Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

SUPERSTAR" YOUNG NORTH DEFENDER DESERVES BIG PAY DAY
BY NIC NEGREPONTIS AN HOUR AGO
02GCNM21MRP606324852.JPG

Carlton isn’t the only team with a McKay that needs to be re-contracted this year.
North Melbourne’s Ben McKay is having a breakout season playing as a key defender and is doing so in trying circumstances given the side has not won a game.

Matt Rendell rates the 23-year-old highly, saying he might just find himself in All-Australian contention this year.
“They have got a superstar at full-back in Ben McKay,” Rendell told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.
“When does Carlton play North? I can’t wait to watch the McKay brothers play against each other.
“(Ben McKay) deserves to get about as much pay as his brother does.
“I heard Jacob Weitering this morning talking about key backs and they said Weitering, Harris Andrews, Darcy Moore and Steven May. They’re the four best at the moment.
“I’m putting Ben McKay in there and I reckon some stage later in the year people will be talking about him in the All-Australian selection.
“I love what he did against Tom Hawkins. He was getting beaten playing behind and in the second half he went and played in front and got a lot of the ball.
“I’m really liking what he’s doing. I couldn’t believe they didn’t have him on Jordan De Goey (in Round 8).
“They would be ecstatic with how he’s going, mind you the ball is down there a fair bit.”

We won’t see the McKay-Bowl until Round 19 when Carlton and North Melbourne face off.

On whether the Kangaroos should be considered for a priority pick at the end of the year, Rendell said he was against draft compensation in general.

“No they don’t (deserve a priority pick) and I’ve said this forever and a day, I can’t see why you would reward mediocrity,” he said.

“That’s their own making, where they are now.”

Look out.

I’m not a fan of the proposed switch to full forward. Leave him right where he is, he’s playing beautifully. He’s spent this long learning the role, that it would be detrimental to suddenly move him.

Nor am I. Go and get Harry to join us instead. Imagine having the twins at either end in the Key positions. We would instantly be a much better team.

Not meaning to hijack this thread re the acquisition of Harry, but... The guy is out performing the likes of Josh Kennedy and Tom Lynch at the same age at the moment.

He could conmand upwards of $850K in today's market and have no shortage of suitors, and rightfully so.

After resigning Ben, I hope we have enough cap to make at least a great offer to Harry.

This clipping is from the May 14 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

Kangaroos set to reward McKay with long-term contract
Herald Sun - Friday, 14 May 2021 - Page 78

NORTH Melbourne’s Ben McKay is set to secure a hefty pay rise after a season in which he’s emerged as the club’s fullback for the next decade.

Contract talks are under way with McKay, 23, who has shown he can become the long-term replacement for the dependable Robbie Tarrant. The Roos have plenty of cap space and have Dom Tyson and Aaron Hall coming out of lucrative three-season contracts signed under Brad Scott.

McKay played four games in his first three years before 11 last year and then every match so far this season.

The Roos have conceded 864 points this year — 81 points more than 17th-placed Hawthorn — but McKay has kept Ben Brown to two goals and Tom Hawkins and Charlie Dixon to one goal each.

Josh Bruce (four goals) and Taylor Walker (three) kicked multiple goals against him.

His win-loss record in defensive one-on-one contests is 13th in the competition. McKay’s brother Harry is a Coleman Medal contender set to command more than $800,000 a year, with talks to take place when Carlton hits the mid-season bye.

But for Ben — who has separate management — contract talks will progress more smoothly, in keeping with his role as a key defender. Rival clubs expect Harry McKay will stay at Carlton, but he will be keen to maximise his worth after 30.17 in eight games.

The Roos are expected to take Sandringham forward/ ruckman Jacob Edwards in the mid-season draft. He is a likely first-round pick in the 2021 national draft if he held out.

Clubs have been told midseason draft players can nominate on the proviso they secure an 18-month contract, which the Roos will be happy to hand over. It will allay fears players like Edwards might end careers with a serious injury as mid-season selections when they could have secured twoyear deals in the national draft.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

1620941714993.png

Sent from my iPad

This clipping is from the May 14 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

NORTH Melbourne’s Ben McKay is set to secure a hefty pay rise after a season in which he’s emerged as the club’s fullback for the next decade.

Contract talks are under way with McKay, 23, who has shown he can become the long-term replacement for the dependable Robbie Tarrant. The Roos have plenty of cap space and have Dom Tyson and Aaron Hall coming out of lucrative three-season contracts signed under Brad Scott.

McKay played four games in his first three years before 11 last year and then every match so far this season.

The Roos have conceded 864 points this year — 81 points more than 17th-placed Hawthorn — but McKay has kept Ben Brown to two goals and Tom Hawkins and Charlie Dixon to one goal each.

Josh Bruce (four goals) and Taylor Walker (three) kicked multiple goals against him.

His win-loss record in defensive one-on-one contests is 13th in the competition. McKay’s brother Harry is a Coleman Medal contender set to command more than $800,000 a year, with talks to take place when Carlton hits the mid-season bye.

But for Ben — who has separate management — contract talks will progress more smoothly, in keeping with his role as a key defender. Rival clubs expect Harry McKay will stay at Carlton, but he will be keen to maximise his worth after 30.17 in eight games.

The Roos are expected to take Sandringham forward/ ruckman Jacob Edwards in the mid-season draft. He is a likely first-round pick in the 2021 national draft if he held out.

Clubs have been told midseason draft players can nominate on the proviso they secure an 18-month contract, which the Roos will be happy to hand over. It will allay fears players like Edwards might end careers with a serious injury as mid-season selections when they could have secured twoyear deals in the national draft.

View attachment 1126868

Sent from my iPad

They just described arguably the best true lockdown KPD of the last decade as "dependable".

They just described arguably the best true lockdown KPD of the last decade as "dependable".
Even lockdown is underselling him. A bloody good interceptor too. Nearly as good as Lachie in that role, and I love Lachie.

Even lockdown is underselling him. A bloody good interceptor too. Nearly as good as Lachie in that role, and I love Lachie.

Probably equal to Lachie is he was freed to play that unaccountable role.

Robbie has it all - strength, agility, judgement, skills, courage. And roaring good looks too, of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably equal to Lachie is he was freed to play that unaccountable role.

Robbie has it all - strength, agility, judgement, skills, courage. And roaring good looks too, of course.
I have said on several occasions that either he or Cunners can have my kids.

View attachment 1126868

Sent from my iPad
Just popping in to mention that the Hobart Mercury also ran this story - with a lovely picture of Josh Walker plastered on the side!

Absolutely. My point is just that for mine he is the best true KPD ie. he actually has taken the best players whilst as you point out also being a great 3rd man up, intercept and attacking player.

Am I right in recalling that Duck got reported for fighting Matt Rendell in his first game?
I know on debut Kennedy dragged him twice as he had more blues than kicks. Not sure if he got reported, but if he did nothing came of it as he played the next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back