Delisted 23. Aaron Black (2017 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he can be ha

Cam Mooney turned out alright didnt he?
Let Black play a few games before you let your negativity infest the boards ....
Cameron Mooney was how old when he left North Melbourne? Tell us again when Black turns 26? I don't need to wait for anything as I have seen enough of Aaron Black at North Melbourne and in the reserves to know full well he's a dud. We only have him purely due to our key forward stocks being depleted. Funny isn't, like of all seasons to finally get rid of certain players, the club decides it's a brigh idea to get rid of 3 KPF's at once.

Cameron Mooney was how old when he left North Melbourne? Tell us again when Black turns 26? I don't need to wait for anything as I have seen enough of Aaron Black at North Melbourne and in the reserves to know full well he's a dud. We only have him purely due to our key forward stocks being depleted. Funny isn't, like of all seasons to finally get rid of certain players, the club decides it's a brigh idea to get rid of 3 KPF's at once.

Mooney had just turned 20 when he left North. Turned 21 at the end of his first season for Geelong in 2000.

Have you really? He has been missing large chunks of seasons with injuries
Dud- unsatisfactory, fails to work properly, worthless.

With any luck this year, he will have a season worthy of his pick 92, but I think he will be a revelation. Maybe not Pods-like, but worthwhile, nevertheless.
All based on the same vision you've had.

Last edited:
Have you really? He has been missing large chunks of seasons with injuries
Dud- unsatisfactory, fails to work properly, worthless.

With any luck this year, he will have a season worthy of his pick 92, but I think he will be a revelation. Maybe not Pods-like, but worthwhile, nevertheless.
All based on the same vision you've had.

Plus Nth Melbs forward line ( when Higgins and Waite aernt their - which was most of last season) is more disfunctional than Geelongs if that is possible - kick it down to Petrie or big Ben Brown and hope

I think he could be a really good recruit - Geelong aernt worse off at all - with Kersten gone and Black coming in

Black has got good skill - its not as though he is Butcher who cant kick - and thus is basically no chance to make it

Someone said earlier that Geelong have lost 3 Key forwards - who were they ! - Vardy - who was very ordinary in the 2nds - no loss at all - Clark - who is a mile too slow and injury prone - no loss at all - and Kersten who has got no sense of urgency in his game at all - no loss at all

Im optomistically looking forward to how Black goes

The club offered both kersten and vardy new contracts but they decided to walk. Only clark they 'got rid' of.

So are you saying above all else we should have at least kept Clark on the list?

So are you saying above all else we should have at least kept Clark on the list?

One would think thats the logical conclusion to come to, given that we didn't get "rid of" either Vardy or Kersten.

Not sure that the motivation behind that particular post was to get other posters to apply logic however.

North Melbourne must love dealing with Geelong :$ . . . from McIntosh to Delaney and now yet another bloke whose proven he's simply not upto it. Does have lot of Brent Grgic feel about it though. Grgic did manage to play a few games at least so maybe there's hope for Blacky boy yet.
Delaney?? You think North loved that 'deal'? Interesting..

We needed a depth kpf and black was one of the few options out there. I can live with it.

Yes losing kersten, vardy and delisting mitch clark means we needed someone

So looking down at that list we have one tall that is a genuine tall forward.

Aaron black probably plays CHF i assume they will try stanley first although nothing from his st kilda days suggested he could hold down a spot as a KPF long term. Dissapointing to lose vardy and kersten as i could see them both in our 2017 rd 1 side.

Henderson the other main option to go forward with koladashnij down back maybe its the logical route. Just very little depth a hawkins injury would be devastating.

Talls
Hawkins

Black
Stanley ruck/fwd
Zac Smith ruck / fwd
Lachie Henderson swing
Harry taylor swing
Lonergan
Blicavs utility could play forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes losing kersten, vardy and delisting mitch clark means we needed someone

So looking down at that list we have one tall that is a genuine tall forward.

Aaron black probably plays CHF i assume they will try stanley first although nothing from his st kilda days suggested he could hold down a spot as a KPF long term. Dissapointing to lose vardy and kersten as i could see them both in our 2017 rd 1 side.

Henderson the other main option to go forward with koladashnij down back maybe its the logical route. Just very little depth a hawkins injury would be devastating.

