Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

whether it is true or not not sure however a very reliable person told me they hadn't heard anything on Goldy, just very little interest.
I heard the same before the trade eon from someone very well placed.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

No rival clubs emerged as serious suitors for contracted ruckman Todd Goldstein - Nick Bowen

So lets say Nick is 100% correct and there is no reason not to believe him. How awesome for us that our highest paid player isn't wanted by anyone. And again the reason isn't important, clearly we got it wrong and this isn't an isolated incident.

List management concerns being raised by individuals on here to me are well founded.

As opposed to your Kelly mail?

My mail was good, I stand by it, I still stand bit it, and it has only been delayed, which is actually a good thing from a bigger picture perspective.

My mail was good, I stand by it, I still stand bit it, and it has only been delayed, which is actually a good thing from a bigger picture perspective.

I don't doubt the mail you received, things can change in the blink of an eye. Obviously it was still a close race with Kelly deciding to remain for a bit longer at GWS. It is incumbent upon us to make sure we are an attractive destination in two years.

Last edited:
So lets say Nick is 100% correct and there is no reason not to believe him. How awesome for us that our highest paid player isn't wanted by anyone. And again the reason isn't important, clearly we got it wrong and this isn't an isolated incident.

List management concerns being raised by individuals on here to me are well founded.
Sorry nn, but that is bullshit.

The reason he is our highest paid player is because he was an AA ruck and a dominant player when the contract was signed. A more appropriate question is how much was he worth at the time of the contract being offered Mid 20's, dominant ruck, great in the contest, runs all day, pushes forward.

That he has had significant off field issues and has been worked too hard through injury is not a list management issue.

The reason he is our highest paid player is because he was an AA ruck and a dominant player when the contract was signed. A more appropriate question is how much was he worth at the time of the contract being offered Mid 20's, dominant ruck, great in the contest, runs all day, pushes forward.

That he has had significant off field issues and has been worked too hard through injury is not a list management issue.

Not that I have the inclination to go back and look through the posts around the time that Goldstein was monstering the league and putting his name in lights, but I'd be almost certain the majority of the board was begging for Goldy to be locked away long-term.

I don't doubt the mail you received, things can change in the blink of an eye. Obviously it was still a close race with Kelly deciding to remain for a bit longer at GWS. It is an incumbent upon us to make sure we are an attractive destination in two years.

My own view is that if Martin signed, then Kelly would have signed as well.

Once Martin basically reneged, JK signed for another couple of years.

From our point of view, losing this years and next years 1st draft picks for Josh to come over this year would have probably been a net loss when you consider where our list is at, so it has been a blessing in disguise. It would have made grabbing another top shelf free agent in 2018 absolutely crucial.

We are better served by taking the current route. Pick up the two midfielders we need via the draft, and pad out the list with some more class, then bring Josh in, add some solid unrestricted free agents and we are ready to go again.

Not that I have the inclination to go back and look through the posts around the time that Goldstein was monstering the league and putting his name in lights, but I'd be almost certain the majority of the board was begging for Goldy to be locked away long-term.

I'd be flabbergasted if the contrary appeared on a single occasion.

The knockers never view his strengths and weaknesses properly anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were offered a 2nd round pick and a future 2nd round pick to trade Goldy with us paying a large % of his salary and we didn't even entertain it. If we were so desperate to get points for next year and get more involved in this years draft it was negligent that we didn't look at it.

Wasn't told which club offered the deal

As far as trading Goldy was concerned in my opinion the clubs option's were limited. Because of his family issues, any potential suitor had to be a Victorian club. And don't anyone dare say, who cares, trade him to wherever we can. When it comes to family breakdown and little children, both mothers and fathers need to be in positions where they have proper access to their kids.

So which of the 9 clubs in Victoria could we have traded him too?

Carlton - Have Kreuzer, Phillips and traded in Lobbe - So that's a No.
Collingwood - have Grundy, Cox and a project rookie in Lynch - So that's a No.
* - Have Bellchambers, Leuenberger, a project rookie in Draper and still have blokes growing taller by the minute thanks to *danksy's work - So that's a No.
Geelong - Have Smith, Stanley and a project in Abbott - So that's a No.
Hawthorn - Have McEvoy, Ceglar and Pittonet - So that's a No.
Melbourne - Have Gawn, a project in King and a rookie project in Filipovic - So that's a No.
Richmond - Have Nankervis, Hampson and a rookie in Soldo - So that's a No.
St. Kilda - Have Hickey, Longer, Holmes and projects in Pierce and Marshall - So that's a No.
Western Bulldogs - Have Boyd, Campbell, Roughead and English - None of them is clearly earmarked as a ruckman but they have enough to go around. So that's a No.

