Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Made one very bad blue that he needs to learn from when the ball dropped short on the boundary and Hawkins marked, and Hawkins got a couple of lace outs that no one would have stopped, but otherwise he held his own against a very strong and seasoned forward. He's building nicely. Definitely fully committed.

I would also suggest that it was a blue but it wasn't very bad. He was caught out of position from the start and you could see a desperate glance back to Taz for help. In the end, he got a lot closer to spoiling it than he had any right to. As he gathers more experience playing on sneaky cheats like Hawkins, he will not allow them to hold the best position. He will be the one nudging them under the ball or out of the play rather than the other way around. It's partly strength but it's more about learning to use his size to occupy the right space and to subtly unbalance his opponent.

I also noticed he patted McKay on the back a few times after some tough contests when they ended up on the ground. It did seem like he was giving him some advice or mentoring after the game to me too

Okay so we can agree that Tom Hawkins is not the total s**t truck like Tom Lynch and that jerk from *. Perhaps a compare the pair clip could be edited together.

Tom also couldn't figure out how much the Cats won by while looking at the scoreboard. I'd suggest he's a few ingredients short of a meal
He's an awesome footballer though. Incredible shot on goal for a big guy. You'd back him from pretty much any spot within 55m of goal. Reads the play just as well as anyone too.

Tom also couldn't figure out how much the Cats won by while looking at the scoreboard. I'd suggest he's a few ingredients short of a meal

Not gonna lie, the guy looks confused by his shoelaces at times.

Another solid game. Looking positive now - if he can keep building on this with his build and size it would be a massive boon longterm.
I had little faith in McKay but must admit he is looking ok and if he can hold his spot on form it will be a real bonus. I wrote Tarrant off at one stage so I hope I am wrong about McKay too.

I would also suggest that it was a blue but it wasn't very bad.

Agree, it was more of a mistake made from inexperience, but it needs to be reinforced a few times in order for Ben to learn that the ball is always live until he knows it has been killed.

Agree, it was more of a mistake made from inexperience, but it needs to be reinforced a few times in order for Ben to learn that the ball is always live until he knows it has been killed.

Tarrant no better example in this regard.

Kills the ball as well as most if not all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's ready, and what he's shown the past few weeks has been an exponential rise in confidence and application of skill we've all seen at VFL level, but not yet here.

He still has more to show, and he's clearly owning any mistakes and making up for it pretty soon.

Got a good experience playing on Hawkins, he's one of the only classic forwards left in the league and he's one of the best.

Once he winds up after 5-6 steps, he can move fairly swiftly.
His agility for a guy his size has surprised me a bit.

If he continues to improve at the rate he is well we might be covered when inevitable gapping hole is created after Taz’s departure.

Just reflecting on the chalk and cheese difference on Ben between today and last time he played Brisbane.

The difference is that the really good footy judges around here can detect raw talent which requires further development & the poor ones need to see it on display. They basically know nothing about football, and you can find them regularly represented in the "I went too early on him" posts.

The difference is that the really good footy judges around here can detect raw talent which requires further development & the poor ones need to see it on display. They basically know nothing about football, and you can find them regularly represented in the "I went too early on him" posts.

I’d be surprised if the difference in his performance is down to what these football judges say about him on bigfooty. Whatever the reason I’m glad he’s come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back