Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

A standout player for us this year. (with LDU)

He is under immense pressure due to how bad we are, but continues to put in and has played some great games.

Imagine when he has a better supporting cast down back, and better defensive structure and pressure up the field. Tracking very nicely.

Buckets is great... but the intercept stat needs to be pro-rated for inside 50 differential, for a massive chunk of this year, ir has been largely one-way traffic so you would expect our defenders to accumulate a lot more defensive stats.

Buckets is great... but the intercept stat needs to be pro-rated for inside 50 differential, for a massive chunk of this year, ir has been largely one-way traffic so you would expect our defenders to accumulate a lot more defensive stats.

You also need to factor in the lack of pressure on the delivery into the opposition forward 50.

let me ask you this. i don't know what your job is, but would you say you do it better or worse when you have to do twice as much of it in the same amount of time?

McKay is a gun defender.

He is hammered by a million inside 50s every week but stands up and does his job.

I think he can get even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone refresh my memory… Why wasn’t he played more at the back end of Brad Scott’s tenure? I recall that he was genuinely exploring leaving at one point when he couldn’t get a game, what a fun position from a rebuild perspective we’d have been in if that transpired!
We had scooter, daw and tarrant all playing good footy in a finals tilt

let me ask you this. i don't know what your job is, but would you say you do it better or worse when you have to do twice as much of it in the same amount of time?

Not sure it is a great analogy but I understand what you mean, I agree it is a lot harder to be a good defender in a s**t team, but some stats like intercept marks and rebound 50s for a defender are going to be impacted by the supply of inside 50s into your back half.

I guess it is also worth noting that of late he has come a lot further out of defensive 50 under Adams and has been taking a lot more intercept marke through the middle of the ground as the opposition tries to exit their own defensive 50, this will likely be more of a factor as we get better when we can deploy more aggressive tactics like a press. Ben needs to have confidence we can slow the movement of the ball long enough for him to get back for him to do that more. It would be interesting to see the heat map of where he was taking the marks under Adams vs Noble.

This isn't a dig at Buckets, I think he is awesome.

Getting some external recognition is well deserved.

If he was at the Pies or other big club he'd be talked about much more.
Has improved his game since l started sponsoring him and been able to give him advice in how to play his game...;)

Was immense again but got a pretty good rub of the green from the umps. Thought Wright was unlucky not to get a few more frees. If there's a type of player that troubles him, it's the athletic guys that don't want to wrestle and will run and jump at the ball.

Was immense again but got a pretty good rub of the green from the umps. Thought Wright was unlucky not to get a few more frees. If there's a type of player that troubles him, it's the athletic guys that don't want to wrestle and will run and jump at the ball.
Nick Larkey disagrees with this statement.

Did you see what that hack Zerk whatever was allowed to do today?

There were quite a few times that Wright got away with infringing on McKay that were let go as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back