Player Watch #23: Ben McKay -

Remove this Banner Ad

The Anvil

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i suppose right now it seems apparently but for much of the few years before 2020, Mackay seems to be the most useless. Something went right under Shaw.
I believe it was Gavin Brown that got hm there, more so than Shaw.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Anvil

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It'd be great if Ben did want to sign now, but his manager would be outright negligent if he wasn't telling him to hold off and just let his footy do more talking.
Isn’t that what Ben Brown’s manager said too?

Devington

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isn’t that what Ben Brown’s manager said too?

While Brown was 5 years older than McKay, had a degenerative knee condition, was out of form, and the spectre of COVID was looming over the competition.

Slightly different circumstances.

Waynesworld

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
I’ll get howled down for this idea, but I reckon when (if) we can get Taz and Corr on the park together plus Young, LMac, Walker, Bonar, etc. we should push BMac forward.

He has the hands, reads the ball well, is quick, good below his knees, and could be just what we need up forward.

Also would mean finally not having to watch Larkey as our only KPF every week.

Themanbun

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ll get howled down for this idea, but I reckon when (if) we can get Taz and Corr on the park together plus Young, LMac, Walker, Bonar, etc. we should push BMac forward.

He has the hands, reads the ball well, is quick, good below his knees, and could be just what we need up forward.

Him.or Taz - I'm happy with either going forward.

Kangaroos4eva

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2012
QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
I’ll get howled down for this idea, but I reckon when (if) we can get Taz and Correct on the park together plus Young, LMac, Walker, Bonar, etc. we should push BMac forward.

Comben would likely be back and we would have had the mid season draft by then, assuming we take edwards or at least one kpf. Don’t want to mess with McKay at all.

Waynesworld

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Comben would likely be back and we would have had the mid season draft by then, assuming we take edwards or at least one kpf. Don’t want to mess with McKay at all.
I wouldn’t be holding my breath on Comben, and you really think we will find a kpf in the mid season draft of Ben’s quality?

We are potentially stacked for defenders, however up forward the cupboard is very bare,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I wouldn’t be holding my breath on Comben, and you really think we will find a kpf in the mid season draft of Ben’s quality?

We are potentially stacked for defenders, however up forward the cupboard is very bare,
You reckon Ben could cash in on kicks that miss him by 20 feet?

Kangaroos4eva

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2012
QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United

Then send Taz there. McKay has settled down back.
At the end of the day, development needs to be prioritised and McKay is an essential defensive cog for the future.

Themanbun

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Did we shift Taz because it wasn't working or when he came back from injury the forward line was well stocked and working? My memory of when guys like Balck, Petrie, Waite and then BBB all came in and out is a bit hazy.
He's been a dedicated defender from 2015 onwards, when Petrie, Waite and Brown were all playing forward.

Remove this Banner Ad