Opinion 22 Under 22

The 22 under 22 squad was named tonight, did they get it right?

THE 22UNDER22 2017 TEAM

B: Andy McGrath, Harris Andrews, Callum Mills

HB: Jayden Hunt, Jake Lever, Ryan Burton

C: Josh Kelly, Clayton Oliver, Marcus Bontempelli

HF: Jack Billings, Charlie Curnow, Jack Martin

F: Orazio Fantasia, Eric Hipwood, Tom Papley

FOL: Peter Wright, Zach Merrett, Matt Crouch

I/C: James Sicily (Def), Isaac Heeney (Mid), Ollie Wines (Mid), Daniel Rioli (Fwd)

Captain: Marcus Bontempelli

Vice-captain: Zach Merrett

I would have liked to have seen Moore in there ahead of Hipwood but maybe that's the Collingwood supporter in me.

THE 22UNDER22 2017 TEAM

I/C: James Sicily (Def), Isaac Heeney (Mid), Ollie Wines (Mid), Daniel Rioli (Fwd)

I would have liked to have seen Moore in there ahead of Hipwood but maybe that's the Collingwood supporter in me.
To me, instead of wright, but he did have a poor start to the season

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

THE 22UNDER22 2017 TEAM

Hipwood has done SFA as far as I'm aware. I agree.

jatsad

All Australian
Jan 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moore definitely in ahead of Wright. Had a really good second half of the year.
I just don't get the hype for Wright. He's done next to nothing.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
No way. Not based on his debut against Melbourne.
Yes TG, I think we all saw enough from his senior debut (and only game at that level) to know that this 18-year-old from the bush not only will struggle to make an impact next year, but he has simply no chance of ever making it as an AFL footballer!!!

If you really are a Collingwood supporter can't you just show a bit of support every now and then, instead of offering a never ending supply of this sort of negative nonsense?!

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The lack of under 22 talent is the reason why....short of chasing a big fish like Lynch... or young talent at interstate clubs wanting to come back to Vic....
I'd like the pies to take 4 players in this years AND next years draft....

Means we cut the likes of Keeffe, Oxley, Sier (re rookie), Blair, Sinclair, Schade this year... the likes of Wills, Ramsay, Crocker next year if they fail to improve.

Time to invest in youth

Ted Parker

TED: How’s June?
Jul 15, 2013
Meeanjin
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree Whiskey, build a new player culture from the ground up.
One thing that has been consistent in our list is building / acquiring All Australians Under 22's.
Current players on our list that made that mark -
Langdon, Sidebottom, Howe, Treloar, Grundy, Moore & Elliott.

I think this core would stack up pretty well against most clubs for comparable age group.
(Witts & Beams also made the grade)

One might argue Maynard & De Goey will find their way into the squad for 2018.

No doubt we had a good go at another AAU22 in Lever to slot in at CHB, but $900k that Melbourne has reputedly offered + our pick 6 is too great a price to pay.

I say run with our pick 6, trade out Fas for West Coasts 1st and 2nd round picks and hit the draft hard.

Last edited:

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Yes TG, I think we all saw enough from his senior debut (and only game at that level) to know that this 18-year-old from the bush not only will struggle to make an impact next year, but he has simply no chance of ever making it as an AFL footballer!!!

If you really are a Collingwood supporter can't you just show a bit of support every now and then, instead of offering a never ending supply of this sort of negative nonsense?!
Thought he was and looked out of this depth.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Thought he was and looked out of this depth.
Yes, of course he looked very ordinary in that one game, but he's shown in the VFL he has the talent to be a star, so as long as he does the right thing with his preparation the next time we see him play (seniors) he might be ready to make an impact. He doesn't turn 19 until next month, so he should have a fair bit of time on his side to make it.

Trumpadvisor

Debutant
Sep 14, 2017
Uranus
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you use Elliott as your top age player (he just turned 25) the side looks like this. It's got talent no question but look at the structure, there's bookends but no spine, the backline is solid but no speed. It's a terrible testament to our list management.

B: Smith McLarty Scharenberg
HB: Ramsay Langdon Maynard
C: Crisp De Goey Broomhead
HF: Elliott Phillips WHE
F: Daicos Moore Brown

Foll: Grundy Treloar Adams

Int: Aish Kirby Wills Crocker

Emer: Sier Oxley McCarthy

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

He'll be a jet

I agree Whiskey, build a new player culture from the ground up.
One thing that has been consistent in our list is building / acquiring All Australians Under 22's.
Current players on our list that made that mark -
Langdon, Sidebottom, Howe, Treloar, Grundy, Moore & Elliott.

I think this core would stack up pretty well against most clubs for comparable age group.
(Witts & Beams also made the grade)

One might argue Maynard & De Goey will find their way into the squad for 2018.

No doubt we had a good go at another AAU22 in Lever to slot in at CHB, but $900k that Melbourne has reputedly offered + our pick 6 is too great a price to pay.

I say run with our pick 6, trade out Fas for West Coasts 1st and 2nd round picks and hit the draft hard.

I agreed with everything you wrote until the Fas bit. We wouldn't get a first round pick for him, let alone a 2nd rounder as well.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The lack of under 22 talent is the reason why....short of chasing a big fish like Lynch... or young talent at interstate clubs wanting to come back to Vic....
I'd like the pies to take 4 players in this years AND next years draft....

Means we cut the likes of Keeffe, Oxley, Sier (re rookie), Blair, Sinclair, Schade this year... the likes of Wills, Ramsay, Crocker next year if they fail to improve.

Time to invest in youth

Agree, sick of fringe player top ups. Go back to the well and back our recruiters in to get some good youth on our list. We hang on to fringe players far too long also. That list you have above is a quarter of our list essentially and you would consider none of those to be best 22 material. Most aren't on the right side of 22 either in terms of age so they've had enough time

CarnMags

Senior List
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Hard to have Pies players feature in the 22U22 list, as we haven't hard a first round draft pick in a few years.

That said, we have some elite talent in our 21-25 year old bracket ...

MID - Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Aish
FWD - Moore, Elliott, DeGoey, Fasolo, WHE
DEF - Langdon, Shaz, Maynard

Hard to have Pies players feature in the 22U22 list, as we haven't hard a first round draft pick in a few years.

That said, we have some elite talent in our 21-25 year old bracket ...

MID - Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Aish
FWD - Moore, Elliott, DeGoey, Fasolo, WHE
DEF - Langdon, Shaz, Maynard

The Bolded one's are Elite but not sure about the Others

Back