Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
He did well.

Good spoiling on a slowish big bloke.

However, might get caught out with a smaller, more nimble forward line. Dogs, pies and alike would have him scrambling.

We shall see.
I agree and that’s when he needs to play the intercept role.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Rutten was an absolutely excellent defender. Dour and no excitement.

Rarely beaten. Same as Dale Morris.

Did he get kicks or create rebound? Definitely not.

Stats have taken over reality of the actual priority of why selected.

I'm not saying McKay will reach that level. I hope he does.

But his disposal stats are irrelevant to me if he's winning the defensive post he's assigned to.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The marking will come with confidence. The bloke has struggled to play a game in 5 years, is fighting for his career and is playing against one of the best forwards in the comp. Of course he is going to play conservatively. Give him the rest of the season and have him attack pre-season with the mindset of belonging and he will be taking those marks come round 1.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
The marking will come with confidence. The bloke has struggled to play a game in 5 years, is fighting for his career and is playing against one of the best forwards in the comp. Of course he is going to play conservatively. Give him the rest of the season and have him attack pre-season with the mindset of belonging and he will be taking those marks come round 1.
You're right. His marking has been a strength in the VFL. Get the basics right at AFL then expand.

I just hope he holds his spot for a few weeks at least.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yep. Once the confidence increases he will starting clunking them instead of the punch

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep. Once the confidence increases he will starting clunking them instead of the punch
Brian Lake springs to mind. Started as a forward, transitioned to a dour defender then within a couple years was pushing his man off the footy and clunking it. Defensive craft first and the rest will come

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

FB_IMG_1595401690519.jpg

I'm heading down to the Gold Coast to get a first hand look at what the hell is going on at Arden St. Luckily I live up here so I'm still out and about, keeping it real. Bumped into a guy called Gav last week - not a bad bloke. He actually know's Depak's brother who was apparently at the MCG the same day Monica Seles got stabbed at Wimbeldon by a crazy Steffi Graph fan. He reckons it seemed so real.

Once I put my feelings out there, and get some privileged information, you guys will be the first to know. First stop - Rhys Shaw.

That opening sentence. :D :thumbsu:

I'm heading down to the Gold Coast to get a first hand look at what the hell is going on at Arden St. Luckily I live up here so I'm still out and about, keeping it real. Bumped into a guy called Gav last week - not a bad bloke. He actually know's Depak's brother who was apparently at the MCG the same day Monica Seles got stabbed at Wimbeldon by a crazy Steffi Graph fan. He reckons it seemed so real.

Once I put my feelings out there, and get some privileged information, you guys will be the first to know. First stop - Rhys Shaw.
Did Gav look like he was missing a neck and give off a 'next Pendlebury' vibe?

I'm in Qld too mate. R u headin tha GABBA on Satdi?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
Went to the opening WAFL round last Saturday to see Subi unfurl another premiership flag, enjoyed some adult beverages along the way, arrived home tired and emotional but keen to get to grips with the North-Richmond replay then heard the dreadful news and decided to shun any vision of the game....... until seeing the clip of Hayden, the gutsy bastard, going back with the flight....anyway, the Benny spoil in that clip was a work of art. Got there in the end, me and him.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bad move to put him on his brother. He’s played against him a few times in the VFL and got towelled up. I think Harry is the big brother. Let Ben play against someone he doesn’t have a history of losing to. Next year when he really owns his position we can send him out to settle that family score.
ben -> casboult
tarrant -> mckay
majak -> mcgovern

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bad move to put him on his brother. He’s played against him a few times in the VFL and got towelled up. I think Harry is the big brother. Let Ben play against someone he doesn’t have a history of losing to. Next year when he really owns his position we can send him out to settle that family score.
Agreed, Ben’s biggest hurdle to overcome is a lack of confidence. Harry knows this and will go out of his way to get inside his head, plus he has him comfortably for pace. McKay is a better matchup for Casboult anyway.

If Casboult is out and Larkey is in then Ben may well be dropped through circumstance unfortunately.

I wouldn't be dropping him irrespective of circumstances. Even with Daw & Larkey available - which seems unlikely.

If Casboult is out and Larkey is in then Ben may well be dropped through circumstance unfortunately.
Hearing they might try him in the middle as a replacement for Jy this week

Back