Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Something special about this kid, seen it early on at Werribee last year when he was launching himself into contests, can't teach that sort of intensity in some guys.

His training suggests he has the drive to be something special too. Agree with snake, in regards to defence/forward too. Think he will be the perfect replacement for Taz.
This. Clearly enjoys attacking the ball in the air. Pretty nimble when the ball hits the deck too and looks to be able to apply decent defensive pressure.

I waited outside until the rest of the Contiki gang turned up and in we went.
friggin contiki, teaching people how to roll up tents hung over for over 30 years!

used to hate watching those busses roll us, never a more sure way to totally kill slow wifi internet in a backwater dive than one or 2 contiki busses to turn up :-(

actually a mate of mine was working for them for a few years and actually became 2IC for their busabout division for a while.

friggin contiki, teaching people how to roll up tents hung over for over 30 years!

used to hate watching those busses roll us, never a more sure way to totally kill slow wifi internet in a backwater dive than one or 2 contiki busses to turn up :-(

actually a mate of mine was working for them for a few years and actually became 2IC for their busabout division for a while.

At that point in my life it was the best medicine in 1998. Two great trips in 3 weeks through Europe.

Made one BFF and that led me to meet up with Orange Peanut.

Gotta agree the couple of seasons as a single traveller round Europe still hold very fond memories for me as well, i would be lying if i sad i didnt get a little jealous looking at the pics of Lmac, Garner and clackers enjoying the greek islands and oktoberfest. goos luck to them as well, iam sure regardless of their AFL careers they will look back fondly on them as well.

Yeah was at Oktoberfest in 2000. Missed the BF crew by 2 years.:(
Warm beer & cheeseburgers out of vending machines. Not sure my stomach ever recovered.
Great to see BMcKay training hard. Fired up for a big year.

Yeah was at Oktoberfest in 2000. Missed the BF crew by 2 years.:(
you possibly bumped into me,
Warm beer & cheeseburgers out of vending machines. Not sure my stomach ever recovered.
dunno where you went wrong there, i was on a strict diet of nice cold lowenbrau and pork knuckles.(when i got out of the hoffbrau tent)

Last edited:
you possibly bumped into me,

dunno where you went wrong there, i was on a strict diet of nice cold lowenbrau and pork knuckles.

Could of. Was buying warm crates of beer to drink. Stayed in some caravan park in tents. Remember the guy in tent next to me complaining there was water in his tent. But really he was so drunk, he had pissed in his own tent during the night. :eek:

...Pretty nimble when the ball hits the deck too...

I've only seen Ben play once when he barely got a touch playing up forward against Geelong at Torquay so was very surprised at just how agile he looked against Brisbane. Great attribute for a big lad.

I've only seen Ben play once when he barely got a touch playing up forward against Geelong at Torquay so was very surprised at just how agile he looked against Brisbane. Great attribute for a big lad.
Great chase down tackle as well. Field kicking looks pretty solid. He lives or dies by his marking though and that seems the biggest strength of his game. Could be a decent 2nd ruck too if we lose a couple of the current ones.

Needs a haircut. Good to see, though.

Big question for us is where to play Ben next year. I've seen how good he is down back and just think he's a better fit for CHB/FB, rotating with Taz. I like Sam Durdin, but think Benny is a better fit in that position.
Needs to consult with Ryan Clarke and Dec Mountford for some grooming tips.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For most debutants, being carried off the ground on a stretcher would be a forgettable moment, but North big man Ben McKay is using his experience as inspiration.

Now entering his third season, the key position player is confident he’s developed a strong foundation to help him make 2018 a career-defining year.

“I feel like I’ve set myself up well over the off-season break and put in the hard work, and I’m hoping to see results from that,” McKay told NMFC.com.au

In his first outing back in Round 23 against Brisbane at the GABBA, McKay suffered a game-ending concussion late in the third quarter after colliding with teammate Sam Durdin, but the 19-year-old refuses to dwell on it.

“It’s not the way I wanted it to pan out, but that’s footy.” McKay said.

“It was nice to get that one game in by the end of the year and get that monkey of my back, and I can now use that as motivation to have a solid pre-season, and I feel like I’m doing that so far.”

McKay’s ability to play at both ends of the ground and even pinch-hit in the ruck is a distinguishing feature of his game, and the 199cm youngster is intending on keeping his versatility.

“I don’t want to hold myself to just one position,” he said.

“I think it’s good to keep your options open and be versatile, and I want to be able to impact the game no matter where I play.”

McKay is determined to add to his games tally, and is confident the work he’s putting in will hold him in good stead.

“You can’t look too far ahead and only focus on the session ahead of you,” he added.

“That’s all I’m focused on. So as long as I do that, everything will take care of itself.”

Wish we got his brother too. Imagine these giants at both ends...

Very bullish about Ben

When's the ****en GG back?

He's been in the slot long enough!

well tarrant is 28 so still another 3 years as the incumbent no.1 defender. Nielson will take the FB position freeing up tarrant. Durdin play chb so him and durdin are playing for the one position. If Brown is injured long term then mckay could be the big man forward.

When's the ****en GG back?

He's been in the slot long enough!

He must've accumulated a few infraction points in a short space of time, extending his time off in the process. 20pts earnt in a 12 month period is curtains for an account BTW.

Every time I see footage of this guy I get more and more excited. He's an absolute monster already. You can sense his confidence and swagger in the way he talks and that, along with Preussy we've got a couple of players that are going to enjoy hurting opposition players for years to come :)

I thought his 2016 VFL games showed he really launched into his marks, in a similar way to Carey or McKernan. Looked a natural forward to me.

However he looks nice in defence too. Reads it well coming in and big and (will be) strong enough to handle any opponent.

If I had to choose I'd rather he was a pack-busting forward.

I think the plan is fwd eventually, makes sense with Durds, Taz, Nielson , willing support provided by a myriad of HBFers

Only got Brown up the other end, well Waite too but he's closer to 45 than 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back