Talls
Hawkins

Black
Stanley ruck/fwd
Zac Smith ruck / fwd
Lachie Henderson swing
Harry taylor swing
Lonergan
Blicavs utility could play forward
That list and summation is spot on, but I see it as a strength.
In an ideal scenario, week after week, Scott should be able to call on each one of those tallls to do a job and they should be trained to do so. Wherever, whenever. True flexibility and potential.
There are not too many other lists that can boast this array of talent.
Clearly consistency is the issue, and after the "getting to know each other year of 2016", this should be more attainable.
Even Lonergan could pose problems for defenders at times if he had to go forward.
And then there's Mackie. He came as a HFF, and ultimately could end up as a roaming tall forward option.
If Black is fit, he could offer us something special- can mark well, is mobile, and an accurate kick for goal.

Last edited:
That list and summation is spot on, but I see it as a strength.
In an ideal scenario, week after week, Scott should be able to call on each one of those tallls to do a job and they should be trained to do so. Wherever, whenever. True flexibility and potency.
There are not too many other lists that can boast this array of talent.
Clearly consistency is the issue, and after the "getting to know each other year of 2016", this should be more attainable.
Even Lonergan could pose problems for defenders at times if he had to go forward.
And then there's Mackie. He came as a HFF, and ultimately could end up as a roaming tall forward option.
If Black is fit, he could offer us something special- can mark well, is mobile, and an accurate kick for goal.

Sheesh Vdubs, think you're clutching at straws calling that list "potent" apart from Hawkins I wouldn't call any of them anything more then adequate as forwards.

Sheesh Vdubs, think you're clutching at straws calling that list "potent" apart from Hawkins I wouldn't call any of them anything more then adequate as forwards.
Ok, fair point, I'll add the inevitable "ial" to potent, that is probably more accurate. Edited.

Dont be worried about lack of Talls. Doggies won a flag a spine consisting of Fletcher Roberts, Joel Hamling, Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd.

Dont be worried about lack of Talls. Doggies won a flag a spine consisting of Fletcher Roberts, Joel Hamling, Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd.
We have NO lack of talls.
We lack consistent effort under pressure.
Several games this year we looked gone at 1Q time.
That we have to rectify.
If a team is able to crack a big lead on us in a quarter of footy, we should be able to at least stem the flow, and better still balance the damage.
Even better would be to prevent those starts.

We have NO lack of talls.
We lack consistent effort under pressure.
Several games this year we looked gone at 1Q time.
That we have to rectify.
If a team is able to crack a big lead on us in a quarter of footy, we should be able to at least stem the flow, and better still balance the damage.
Even better would be to prevent those starts.

I think our skills by hand and foot really let us down as well. I dont even think its pressure, our players just lack composure. If i end up watching high ball forward 50 entries to Hawkins, who resembles a wildebeast to a pack of lions then kiss our flag goodbye. Our forward-midfield synergy needs a hell of a lot of work.

If we can get the same effort and intensity from our group as the dogs did from theirs i won't worry about talls

Yep. But their effort and intensity - sustained for four quarters no matter what - was very different to ours.
I saw a couple of their non Geelong games during the year, and was almost fearful (of their safety) of their maniacal attack on the ball and contest. They have carried that right through finals to perfection, but it would be very difficult to sustain that all of next season, and thereafter- surely??
Over my years of watching footy, what the Doggies did this year was truly remarkable, but you have to question the longevity of that sort of play.

I think our skills by hand and foot really let us down as well. I dont even think its pressure, our players just lack composure. If i end up watching high ball forward 50 entries to Hawkins, who resembles a wildebeast to a pack of lions then kiss our flag goodbye. Our forward-midfield synergy needs a hell of a lot of work.
Technical skills and confidence with ball in hand, with the inevitable overlap, have been areas the team has seen a steady decline in over the past five years. That weakness, set against strengths of height, improved contested/stoppage output lead to the low risk ball movement and press - mostly a down the line, territorial assault. That's all well and good to have as a strategy, but we lacked the ability to change things up or take the game on when an opportunity presented itself. Maybe the Adelaide, WB and NM games being an exception to that rule from memory.

What surprised me was we did finish right up the top end for marks inside 50. Whether our failure to top the scoring ranks was poor set shot conversion, marking in trickier positions, passing when better advised to kick for goal, or a low output from play on situations - I'm not sure. I guess a combination of the above.

There were absolutely some glaring examples of matches where our ball movement into the 50 was awful. But easily as many matches, if not more, where we had far more opportunities but just failed to execute the last plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back