Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Presser very strange: "has he turned the corner - maybe a bit premature but he took a step forward".

Why are we waiting for someone to "turn the corner" when we have a firing replacement in the twos getting frustrated for opportunity? Trying to keep up his trade value?
If the coach hasn't managed to learn anything after the hundred or so years he's been in charge, it aint likely he's going to start now,

He's going at 60% Todd.

If someone in Melbourne wants Goldy at the end of the year he should be traded. He is an asset that will not be around by the time we are playing finals, we can create some more space in our cap and have a bloke waiting in the wings who will benefit from the exposure.

He is not culturally critical given he aint one of the boys and he doesn't provide any impetus on the ground so he won't be a big loss.

We might even get something decent in return.

Todd Goldstein says his future lies with North Melbourne after a return to form against St Kilda

NORTH Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein has quashed speculation that this season could be his last at the club, reiterating he wants to win a premiership with the Kangaroos.

Goldstein was at the centre of several trade rumours during last year’s exchange period, most notably with one report linking him with a high profile move to West Coast.

However, despite a relatively indifferent form spell to start the 2017 season and the emergence of young Braydon Preuss, Goldstein has reiterated his future is at Arden Street.

“I want to be a premiership player at North Melbourne,” Goldstein told Fox Sports News’ AFL Today.

“That’s where my heart stays and I’m doing everything I can to get back to that.

“I feel like everything’s not that far off. It’s very close, we’ve just got to put that icing on the cake.”

By his own admission, Goldstein has endured a disappointing campaign so far and has been well down on his elite form of years gone by.

An All-Australian and a club best and fairest winner in 2015, the 28-year-old is now the seventh-ranked ruckman in the competition according to Champion Data’s ranking points.

However, with 33 hit-outs to go with 17 disposals, six clearances and a goal in Friday night’s loss to St Kilda, Goldstein began to re-find his best form.

“I’ve set a high standard for myself over the last few years and I know myself that I haven’t reached that standard I set,” Goldstein said.

“I’m not happy with how I’ve been going. I don’t think I’ve been terrible. I think I’ve been playing okay, but I think last night might have been a step in the right direction.

“I got a lot more involvements and hopefully won my spot and I think our midfielders were a lot happier last night.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tod...a/news-story/1d663c3db581c63626dea8ca30e5253e

Some refreshing honesty. I'm backing you in Todd.:thumbsu:

Todd Goldstein says his future lies with North Melbourne after a return to form against St Kilda

NORTH Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein has quashed speculation that this season could be his last at the club, reiterating he wants to win a premiership with the Kangaroos.

Goldstein was at the centre of several trade rumours during last year’s exchange period, most notably with one report linking him with a high profile move to West Coast.

However, despite a relatively indifferent form spell to start the 2017 season and the emergence of young Braydon Preuss, Goldstein has reiterated his future is at Arden Street.

“I want to be a premiership player at North Melbourne,” Goldstein told Fox Sports News’ AFL Today.

“That’s where my heart stays and I’m doing everything I can to get back to that.

“I feel like everything’s not that far off. It’s very close, we’ve just got to put that icing on the cake.”

By his own admission, Goldstein has endured a disappointing campaign so far and has been well down on his elite form of years gone by.

An All-Australian and a club best and fairest winner in 2015, the 28-year-old is now the seventh-ranked ruckman in the competition according to Champion Data’s ranking points.

However, with 33 hit-outs to go with 17 disposals, six clearances and a goal in Friday night’s loss to St Kilda, Goldstein began to re-find his best form.

“I’ve set a high standard for myself over the last few years and I know myself that I haven’t reached that standard I set,” Goldstein said.

“I’m not happy with how I’ve been going. I don’t think I’ve been terrible. I think I’ve been playing okay, but I think last night might have been a step in the right direction.

“I got a lot more involvements and hopefully won my spot and I think our midfielders were a lot happier last night.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tod...a/news-story/1d663c3db581c63626dea8ca30e5253e

Some refreshing honesty. I'm backing you in Todd.:thumbsu:

I wouldn't read too much into it.

I saw the interview on Fox Footy and he basically just rolled out the clichéd answers you'd expect to the clichéd questions asked.

That's bigfooty for you. It's not just Todd.
Of all people answering my comment a person who's infatuated in him or related to him.
We've seen in Scott's time early thats he is a teaching coach with a huge reluctance to drop his favourites but in the end he started to drop Thomas , Atley........but if there were anyone this year who needs a spell in the VFL its Goldstein.