Looking back through this thread it seems that the club was the Western Bulldogs. But that doesn't make sense as they completed the first trade, bringing in Jackson Trengove, allegedly to bolster their ruck stocks.

It is all very well saying we should have traded Goldy and got some magnificent deal. But there were really no options for a 29 year old ruckman, who has just completed his worst two seasons in the AFL and on a fair sized contract.

Last edited:
Bloody amazing when someone posts something that doesn't please posters. Must be a lie. You don't **** around for 18 years and have but one A grade superstar on your list to show for it unless you have a masters in stupidity.

I'm not saying it was a lie. I'm saying that there is no way he was going to be traded to the GWS, the most likely club because of the doubt surrounding Mumford, because the GWS are an interstate club and with his family issues, he would have refused to go. Because he has a contract he was within his rights to say no.

Before everyone gets high and mighty about something, they need to have all of the facts. All of them

well I did kind of say the " reason isn't important", so if you're saying we've flogged our very best player......... isn't that a list management issue?

I personally would look after our most important assets and from what you're saying we aint ever going to be put in charge of maintaining the Sistine Chapel :D

And am not sure the significant off filed issues fly because I hear he's never been happier, loves his new partner.

But buddy take on board what your saying and I suppose at days end, we just gotta regroup and think of the early picks we need.

* - Have Bellchambers, Leuenberger, a project rookie in Draper and still have blokes growing taller by the minute thanks to *danksy's work - So that's a No.

St. Kilda - Have Hickey, Longer, Holmes and projects in Pierce and Marshall - So that's a No.
Western Bulldogs - Have Boyd, Campbell, Roughead and English - None of them is clearly earmarked as a ruckman but they have enough to go around. So that's a No.

Upgrade on all of those, the respective clubs then would have had freedom to move some of them along.

Nail on head.

I think 18 months is a fairly good show of faith from the footy department, as that's how long I think he's been miles and miles and miles off his proven ability.

He needs to start 2018 like he's been shot out of a cannon, or it's welcome to the VFL Goldy.

Time to stump up.

Those clubs may not have wanted to "upgrade" for a ruckman turning 30 next year. They know their lists much better than any of us do.

Of course, but I would think some interest would have been there.

As far as trading Goldy was concerned in my opinion the clubs option's were limited. Because of his family issues, any potential suitor had to be a Victorian club. And don't anyone dare say, who cares, trade him to wherever we can. When it comes to family breakdown and little children, both mothers and fathers need to be in positions where they have proper access to their kids.

So which of the 9 clubs in Victoria could we have traded him too?

Carlton - Have Kreuzer, Phillips and traded in Lobbe - So that's a No.
Collingwood - have Grundy, Cox and a project rookie in Lynch - So that's a No.
Hawthorn - Have McEvoy, Ceglar and Pittonet - So that's a No.
Melbourne - Have Gawn, a project in King and a rookie project in Filipovic - So that's a No.
Richmond - Have Nankervis, Hampson and a rookie in Soldo - So that's a No.

Looking back through this thread it seems that the club was the Western Bulldogs. But that doesn't make sense as they completed the first trade, bringing in Jackson Trengove, allegedly to bolster their ruck stocks.

It is all very well saying we should have traded Goldy and got some magnificent deal. But there were really no options for a 29 year old ruckman, who has just completed his worst two season in the AFL and on a fair sized contract.

good post Horace and what it shows is clubs no longer rate rucks. I'm not going to highlight the spuds amongst that list as I'll run out of highlighters

good post Horace and what it shows is clubs no longer rate rucks. I'm not going to highlight the spuds amongst that list as I'll run out of highlighters

AFL tactics do not grind to a halt.

A ruckman dominates next season and this will swing around 180 degrees.

Bulldogs & Richmond are just a very brief current trend.

AFL tactics do not grind to a halt.

A ruckman dominates next season and this will swing around 180 degrees.

Bulldogs & Richmond are just a very brief current trend.

I reckon Pruess will show the value of a good big man ( 2 years) that plays like a big man. Tough and uncompromising. they should make the smaller fellas walk taller.

I reckon Pruess will show the value of a good big man ( 2 years) that plays like a big man. Tough and uncompromising. they should make the smaller fellas walk taller.

Okay.

Who is going to ruck for the other 40% of the match?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back