Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Noble interviewed just now on ABC saying Ben has been practicing his goal kicking and will likely get a run up forward soon as part of his development.

I have been giving this some thought lately, as I can't see anything in Harry's makeup that Ben doesn't have.

Noble interviewed just now on ABC saying Ben has been practicing his goal kicking and will likely get a run up forward soon as part of his development.

(This may just be a ruse to disguise the fact Harry was at Arden St slotting a few goals?)

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not a big fan of it myself, but it would be interesting to see.

Probably the only real time to trial it too. Development year and Taz and Walker can play back.

I have been giving this some thought lately, as I can't see anything in Harry's makeup that Ben doesn't have.
Harry is 3cm taller, 6kg heavier, quicker over 20m, and a longer kick. He's also played his whole career as a forward. Ben is a key back and always will be imo.

We've had plenty of players move from one to the other. Robbie Tarrant, Lachie Hansen, Majak Daw, if a guy has the skillset to do one he can probably do the other. I do think it's better to keep Ben in the backline, we've got Robbie back now but who knows how long he'll be around for (3 years would be the absolute best we could hope for) and there isn't much else coming through

We've had plenty of players move from one to the other. Robbie Tarrant, Lachie Hansen, Majak Daw, if a guy has the skillset to do one he can probably do the other. I do think it's better to keep Ben in the backline, we've got Robbie back now but who knows how long he'll be around for (3 years would be the absolute best we could hope for) and there isn't much else coming through
Yup, if we want a forward we should find someone else, not sacrifice the future of our defence.

(This may just be a ruse to disguise the fact Harry was at Arden St slotting a few goals?)

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Identical twin key forwards in the same side is genius.

This is the trouble with hindsight.

At the end of that year no one could have predicted Maj's future based on reasoned expectations.

Majak, Jacobs, Garner and possibly EVW were major factors in our descent to debacle city. There was a period where we had seriously high hopes for all 4. They all crashed and burned spectacularly. Having said that, Garner might turn out to be the “real” Phoenix in our team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Majak, Jacobs, Garner and possibly EVW were major factors in our descent to debacle city. There was a period where we had seriously high hopes for all 4. They all crashed and burned spectacularly. Having said that, Garner might turn out to be the “real” Phoenix in our team.

Injury is a bastard thing. Maj and Jacobs in 2019 would have made a huge difference.

Garns in 2018, Jacobs for the last half of 2018. There is a lot of "what could have been" in there.

Understand the reasoning behind it but holding players like Jacobs through perpetual injury really hindered our ability to bring talent in.
Had a big injury list to begin with before keeping players who'd never touch the park again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO a little bit of confusion and hesitation with Taz back. Should iron itself out pretty quickly.

Agree, and the imbalance was accentuated by a couple of very mobile GWS KPF's.

Still, I am happy to cop 4 goals combined from Himmelberg & Finlayson.

IMO a little bit of confusion and hesitation with Taz back. Should iron itself out pretty quickly.

I think you might need to explain that in simpler terms so he understands

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

oh no we can play Walkers, Tarrant, McKay, Corr in the same backline, didn't some say?

He'll end up fwd where he belongs, and I've been saying that for ******* ever.

Don’t forget the captain. Certainly a backline full of run. Mind you, I’d be happy if we worked the backline around Big Ben and let the others fall where they may.

Don’t forget the captain. Certainly a backline full of run. Mind you, I’d be happy if we worked the backline around Big Ben and let the others fall where they may.

I reckon taz has years left in him, his game has never been built on pace. He has missed so much reckon his body is sound. Corr as the other tall. Then all of those flankers that hopefully can spend time in the midfield.

McKay and larkey as our linchpins up forward in my humble opinion.

I reckon taz has years left in him, his game has never been built on pace. He has missed so much reckon his body is sound. Corr as the other tall. Then all of those flankers that hopefully can spend time in the midfield.

McKay and larkey as our linchpins up forward in my humble opinion.

Whatever works. When I’m supping from the chalice of victory, I’m not going to complain about how it’s filled.

Totally disagree. Way harder to play in the forward line than the backliner as a KPP.

I was in the Ben McKay as a forward camp circa 2016-18 when he was clunking some strong ones in the VFL.

However his defensive craft has been too promising to ignore. It'd be like having settled Robbie in his best position at 23yo. Now think we leave him there and hope/bank on Xerri + Edwards/Comben/???? coming good and providing some tall support for Larkey.

I was in the Ben McKay as a forward camp circa 2016-18 when he was clunking some strong ones in the VFL.

However his defensive craft has been too promising to ignore. It'd be like having settled Robbie in his best position at 23yo. Now think we leave him there and hope/bank on Xerri + Edwards/Comben/???? coming good and providing some tall support for Larkey.

Agree especially as we have no other backmen waiting in the wings.
As you mentioned we have a few forwards that may step up.
Also don’t think he’s a forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back