I thought the 'step in the right direction' or 'step forward' was an apt description. Not quite breakout, but it's clear that Scott has had a frank conversation with Goldstein about where he's at and that he needs to step up. This is not the same as the crap we heard about Petrie etc. last year. It was clearly a shot across the bows and Goldy responded. Hopefully it's the first of a number of steps back towards his best form.

Personally, if he's trade bait in a Kelly deal, however, and Preuss continues his trajectory, I'm not at all fussed if he moves on. All the more reason for him to find form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as BS is our coach TG will not be traded, not sure why peeps don't get that?
List management decisions aren't his purview though. Surely it depends on what we need to get trades done at the end of the year. Brad has said a fair bit - with respect to himself - about moving on if the club decides it's time. Same goes for Goldy. I can't imagine Brad would hold himself to this, and not the players. Indeed, and I've said this re Swallow, I believe he's aimed these comments at players, not just the media with respect to himself.

[QUOTE="Kimbo, post: 50845754, member: 5884"]List management decisions aren't his purview though. Surely it depends on what we need to get trades done at the end of the year. Brad has said a fair bit - with respect to himself - about moving on if the club decides it's time. Same goes for Goldy. I can't imagine Brad would hold himself to this, and not the players. Indeed, and I've said this re Swallow, I believe he's aimed these comments at players, not just the media with respect to himself.[/QUOTE]

Mate with all due respect Brad Scott will not part with TG, no matter how we as fans want to word it, Brad is in-charge and has a huge say in decision making.

Fwiw- I would employee a coach and not let them be involved in recruiting or match day selection. But I walk a different path than plenty.

Mate with all due respect Brad Scott will not part with TG, no matter how we as fans want to word it, Brad is in-charge and has a huge say in decision making.

Fwiw- I would employee a coach and not let them be involved in recruiting or match day selection. But I walk a different path than plenty.

How would that work?

How would that work?

Glad someone asked.....

We have recruiters that visit games and would compile a list of available talent and like anyone make an educated decision on who we should draft. We have other positions at the club who could then decide which areas we have gaps and draft from there. I would hope we collectively don't think a coach can also spot talent and develop it on his own? Sheesh If true I would love to meet such an individual.

Then the selection committee pick the side and the coach whoever that may be....... coaches. Removes pressure from the coach and he then can't be accused of coaching for self preservation , like I am accusing Brad Scott.

So what if a coach has a game plan that depends on certain selections and the selection committee doesn't pick a side for those qualities?

What if a coach feels a player isn't achieving what they need or doing their job properly but the selection committee keps picking them?

That's without considering the way some coaches may see a role for a player in their structures that recruiters don't see.

There would have to be excellent communication and good faith between the coach and the selection committee and to a lesser extent the recruiting staff or things could go very pear shaped. The selection committee would have to really understand the coaches plans and needs, almost as well as the coach did themselves. the selection committee would have to be on the ground during training getting a coaches eye view of what players were doing.

I can see that it might work but it would be a very vulnerable system and I dunno how many coaches would want to put themselves in that position.

If you weren't responsible for selection or recruiting it would be easy to blame those people as well if your coaching was sub standard.

I'm fine with the principle behind what I understand is the basic approach across the board. Namely, the coach has input, but not necessarily final say. That's the principle. In practice it can lead to all parties being overly involved or too uninvolved and things being out of whack.

naturally north you have formed a view that Brad exerts too much influence, but who's to say? It's a matter of interpretation by those involved, and for us, a matter of assessments made from afar, or via second hand assessments.

Goldstein is pure and simple a gun. Injury and personal circunstances have contributed to his form dropping off, but no where near to the extent he needs to be dropped. If we didnt have preuss kill it for us for a couple of games this is a non issue. However what the selectors probably see is that preuss just doesnt have a tank to go a whole game yet, so giving him a full game is risky. His game awareness is also in need of improving a bit. Drop waite and play preuss perhaps? Not gonna matter as finals are done ne way and waite doesnt look like he should be there next year.

Maj and Preuss both need game time. Someone needs to make way for them. I was thinking that Goldy needs to come out of the team along with Waite but maybe Goldy stays and you bring in these guys one at a time.

Goldy can be decent blocking up space in the backline and playing as a link up man. Maybe we play Goldy back of the centre and Preuss/Maj forward of the centre. We'd probably have to drop a tall backman aswell.

Maj and Preuss both need game time. Someone needs to make way for them. I was thinking that Goldy needs to come out of the team along with Waite but maybe Goldy stays and you bring in these guys one at a time.

Goldy can be decent blocking up space in the backline and playing as a link up man. Maybe we play Goldy back of the centre and Preuss/Maj forward of the centre. We'd probably have to drop a tall backman aswell.

Pace ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back