Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

The laughing thing was the last straw in my opinion. Not only is that disrespectful to North and his teammates but it's a slap in the face to Tarrant - his captain. Lucky Taz didn't should check him when the huddle broke. He deserved it.

You're a professional AFL footballer getting 800k a year. Start acting like one.

TIME FOR GOLDY TO MOVE ON

THE time has come for North Melbourne and veteran ruckman Todd Goldstein to part ways, says AFL legend Robert Walls.

Goldstein was dropped on the eve of Round 18, spending two weeks playing for Werribee in the VFL in an attempt to find some form.

His return matches against Collingwood and Hawthorn were less than inspiring, however, with Goldstein soundly beaten by Brodie Grundy and Ben McEvoy.

Walls suggested the time was right for the emerging Braydon Preuss to be handed the number one ruck mantle.

“I’ve been a big fan of Goldstein’s for many years. I think he’s been a super tap ruckman and gets possessions around the ground,” Walls said on Fox Footy’s AFL Tonight.

“But he’s had two pretty lean seasons by his standards.

I would think the time would be here for him to seek another club and for the Kangaroos to play young Preuss, who looks like the up and coming ruckman.

“I think the timing is probably right for a parting of ways.”

Goldstein is contracted until the end of 2019, when he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.

Sadly not :-( Am a little too far away, only by the engagement of farm life, to get anywhere near the metropolis, so my current commitment level would have me at about 15% That said, I owe Phillyroo a beer or 2, and what has come shall pass, so no doubt I will rejoin the 80% after a solid preseason
Mate you don't owe me a beer at all, in saying that looking forward to having beers with you one day soon. But it will be the traditional round of beers via taking turns when it happens.

There's a bit of Cam Pedersen creeping in to suit people's narrative. Say what you like about his on-field output but as far as I'm aware Todd has never been anything but friendly and warm with supporters or staff.

Some of the posts are suggesting he's some kind of social pariah. Who gives 2 ****s whether he's prolific on social media?!

There's a bit of Cam Pedersen creeping in to suit people's narrative. Say what you like about his on-field output but as far as I'm aware Todd has never been anything but friendly and warm with supporters or staff.

Some of the posts are suggesting he's some kind of social pariah. Who gives 2 ****s whether he's prolific on social media?!
True.

His on field performance has been less than great, but at the function I went to he was 2nd last player to leave and very obliging to all and sundry through the night.

So for mine you can only pin him for performance/preparation related matters.

Just went back to check out the huddle, a few other boys were having a giggle as well.

ForcefulUnhealthyEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif

Just went back to check out the huddle, a few other boys were having a giggle as well.

ForcefulUnhealthyEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif
Theyre all laughing. Tarrant at the start, Swallow, Gibson, Cunners, Luke - pretty stock standard for a huddle

Theyre all laughing. Tarrant at the start, Swallow, Gibson, Cunners, Luke - pretty stock standard for a huddle
Someone must've cracked a joke or set one off. As you say, pretty normal for a footy huddle.

Exactly, I didn't realise we rated players on their off field social life. If he was playing like he was two years ago no one would care.
Let's not pot shot the bloke for his off field persona.
Play the ball, not the man

The laughing thing was the last straw in my opinion. Not only is that disrespectful to North and his teammates but it's a slap in the face to Tarrant - his captain. Lucky Taz didn't should check him when the huddle broke. He deserved it.

You're a professional AFL footballer getting 800k a year. Start acting like one.
Can someone get some vision of this up. Cannot recall it. Either way, if we on here noticed it those at the club that matter would have too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the rime I actually thought it was a good sign to see Goldy laughing. My initial thoughts were "well if there are off-field problems, he is still in reasonable headspace". Also I assumed someone had said something that caused the mirth, rather than showing disrespect to Taz; and now that we can see a few players were laughing, it actually more than anything suggests that morale is pretty good around the club.

In my opinion as a group our boys have tried very hard this year. They have appeared united throughout, when other teams in the same predicament, might have become fractured and disconnected. Losing 5 games by less than a kick would have stretched the collective morale.

In my opinion the players are smart enough and realistic enough to understand that a combination of the loss of 5 senior players from last year, yet another pretty ordinary injury list, coupled with the close losses, are reasons for their ladder position. I am pretty sure also that boys like Clarke, Durdin, Neilson, Mountford, Preuss, Simpkin, Zurhaar, and if not for injuries, Hibberd, Vickers-Willis and Wagner, would be rapt to be either getting regular games or having had their first taste of AFL footy. Why not a bit of a laugh in the third last game of a difficult year/

Besides, I'm pretty sure Taz would have said something along the lines of why is it that the Hawks seem to love recruiting ugly looking, often red headed blokes like Sicily, Glass and O'Brien? If he didn't say it, I certainly wonder why. A lot of blokes are going to get into trouble over the years ahead for punching those very punchable heads.

Has he played his last game for North?

If so, very disappointing way to end his career with us.

Doubt as a club we could have done any more for him.

Will add, I expect Goldy at North next year. have heard nothing to suggest anything different and we would not entertain giving him away. fwiw that's the right decision.

And again Goldy is enjoying life outside of footy. Am sure and it does happen and i'm not saying he was , his ex could have been a bloody Anti-Christ

Will add, I expect Goldy at North next year. have heard nothing to suggest anything different and we would not entertain giving him away. fwiw that's the right decision.

Hope so. He could play another 5 seasons under the right conditions, naturally good tank.

He's in a slump but when he comes good (and I think he will) it'd be good if that's with us.

We land any of these long shots like Kelly et al and he becomes a very handy cog in that machine.

With Majak having gone sharply south this year a Goldstein/Preuss combo still has potential provided we bolster our midfield up to at least a serviceable standard. People might forget Todd has all the tools to go forward as evidenced by him hauling in bags of 5 goals twice in his career.

And again Goldy is enjoying life outside of footy. Am sure and it does happen and i'm not saying he was , his ex could have been a bloody Anti-Christ
no no, I married that one :-(

Yep , now seeing the full vision I accept I overreacted, Apologies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back