is one of the least imposing ruckman, never asserts his authority and has been beaten soundly by most opposing ruckman this year (even Jackson Trengove) who is a makeshift one. Needs to harden up or get out of the team imo and let big Preussy run riot, lay some bone crunching tackles and actually back his team mates in the clinches against tough contested sides such as Sydney and GWS.
silly post

A year ago this would have seemed ridiculous but, given where the club and goldy seem to be at, I wouldn't be against trading him if the price is right. You have to trade quality to get quality after all. Thoughts on Goldy to either GWS for Rory Lobb, WHE and a 1st/early 2nd or to Gold Coast with a pick for O'Meara and Swallow? I'd argue that all of the great sides in recent times have proven that an a+ midfield and a b grade ruck beats our current a+ ruck and b grade midfield.

Is it just me, or is anyone else sick and tired of his soft and meek style of play? Is one of the least imposing ruckman, never asserts his authority and has been beaten soundly by most opposing ruckman this year (even Jackson Trengove) who is a makeshift one. Needs to harden up or get out of the team imo and let big Preussy run riot, lay some bone crunching tackles and actually back his team mates in the clinches against tough contested sides such as Sydney and GWS.

A year ago this would have seemed ridiculous but, given where the club and goldy seem to be at, I wouldn't be against trading him if the price is right. You have to trade quality to get quality after all. Thoughts on Goldy to either GWS for Rory Lobb, WHE and a 1st/early 2nd or to Gold Coast with a pick for O'Meara and Swallow? I'd argue that all of the great sides in recent times have proven that an a+ midfield and a b grade ruck beats our current a+ ruck and b grade midfield.

Ah, it's like the Goldstein threads of old.

He's been playing under significant duress for most of the year lads. Reel. It. In.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you serious? Lol

In the following rounds before he got injured he was the best and most influential ruck we have ever seen in the afl. Hell I'll even say even better than last year.

I suggest you read from the start then come back.....

Are you serious? Lol

In the following rounds before he got injured he was the best and most influential ruck we have ever seen in the afl. Hell I'll even say even better than last year.
Take 2 bex and go to bed........you have a fever mate. He played solid footy last year >>> enough to get the AA nod. He is too nice, that is his problem. I have always said this and I stand true to my belief that we shouldnt be using the words such as "champion" which is used too loosely often in my eyes.
I think he is too reliant on confidence as he is a confidence player......I hope this is around the corner because the club still has hopes of turning our recent form around for a finals push this year.
I know I'm a critic but if Zeibs can make him a playlist with "eye of the tiger" and the like on it and he can regain the inner belief that was there in the first 6 rounds of this year well .... we'll be on our way again. Hopefully we can make some footy pundits eat their words. Quite frankly I'm sick of watching Nth Melbourne footy club play the way that they have the last 3 months.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Take 2 bex and go to bed........you have a fever mate. He played solid footy last year >>> enough to get the AA nod. He is too nice, that is his problem. I have always said this and I stand true to my belief that we shouldnt be using the words such as "champion" which is used too loosely often in my eyes.
I think he is too reliant on confidence as he is a confidence player......I hope this is around the corner because the club still has hopes of turning our recent form around for a finals push this year.
I know I'm a critic but if Zeibs can make him a playlist with "eye of the tiger" and the like on it and he can regain the inner belief that was there in the first 6 rounds of this year well .... we'll be on our way again. Hopefully we can make some footy pundits eat their words. Quite frankly I'm sick of watching Nth Melbourne footy club play the way that they have the last 3 months.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't think he will get any better without surgery to be honest. Hope I am wrong though

Bloody disappointed in Todd's lack of support for Lindsay when the latter had a GWS bloke scragging him miles behind play.

Any chance you could break out of a ******* WALK and get over and fly the flag for your mate who's getting throttled 5 metres away?

Then you can't be asked even making an effort to get the bloke off Lindsay anyway! Do you even lift, bro?

I'm not asking you to king hit someone.

I'm asking you to show some heart and some signs of life as a member of a team.

Your attitude stinks at the moment and will filter down of it hasn't already.

Bloody disappointed in Todd's lack of support for Lindsay when the latter had a GWS bloke scragging him miles behind play.

Any chance you could break out of a ******* WALK and get over and fly the flag for your mate who's getting throttled 5 metres away?

Then you can't be asked even making an effort to get the bloke off Lindsay anyway! Do you even lift, bro?

That intent by LT needed to be the constant.
He missed crucial goals and didn't impact the scoreboard enough.
Loved it when he and JED lined up Ward tho, when Goldi clearly didn't in the play prior

I noticed that also SM and throughout it I was yelling for Goldy to help out, which he didn't do.

No, no, nope, no and is comfortable being a first picked AFL footballer.

Dan Currie on the other hand, Yes, yes, yes and yes, starved of opportuntiy and will never forget that punch he threw at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back