Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Agree especially as we have no other backmen waiting in the wings.
As you mentioned we have a few forwards that may step up.
Also don’t think he’s a forward

If we had a mosquito fleet around him then maybe it could work with him down there as a big physical presence.

As it is we don't even have a flea down there let alone any mosquitoes so he stays back.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
If we had a mosquito fleet around him then maybe it could work with him down there as a big physical presence.

As it is we don't even have a flea down there let alone any mosquitoes so he stays back.

Hopefully we look at bringing in a couple of speedsters as our pressure in the forward line is putrid.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have been giving this some thought lately, as I can't see anything in Harry's makeup that Ben doesn't have.
having seen these boys from a young age as you say they definitely have similar bags of tricks, when harry went of to the gippsland power and honed his fwd craft Ben returned to the gulls in the GLFL league seniors playing against grown men . even until recently Harry's set shot routine has been a little bit shakey and has added the round the corner kick as he has never been that accurate with the drop punt on the skinny side. if Bens been working on his set shots and gets consistent there is no reason to see he wont be able to help himself to a few sausage rolls because as we have all seen he has no trouble clunking them. what we don't need however is Levi Casboult Mk 2.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm going to come out and say it, I think Ben went into his shell a little bit with Tarrant back out there.

Same, I think it was his worst game of the season.

Not to say that it was a truly 'bad' game, moreso in the context of the season he's had so far.

It doesn't help that Tarrant himself was also a little rusty.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was in the Ben McKay as a forward camp circa 2016-18 when he was clunking some strong ones in the VFL.

However his defensive craft has been too promising to ignore. It'd be like having settled Robbie in his best position at 23yo. Now think we leave him there and hope/bank on Xerri + Edwards/Comben/???? coming good and providing some tall support for Larkey.

I think it exposes that we are a decent young-ish KPD short at the moment. It looks like we're stacked, but we need someone who will take a few years to come on that will be ready to step into the D50 in 2024-25. Probably need to address that this coming draft.

I think it exposes that we are a decent young-ish KPD short at the moment. It looks like we're stacked, but we need someone who will take a few years to come on that will be ready to step into the D50 in 2024-25. Probably need to address that this coming draft.
Easier to get a half decent tall back though

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Based on how they both talk about each other there’s a fair chance a lot of niggle when they play each other.

They actually get along very well, are very close, and this is just a put on for the public.

They actually get along very well, are very close, and this is just a put on for the public.

I reckon if they played on each other neither would like to lose.
There would be plenty of lip from the winner.
Have they ever played a game against each other ?
Would be interesting if they haven’t how they attack it

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Have they ever played a game against each other ?

I suspect the reason they are now high credentialed AFL players is exactly because of this. They were testing each other all throughout adolescence. No one got a trophy for finishing last.

I reckon I would get along really well with both brothers.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarrant seemed to be playing FB and had his colours lowered (not unexpected with his prep). I don't think McKay played badly, he just didn't get involved as much with taz there. If McKay plays back I think it should be deep.
Trying him up forward couldn't hurt.
Regarding the signings, the 2 brothers are plotting something aren't they? Both coming out of contract as free agents. Hmm....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarrant seemed to be playing FB and had his colours lowered (not unexpected with his prep). I don't think McKay played badly, he just didn't get involved as much with taz there. If McKay plays back I think it should be deep.
Trying him up forward couldn't hurt.
Regarding the signings, the 2 brothers are plotting something aren't they? Both coming out of contract as free agents. Hmm....

I have a feeling he will be exploring his options after 2 years if we don’t start succeeding.

The McKayBowl looms on the horizon, with Carlton and North Melbourne to face off in Round 19.

Twin brothers Ben and Harry McKay have been among the breakout players of the 2021 season, with Harry leading the Coleman Medal right now and Ben holding his own as a key defender.

It seems inevitable that the two will line-up on each other, having not featured together in a game at AFL level.

Ben McKay fired the first shot earlier in the year, telling SEN Breakfast in May: "I normally take the best forward so probably Levi maybe, I don’t know (if I'll play on Harry)".

After signing a two-year contract extension with Carlton on Tuesday, Harry McKay got his chance to publicly retort.

“A little bit of context, I’ve said that line around friends and family about 20 times, but Ben was quicker to get it in front of the media,” the Blues forward told Sportsday. “I think he was quite happy with the response it got. “I don’t want to steal his gag, but I think in the past I’ve had Robbie Tarrant. He’s the number one defender at North so maybe I’ll pencil in a matchup with Robbie.

“Ben might be in the twos by then, who knows.

“I could sew up the Coleman that week (on Ben).”

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The McKayBowl looms on the horizon, with Carlton and North Melbourne to face off in Round 19.

Twin brothers Ben and Harry McKay have been among the breakout players of the 2021 season, with Harry leading the Coleman Medal right now and Ben holding his own as a key defender.

It seems inevitable that the two will line-up on each other, having not featured together in a game at AFL level.

Ben McKay fired the first shot earlier in the year, telling SEN Breakfast in May: "I normally take the best forward so probably Levi maybe, I don’t know (if I'll play on Harry)".

After signing a two-year contract extension with Carlton on Tuesday, Harry McKay got his chance to publicly retort.

“A little bit of context, I’ve said that line around friends and family about 20 times, but Ben was quicker to get it in front of the media,” the Blues forward told Sportsday. “I think he was quite happy with the response it got. “I don’t want to steal his gag, but I think in the past I’ve had Robbie Tarrant. He’s the number one defender at North so maybe I’ll pencil in a matchup with Robbie.

“Ben might be in the twos by then, who knows.

“I could sew up the Coleman that week (on Ben).”

Great 👍 Footy needs more of this.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Great 👍 Footy needs more of this.

Only the best of mates talk like that.

It's great to read about couple of knockabout young blokes for a change.

IMG_6212.JPG

The big mans reply

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back