Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't quite place it, he's gone from breaking the all time hit outs record to getting beaten by 3rd string ruckman.

Fair enough if he had lost his spring, but center bounces are only a small component, the major percentage are from ball ups and boundary throw in's which are body on body.

It's like he has completely lost his mojo.

Good v StKilda, dropped right away v Bulldogs.

He is a big concern.

His head is not in the right place, but Preuss is no wonder cure yet. He's still raw.

He is a big concern.

His head is not in the right place, but Preuss is no wonder cure yet. He's still raw.

Yeah I agree, Preuss isn't a finished product, but do any 21 year old promising players have to be to get a game?

Simpkin wasn't ready yet but we all understood the value of games. Preuss will be gassed in the last, but learning against quality opponents may fast track him a year in his development. He's a sponge given how much he has grown as a player in the last 18 months.

Yeah I agree, Preuss isn't a finished product, but do any 21 year old promising players have to be to get a game?

Simpkin wasn't ready yet but we all understood the value of games. Preuss will be gassed in the last, but learning against quality opponents may fast track him a year in his development. He's a sponge given how much he has grown as a player in the last 18 months.

Agree.

I have no problems with dropping Todd and promoting Pruessy, but I just want to temper peoples expectations, considering the zeal that unrealised players tend to attract from some posters. Braydon still needs to work on his tank.

Agree.

I have no problems with dropping Todd and promoting Pruessy, but I just want to temper peoples expectations, considering the zeal that unrealised players tend to attract from some posters. Braydon still needs to work on his tank.
Thats the issue - Goldy can ruck 90% of the game. Pruess wouldn't get anywhere near that. We just need to make sure that Pruess knows he is a big part of the future and his time will come.

He is a big concern.

Preuss has something Goldy currently lacks - a genuine hunger for the contest.

There's very little downside in giving Preuss as much AFL game time as possible for the next 9 weeks. We'll never have a better opportunity to accelerate his development.

There's no point being hungry mate, if you don't have the fuel tickets to make it to the table.

There's very little downside in giving Preuss as much AFL game time as possible for the next 9 weeks. We'll never have a better opportunity to accelerate his development.

My position on this reasoning is well known.

Pruessy's inclusion is well and truly warranted if Todd isn't showing up to play.

Is there a huge issue with Preuss' tank if you're playing Maj in the same side?

Agree. They're a two for one bargain for us. For mine it's Maj / Preuss or Goldy (as far as ruck goes). It felt to me that Daw was off the ground more than I would have liked on Saturday.

I can't quite place it, he's gone from breaking the all time hit outs record to getting beaten by 3rd string ruckman.

Fair enough if he had lost his spring, but center bounces are only a small component, the major percentage are from ball ups and boundary throw in's which are body on body.

It's like he has completely lost his mojo.
At training last week he looked like he was carrying some back soreness.

I just reckon smashing into 100+kg blokes a hundred times a game has caught up with him real quick.

I did think he made a real effort to get on his bike around the ground this week. Not that it was a great performance overall, but that's how he plays his best footy.

And, may as well get him in there playing alongside Dumont and Mountford and the like as he has played with them last year and will be for the next handful of years. Team continuity and all that. Goldstein isn't cooked as a footballer, just needs something. Or maybe he is cooked. At least Preuss will have a physical presence, and Majak is as good as any getting around as a "back up" ruckman

Pruess + maj combo must happen.

It is dynamic and it is important for our future.

Pruess's tank issues are being way overblown in this thread. He has a better running capacity compared to the captain, but it doesn't stop us from playing Ziebell in the midfield every week does it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the issue - Goldy can ruck 90% of the game. Pruess wouldn't get anywhere near that. We just need to make sure that Pruess knows he is a big part of the future and his time will come.

Majak is in the side now and looks fit and healthy. This will make things much easier for Preussy. 63 hitouts, several contested marks, 18 possessions and bucketloads of presence against one of the top VFL sides. He's more than ready. Can't do any worse than Goldy.

Majak is in the side now and looks fit and healthy. This will make things much easier for Preussy. 63 hitouts, several contested marks, 18 possessions and bucketloads of presence against one of the top VFL sides. He's more than ready. Can't do any worse than Goldy.
Goldy was our best player 2 weeks ago. Daw has a big question mark on him - 6 touches 9 hit outs is not adding enough as a back up IMO.

Goldy was our best player 2 weeks ago. Daw has a big question mark on him - 6 touches 9 hit outs is not adding enough as a back up IMO.
Looked pretty good as a forward/backup ruck from where I sat. And right now and for most of this year Goldy has been so out of sorts it's time to see an alternative.

2 weeks ago we had a bye, the week before he, statistically wise, only just pipped Nankervis and the week before that I am not sure if he even bothered to chase Kruezer. He did have more hit outs than Cam Pedersen when we beat Melbourne, but Pedersen snagged a couple, soooooooooooo, best player 2 weeks ago, naaa, against Melbourne, maybe, supercoach wise at least, or most.

2 weeks ago we had a bye, the week before he, statistically wise, only just pipped Nankervis and the week before that I am not sure if he even bothered to chase Kruezer. He did have more hit outs than Cam Pedersen when we beat Melbourne, but Pedersen snagged a couple, soooooooooooo, best player 2 weeks ago, naaa, against Melbourne, maybe, supercoach wise at least, or most.
The game against the Saints - 2 games ago.

I
In a game where the final score was barely reflective. That was the game where the ball went between his legs and then he sunk a snap across the goals and out on the full. He had 3 more hit outs than Billy Longer - whoever that is. I take your point that he is the victim of his own previous performances. But why can't we expect the same level of performance if he is getting the same level of pay? I think we have been dangled a Preuss flavoured carrot, got excited by some big bloke with some enthusiasm and a willingness to throw his weight around and that hasn't helped Goldstein supporter wise, but it is up to him to turn that around. Perhaps its too late. But why not give Preuss and Daw the remaining games this year?

He was good against Witts last time. We have had players that have been worse. The expectation on him is greater than any other player.

The pay packet for him is greater than any other player. Expectations can and should be higher for a 28 year old, highest paid player.

No he wasnt, not even close

What his 17 disposal 1 goal game and a bunch of hitouts that went to them? That game? Nah Cunners, Gibbo and Marley were much better that game.

He was good against Witts last time. We have had players that have been worse. The expectation on him is greater than any other player.

Yeah well he only competing with two others so scrutiny is closer. Currently he is 3rd on form but playing. On form he shouldnt be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back